Madison man loses $700 in craigslist scam

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison man loses $700 in craigslist scam

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:04 pm

Man, if the words "wire money" aren't a red flag, I don't know what is.

I mean, geez, I've got a new vitality tonic here for a mere $50 a bottle that will cure everything that ails you, so long as we're all about the business of selling yesterday's snake oil.

Satisfaction guaranteed or I'll wire you a refund.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Azog wrote:Your argument suggests the scum deserve the money because innocent people weren't sufficiently scum-sensitive to detect the con. I agree they're stupid, disagree with rationalizing one crumb the criminals have to live on. Basically we're all paying to feed them.

Your argument assumes there's a way to stop innocent naive people from giving their money to people of questionable intentions. Mine is that it will always happen and your methods are less effective than standing on the shore and ordering the tide to stop.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Azog wrote:I disaggree with Stebben, I do feel sorry for him. Its only a "really stupid thing to do" because some people are still good natured enough to expect human decency in the world.

Alright, look at this random posting and what the hell is highlighted at the top of the screen.

http://madison.craigslist.org/hsh/1659261801.html

That's right it says(highlighted in yellow):

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info

How much more fucking obvious can Craig's List be for people.

And I would say I feel bad, but I don't feel sorry for the guy. If I put a bucket of money on top of my car and drove off, that would be pretty fucking stupid of me. I dunno, maybe I'm just a callous dick.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Craigslist works fine, I use it all the time. The hoarders that monitor the "free stuff" listings will take practically anything off your hands that is in usable shape. The scammers I've encountered have always been obvious, even without the broken english. Like the last one who was interested in 2 gallons of paint I was trying to sell. They said they had some questions but couldn't explain in words so could I please watch the linked video they created to communicate their possible interest in my fucking paint.

I'll be the first luddite to say that I think the internet has been more negative than positive for the world, but it ain't going anywhere so have some common internet sense.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:32 pm

narcoleptish wrote:They said they had some questions but couldn't explain in words so could I please watch the linked video they created to communicate their possible interest in my fucking paint.

Ok, that got a good chuckle out of me.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am

This discussion made me wonder what others have bought or sold on CL so I started this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=48688

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Madison woman loses $2,575 in craigslist scam

Postby Beaver » Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 am

Another local victim of a craigslist scam. This time the victim lost a whopping $2,575 which makes the other man's $700 loss seem trivial. This one also involved a wired money order. When will people learn not to do that?

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 002e0.html

"Renter scammers are preying on Craigslist listers, and a Madison woman can attest to that. The 23-year-old lost $2,575 after depositing a bogus cashier's check for $3,400 then sending a money order to the scammer minus the first month's rent, Madison police reported."

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 12, 2010 9:28 am

Sounds like she's not too bright.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Right it sounds dumb to get a check for $3,400 from alleged renter, deposit it to keep $825, and wire the rest to a stranger. Why not just have the renter send you a check for $825?

But in today's local news there is another CL scam, this time the young victim lost $3,850. When will this end?

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 002e0.html

"A young Madison woman was bilked out of almost $4,000 after getting a "job" from a scammer on Craigslist, Madison police reported. Police said the 22-year-old victim applied for a "job" advertised on Craigslist and was hired as a personal assistant to "attorney Tony Mark."...

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 12, 2010 2:24 pm

This is why we can't have nice things. Seriously though if you are rube or computer illiterate stay the fuck off craigslist. It's useful to those of us who aren't incompetent.

evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Thu May 13, 2010 1:28 pm

I've had people ask, "If I decide not to buy it, will you give me gas money?"

Or show up and give a sob story about child support, etc, could they make payments, get it for free, it's for their kid for 4-H, (I sell various livestock)

Um, if you can't afford to PAY for the large creature I am selling, you cannot afford to FEED it.

Ish.

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Fri May 14, 2010 12:41 am

I had a guy tell me over the phone that I should consider my item sold, and that he'd come pick it up sometime in the next couple weeks. I told him I'd consider it sold when someone gave me $70 and put it in their car and drove off. The very next day he did just that.

That's the only way to buy and sell on craigslist; cash-on-the-barrelhead.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:09 pm

I'll take losing money to this type of shit happening:

Dad shot dead after placing Craigslist ad

“He’s sold different things on Craigslist,” Charlene Sanders told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Tuesday from Puyallup, Wash.

Tragically, Charlene Sanders is a widow today and her husband, James, is dead. He died defending his family from four people who came to the house in response to his ad. They didn’t come to buy the ring; they came to steal it, along with anything else of value the family had.

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37082569/ ... z0nwqO08g1

Now that's some fucked up shit. It's a sad story. Does kind of make me think twice about having someone come to my house.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah that is a sad story. Edgewood, Wash. They say don't meet people in your home. And I would never sell something worth $1,000 on CL. Still, sad story.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Another classic ad. Sounds like a wild time on the West side. Think it's legit?

http://madison.craigslist.org/sys/1876171025.html

Selling electronics need cash bad - $1 (Madison west)
Date: 2010-08-02, 9:25AM CDT

Selling these thing because I got my girlfriends sister pregnant and my girlfriend Pregnant also, so need cash. Will also trade for something of greater value. Please email.

Return to “Town Vibe”