willy st co-op checkers elitist?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
bekee

willy st co-op checkers elitist?

Postby bekee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

i thought some of the forons would get a kick out of this craigslist ad. this co-op member wants to trade his/her 5-digit member number for a 3-digit number and a bonus $25 to boot.

aside from the fact that there is probably some fine print against members trading numbers, do you think this is something common or are they overly sensitive? i've gotten "looks" when i recite my 5-digit number, but who the eff cares, really?

wanted: fewer numbers
http://madison.craigslist.org/wan/1635097775.html

(credit for finding this ad goes to isthmustdp on twitter http://twitter.com/IsthmusTDP)

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: willy st co-op checkers elitist?

Postby Detritus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Ah, Willy Coop checker elitism! Now I understand why I get complimentary champagne each time I check out--my four-digit member number confers privileges. Now if I can just get them to set up a separate checkout line for those of us with four digit member numbers, life will be sweet. No more having to stand in line with those filthy five and six digit member number peasants!
:roll:

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Do they recycle numbers? If so, they should auction off the 1, 2, 3 & 4 digit numbers off as a fund raiser. If not, I wonder how many 1, 2 & 3 digit members remain.

And I promise, when they open the Middleton location I will join, get my 5 digit member number and look down upon anyone inline ahead of me who is less than five.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm so glad there's a place in Madison where I can shop sans elitism...

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:04 pm

And I thought they were making faces at me because of my Monsanto Pesticides t-shirt.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 am

Huh? I have a 5 digit number and I think I joined about 17 years ago when they were still across the street.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:09 am

Elitist? I have a 5 digit number, and every co-op clerk who I've ever met has been completely friendly to me.

Maybe that's because I generally go there right after a day of teaching, and teaching puts me in a great mood. I dunno. You generally get the vibe that you give, right?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:23 am

I joined Willy St. soon after it started in 1974. Back then lifetime membership was only five dollars and no membership number was given out. Since then that type of membership was revoked. I guess in the co-op's mind, my lifetime is over.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

With priorities like this, something tells me the member number isn't the issue here.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:09 am

Willy St cashiers have tsk'ed at me, on separate occasions, for not bringing my own containers for bulk food and not bringing my own bag. Someone ought to explain to them that sneering at customers is not a good retention strategy. I haven't been back since the bag incident.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 am

towanda wrote:Willy St cashiers have tsk'ed at me, on separate occasions, for not bringing my own containers for bulk food and not bringing my own bag.

I appreciate their condescension.
We should all feel guilty for not doing our part.
What do people bring to bag bulk foods?
Do you re-use those thin plastic bags?
My S.O. insists that some produce won't keep unless it's in plastic, but I'm not keen on washing those single-use bags.

Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Crow » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:58 am

Dairylander wrote:We should all feel guilty

Raised Catholic, were we?

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 am

Crow wrote:
Dairylander wrote:We should all feel guilty

Raised Catholic, were we?

Eight years at Our Lady Queen of Peace on Mineral Point Road.

ms.deeds

Postby ms.deeds » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:46 pm

towanda wrote:Willy St cashiers have tsk'ed at me, on separate occasions, for not bringing my own containers for bulk food and not bringing my own bag. Someone ought to explain to them that sneering at customers is not a good retention strategy. I haven't been back since the bag incident.

Yep, I bet it's because of this. ^

It's the only time I get rude behavior from the checkers.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:25 pm

I think if you impute any attitude at all to Willy St's cashiers, your imagination is working overtime. Basically, they're working hard and they're bored! If they sigh at you, they're probably just waiting for the end of their shift. I've found the cashiers -- and I'm there ALL THE TIME -- to be very nice if you take the trouble to meet them halfway. Some are extremely personable and funny and I wish I had a reason to know them better.

And I'm always forgetting my cloth bag, and nobody's ever ragged on me about it. Come on, this is just a bunch of young people doing a very monotonous job -- it's not some cartel of high-heeled banker ladies out to intimidate.

Return to “Town Vibe”