Did anyone feel the earthquake?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Did anyone feel the earthquake?

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:34 am

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

I can't be sure, but at some point last night I remember waking up and thinking someone was wheeling a trash bin down the sidewalk. I don't remember feeling it though. Not sure what time that was either. My trash bin's still there.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Did anyone feel the earthquake?

Postby Dairylander » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 am

I woke up around four a.m. and thought, "that sounds like an earthquake."
I didn't feel it, just heard it rattling the siding on my house.
And what is it with these trash cans?
It sounds like a train when my neighbor takes his to the curb.

Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:59 am

It sounded like the rumble of automated collection carts to me, too. The cat was on it, though. He woke up from his 23.5-hour nap all agitated -- sprang to his feet without a nice stretch first.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Wow, would I be feeling like a schmuck this morning if anyone got hurt. When my friends asked me yesterday which lesser-of-two-evils I was rooting for in the Michigan State-Purdue basketball game last night, I said I was pulling for the earthquake. Eerie.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm

I woke up and looked at my alarm clock right at 4:00 or so. Can't say for sure whether it was the Earthquake or not.

I was already up and felt the one in 2008.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:31 pm

What do you think caused the quake?

I'm no tectonic plate expert, but I think it might be the stress caused by two or three plates ramming into the North American Plate. This is putting a strain on the middle of the NA plate where the crust is thinning in between the Ozarks and Appalachians, called the Midwest New Madrid Earthquake Fault Line. I also wonder: does this have anything to do with the earthquakes in Haiti?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... adrid.html
A Sleeping Giant
In the fertile Mississippi Valley lies a sleeping giant, the New Madrid Fault Zone, or Reelfoot rift, one of the most dangerous earthquake zones in North America. The New Madrid fault line spans from Northeast Arkansas through Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Southern Illinois, and lies a ready threat for the bordering states as well. The New Madrid Reelfoot Rift fault zone is well-known for severe megaquakes, with four astounding quakes with a magnitude of at least 7.0 on the Richter scale between late 1811 and early 1812.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33624518/ns ... e-science/
Some scientists suspected that many of these events were really repercussions from the big 1811 and 1812 earthquakes. For one thing, "there's no motion across the fault now, so nothing's going on, but yet there are still small earthquakes there," said Seth Stein, the study's lead author and a professor of geological sciences at Northwestern University.

The small quakes also occur on the same fault plane that researchers believe is responsible for the big quakes. Furthermore, the present-day temblors are getting smaller with time, which is a characteristic of aftershocks, Stein said. And when larger quakes do occur, they happen at the corners of the fault section that scientists think broke during the 19th-century earthquakes, a pattern that suggests these are aftershocks, Stein told LiveScience.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:48 pm

I was just going to bed at 4am and I think I felt it. Either that or a gust of wind, but there was a rattle.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:53 pm

butters wrote:What do you think caused the quake?

The Democrats.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

The earthquake started
When Northern Illinois farted
The Fibs came out....whoops, can't say that.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:55 pm

The primordial mega-continent Pangaea is getting back togther for its epic "Tectonic Tour 2012". It's gonna rock.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:15 pm

I woke up at the same time the earthquake happened and heard what I thought was a snowplow, only I kept thinking to myself "what street is THAT on?" It didn't sound right.

Several other people at work had a similar story.

I remember one we had here in 1972 -- I was sitting in my livingroom and the lampshade across the room started shaking. I thought a bus was passing until I remembered we weren't on a bus route.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Something woke me up around 4 am this morning. Glad to hear it has a name - EARTHQUAKE.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Some people at work said they heard it or felt it. I slept right through it.

Story of my life. I slept through the Sterling Hall bombing too.

LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:06 am

Lived through the '89 San Fran quake. Slept through this one.

Does anyone remember the icequake that happened along the southern shore of Lake Mendota a couple of years ago? I was working in Lowell Hall on Langdon street and my office shook hard enough that it felt like a semi-truck crashed into the building.

Icequakes and thundersnow are some of my favorite epic-sounding hell-spawned weather phenomena.

meaganElise9

Postby meaganElise9 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 am

ha i'm really glad someone asked this. everyone thinks i'm crazy in illinois because it seems we should be too far away, but i KNOW i felt it. i even had dreams about earthquakes!

Return to “Town Vibe”