Madison man loses $700 in craigslist scam

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Madison man loses $700 in craigslist scam

Postby Beaver » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 am

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 002e0.html

He wired money to Illinois which wasn't too bright. Craigslist has a disclaimer saying not to wire money. But I wish craiglsist could be policed or handled better. Too many people are getting ripped off.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
(Good advice but I've encountered some people who try to sell broken or defective items in pesron).

* NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
* FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
* CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
* NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
* AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Re: Madison man loses $700 in craigslist scam

Postby Right Bower » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:36 am

Or avoid Craigslist altogether. Which is what I do.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 am

$700 is a chunk of change, so I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

But shit, what a stupid thing to do.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm

I've used craigslist dozens of times in the last five or six years. Only once have I walked away from a seller because I didn't trust him. My good deal/bad deal ratio is pretty good. I've got a lot of good stuff for a good price even counting the ones I shoulda left alone.

Only buy stuff you can go see and test, don't go to parts of town where you feel vulnerable, maybe research it a little on the internets if you're unfamiliar with it, and you're fine.

Above all, never ever part company with any money unless you're standing right there looking at the merchandise. That particular rule has been around a hell of a lot longer than craigslist has.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 pm

HeyZeus wrote:$700 is a chunk of change, so I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

I don't feel sorry. That was a really stupid thing to do. I wouldn't wire money to anyone but my family.

I use Craig's list all the time, to buy and sell. I love it. It works if you actually use common sense.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:stupid thing to do.

stupid thing to do.

There's that demotivational poster with the words "It just might be that your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others."

Azog

Postby Azog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 pm

Beaver wrote:He wired money to Illinois which wasn't too bright. Craigslist has a disclaimer saying not to wire money. But I wish craiglsist could be policed or handled better. Too many people are getting ripped off.

Stebben84 wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:$700 is a chunk of change, so I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

I don't feel sorry. That was a really stupid thing to do. I wouldn't wire money to anyone but my family.

I use Craig's list all the time, to buy and sell. I love it. It works if you actually use common sense.

Fraud is the fabric of the modern age. I agree with Beave, they should do something about it... I also think there's no chance they will.

I disaggree with Stebben, I do feel sorry for him. Its only a "really stupid thing to do" because some people are still good natured enough to expect human decency in the world. Many people may not be aware, but one of the largest sources of internet fraud is Nigerian gangs. They might for instance call you up about an item for sale in the newspaper, profess an interest in buying it, of course they want to send you a check for many times the value of the item; seller puts it in her bank, agrees to wire the "difference" to the "buyer", then their bank tells them 2 weeks later the check is a fraud. If I were in charge I would dole out the aid countries get on the basis of how many fraud agents they can prove have been arrested and jailed. Craigslist represents a large segment of the victim base in this country.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Someone I worked with lost $1000 the same way. He wired this money to a foreign account thinking it was a rent deposit on an apartment he wanted. Of course he lost all the money. I don't think he reported it to the police because it was obviously too late when he realized he'd been scammed.

This happens all the time, not just "occasionally."

I've used Craigslist successfully and have no complaints about how it works, but do exercise some common sense.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Someone I worked with lost $1000 the same way. He wired this money to a foreign account thinking it was a rent deposit on an apartment he wanted.

I saw about a dozen of those listings while apartment hunting last year. I figured out they were scams in a couple minutes. A new 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood for $800/month? Scam. Owners away doing missionary work? Scam. Anything to do with African or SE Asia? Scam.

Azog

Postby Azog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Someone I worked with lost $1000 the same way. He wired this money to a foreign account thinking it was a rent deposit on an apartment he wanted.

I saw about a dozen of those listings while apartment hunting last year. I figured out they were scams in a couple minutes. A new 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood for $800/month? Scam. Owners away doing missionary work? Scam. Anything to do with African or SE Asia? Scam.

I do like it when I'm lucky enough to get an email from a scammer about an item I have for sale - few things more satisfying than a chance to tell them right fucking off in the lewdest way possible.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Azog wrote:Fraud is the fabric of the modern age. I agree with Beave, they should do something about it... I also think there's no chance they will.

Fraud is the fabric of every age.

They should do nothing beyond what they already do. There is no way to fix stupid.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Blaming Craig's is like blaming gmail if you receive a similar scam in your inbox. Typical Luddite response, like those who don't do any online banking or refuse to buy merch over the net. Have used ebay, paypal, CL since inception basically, and also have purchased and banked online as soon it has been available. Literally 1000's of transactions. One time in my life I was ripped off by a cc skimmer. Had nothing to do with the internet, and Amex refunded my money.

Sure there are online scams on CL (and all over the internet), but trusting anyone who asks you to wire money is foolish. And CL does remove those posts, but its hard to keep up with the bots.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:44 pm

And let's not forget if it wasn't for Craigslist you would have no place to trade your coffee table for a handjob. I for one don't want to live in that kind of world.

Azog

Postby Azog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 pm

rabble wrote:
Azog wrote:Fraud is the fabric of the modern age. I agree with Beave, they should do something about it... I also think there's no chance they will.

Fraud is the fabric of every age.

They should do nothing beyond what they already do. There is no way to fix stupid.

You might not be aware of the extent communications have enhanced the reach of fraud and the way it affects our country, from the cost of telephone service to the fees at the bank, to the Medicare fraud by the mafia, to a thousand other examples. Better control at the administrative level can fix many kinds of stupid, particularly the administrative breed. I would target perpetrators and use their ill gotten gains to help fund the pits they get stuck into. Your argument suggests the scum deserve the money because innocent people weren't sufficiently scum-sensitive to detect the con. I agree they're stupid, disagree with rationalizing one crumb the criminals have to live on. Basically we're all paying to feed them.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:59 pm

As P.T. Barnum said, well over a hundred years ago: "There's a sucker born every minute."

Return to “Town Vibe”