willy st co-op checkers elitist?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: willy st co-op checkers elitist?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Something I learned from my travels: people throughout the world like to be greeted and exchange a few pleasantries before discussing business. It doesn't need to take long. Try it when you shop or otherwise engage in commerce. It's a win-win for both sides of the transaction.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:37 pm

If the alternative is Trader Joe's-style faux bonhomie, I'll take elitist. "You're gonna make smoothies!" Uh...

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:If the alternative is Trader Joe's-style faux bonhomie, I'll take elitist. "You're gonna make smoothies!" Uh...
Which is especially unsettling when you have two bags of frozen raspberries and fifteen pounds of frozen fish. "Sure. Smoothies. Can I go home now?"

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote: "You're gonna make smoothies!"

That's the same thing the Walgreen's lady says to me every time I buy Metamucil.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:10 am

I worked at Trader Joe's during a brief period of unemployment a few years back. Prior to my leaving TJ's, I'd never left a job without going to another job. I had to quit after about 6 weeks. I would rather perform in Up With People--it's probably far less cultish and far more cynical.

That's to preface the admission that they, ahem, 'suggest' that their checkers come up with two questions to ask each customer during checkout. One was usually something along the lines of "Plans for the weekend?" or "Having a good day?" while the other was more personalized, i.e. "I see you have a lot of food there, do you eat daily?"

In my opinion, kind of creepy. I much prefer the Willy St. Co-op folk.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:38 pm

I prefer Woodman's checkers. Efficient. Friendly. Often foreign. No comments about your purchases.

There's a lady who runs the self-serve checkout lines at the west side Woodies who is always upbeat and extremely good at her job.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:55 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think if you impute any attitude at all to Willy St's cashiers, your imagination is working overtime. Basically, they're working hard and they're bored! If they sigh at you, they're probably just waiting for the end of their shift. I've found the cashiers -- and I'm there ALL THE TIME -- to be very nice if you take the trouble to meet them halfway. Some are extremely personable and funny and I wish I had a reason to know them better.

And I'm always forgetting my cloth bag, and nobody's ever ragged on me about it. Come on, this is just a bunch of young people doing a very monotonous job -- it's not some cartel of high-heeled banker ladies out to intimidate.

Uh, no, actually, I'm pretty good at recognizing that when someone makes an alveolar click resulting in a "tsk" sound and then makes a vocal grunt that sounds a lot like "uh!" while simultaneously making a frowny face, they are expressing disapproval. That's exactly what happened to me on two separate visits to Willy St, once when I didn't bring my own jar for a bulk item and once when I asked for a paper bag. Two different cashiers, too. I don't go there to receive passive-aggressive comments on my environmentalism from the cashiers, I go there to buy groceries not readily available elsewhere in town. It isn't difficult to train employees not to sneer at the customers. If it is difficult, then your business either needs new employees or new management.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:17 am

I have been shopping at Willy St Coop since they were in just a single storefront on the other side of Willy St. Like any business, there are good employees, bad employees, and every combination in between, including good employees that are just having a bad day. 99% of the time the staff is friendly, helpful, and professional. And nice bunch of people.

Mostly I remember to bring bags, but when I haven't, I have *never* head a "tsk" or received a "look". Perhaps if this is happening to you regularly, you need to look a little harder at how you are coming across, as Snoqueen suggests. If I hear a sigh, I just say "hard day?" and usually there is a laugh and a short story about something totally unrelated to my bagless state at the bottom of it.

And I do have one of the coveted 3 digit #s, but until the new computer system they recently put in, they didn't know that till the end of the transaction. I asked a checker if people can sell their low digit member #s for money, he laughed out loud and said no way is that possible.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:11 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:Mostly I remember to bring bags, but when I haven't, I have *never* head a "tsk" or received a "look". Perhaps if this is happening to you regularly, you need to look a little harder at how you are coming across, as Snoqueen suggests. If I hear a sigh, I just say "hard day?" and usually there is a laugh and a short story about something totally unrelated to my bagless state at the bottom of it.

With the bulk food, the cashier asked me if the container was mine, and I simply said, "No." With the bag, the cashier asked me if I needed a bag, and I said, "Yes, please."

The niceness of the people who work at Willy St is not the issue. Their customer service skills are the issue. I haven't had this problem at any other co-op or grocery store where I have shopped, so I'm pretty sure the problem is not my method of saying "No" and "Yes, please."

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 pm

I never bring my own bags, never bring my own bulk containers and always pay with a debit card. I wish that weren't the case, but I'm usually there on the spur of the moment, and don't keep cash around if I can help it. Yes, I'm one of THOSE people.

Nevertheless, I've also never (no my knowledge) been clucked at or given a Look. I understand that my behavior as an individual may run counter to what works best for them, and so I try to make up for it by being friendly, putting my frozens with my frozens and having my info and card ready when they are.

It's really not that hard. That's why I still shop there and feel good about it. And if I ever get my act together, I promise to make it work in thanks for the courtesy they've shown.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm

I've never gotten a dirty look. A month ago, I drove my boyfriend's large SUV to the co-op. It really stuck out in the sea of Priuses and Subaru wagons. I didn't have any bags either. They were still nice to me, even before I revealed my three-digit membership number.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:29 pm

People, whatever you do, don't put your hand in the compost bag.

banjovee

Postby banjovee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm

You can have 'em all. I'll go with the friendly East High School checkers at Jenny Market who are guilty of nothing more than smiling a hello and mooning at the clock.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:54 pm

All you ultra-sensitive shoppers can switch to Willy Co-op West, where I'm sure there will be friendly Middleton High School checkers.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 pm

banjovee wrote:checkers at Jenny Market who are guilty of nothing more than smiling a hello and mooning at the clock.

They moon the clock? Are there any that aren't high schoolers that do this? Are they cute?

Return to “Town Vibe”