Did anyone feel the earthquake?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Did anyone feel the earthquake?

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 am

Didn't feel this one, but the wife reports she woke up for no apparent reason at 4; could have been the earthquake.

We were both still awake for the 2004 Illinois temblor, and it sounded/felt like there was a large truck idling at the curb outside our apartment.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Yep, I remember that one too. My room was right next to our old shared driveway, and at first I thought someone in a truck was driving up that driveway. Then I realized nobody had used it for years -- it had grass growing on it now.

I think it's funny how our minds try to rationalize unexplained noises.

zoothikana

Postby zoothikana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:59 am

Earthquake proof building using spaghetti & Marshmallows?!?!?!?! HELP!? soo, in science tomorrow we are supposed 2 design a house with spaghetti and marshmallows that is earthquake proof. I have no idea how 2 even start, and i really want ours 2 win.....we'll have limited supplies, so suggest simple ideas
Last edited by zoothikana on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 am

zoothikana wrote:Earthquake proof building using spaghetti & Marshmallows?!?!?!?! HELP!? soo, in science tomorrow we are supposed 2 design a house with spaghetti and marshmallows that is earthquake proof. I have no idea how 2 even start, and i really want ours 2 win.....we'll have limited supplies, so suggest simple ideas

If you are allowed to melt the marshmellows, they will reform into the consistency of a mortar. Seems pretty simple after that...

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:27 am

There has to be a multitude of forums that deal with architecture and engineering, yet for some reason you decided to ask a group that consists mostly of musicians, bored state workers, a couple alders and a cop?

I guess there is Snoqueen.

I'm saying use the marshmallows as your base, like exposed footings, to absorb the movement, and then the spaghetti for the main structure. Just don't overcook it.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 am

I'd suggest watching every episode of Gilligan's Island; just substitute the spaghetti and marshmallows for the coconuts and bamboo that the Professor could utilize to build anything, except a two-foot patch to plug up a leaky boat.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:47 am

Either zoothikana is the worst student ever, or a new kind of electronic life form that wants to know more about earthquakes and doesn't have a concept of topicality, context, or geography.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... =&aql=&oq=

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Well, I'll have a go at it. Does this have to be a house for human beings? If not, you need to design a bird nest. It can be one that sits on the ground, like an ovenbird nest or a meadowlark nest. Then you can weave spaghetti together (you can moisten it to get it flexible, then let it dry) and you can melt marshmallows to make glue.

If this has to be a house for humans, I dunno. Maybe you can scale up the bird's nest.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Weave your spaghetti into a wickiup (basically an upside down bird's nest with an opening for entry/egress. Daub it with melted marshmallow.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm the only one who thinks this house is supposed to be built of dry spaghetti stuck into the marshmallows like a tinkertoy house.

Just put the whole house on a foundation of about a thousand marshmallows, maybe skewered on the spaghetti like shishkabobs.

I kinda like A-frame spaghetti houses myself, but you might be happier with a small ranch-style configuration.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:36 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Either zoothikana is the worst student ever, or a new kind of electronic life form that wants to know more about earthquakes and doesn't have a concept of topicality, context, or geography.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... =&aql=&oq=

Wow, that search is mildly fascinating. It has to be a robot, right? But, what is the angle then? Just researching new spam/virus vectors? The questions Z. posed to the various forums are convincingly dissimilar, for the most part, but the breadth of the postings doesn't lead me to believe a human could have done this manually.

Just what is the internet up to now?

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:01 pm

acereraser wrote:Wow, that search is mildly fascinating. It has to be a robot, right? But, what is the angle then? Just researching new spam/virus vectors? The questions Z. posed to the various forums are convincingly dissimilar, for the most part, but the breadth of the postings doesn't lead me to believe a human could have done this manually.

Just what is the internet up to now?

Plus it looks like all postings are to phpBB powered forums.
I'm thinking this is a bot trying to find the exploit that was introduced in a recent phpBB upgrade - they had to rush a patch out the door.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Darn, we fell for it. A bot.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:47 pm

I thought zoothikana was a middle school earth science student whose teacher came up with this project after the recent devastating earth quakes. I just wondered how they were going to simulate a quake when judging the constructions.

Anyways, I think my suggestion would have won.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Bots can be very persuasive. Here's a rather intimidating bot hard-selling Amway products:

Return to “Town Vibe”