Places to shoot pool on the west Side/Middleton

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
jrosel

Places to shoot pool on the west Side/Middleton

Postby jrosel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Anyone have suggestions for good bars to shoot pool around the West side and Middleton area?

babelfish

Re: Places to shoot pool on the west Side/Middleton

Postby babelfish » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Are you still looking for a game of pool...I'm guessing you found something by now. The Green Room used to be the place, but they turned it into a UW Health clinic. There is Hody's and also Paul's Neighborhood Bar in Middleton. There is also the Blue Chalk Club...but I've never been there so I'm hesitant to recommend it.

Stan Darsh

Postby Stan Darsh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:26 pm

It might be a little too far from the west side/Middleton but the only place I have EVER liked playing pool in the Madison area is Pitcher's Pub off of Rimrock Road. They have a billion (okay more like 20) pool tables and lots of dart boards and foosball tables as well. Very nice staff, reasonable prices and good greasy bar food.
The Hody is an awesome place too but as far as I know they only have one table (but they also have shuffleboard!!). Blue Chalk was not one of my faves because it was too expensive and I thought the workers were snobby. As far as I know they are now called Scatz. Haven't stepped foot into the place but have not heard good reviews from anyone I know that's been there.

And if it is too far from where you live--just remember, Pitcher's gives out those Safe Ride vouchers for a free cab ride home!!

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:23 pm

babelfish wrote:There is also the Blue Chalk Club...

Closed a couple years ago.

Ron should've kept The Green Room open instead. I'm dying to play on real tables.

babelfish

Postby babelfish » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah Pitcher's is a good place to play, for sure.

As far as a place with real tables like Green Room, is "Cue-nique" still around? It's funny Madison doesn't have pool halls...when I lived in Pheonix they were everywhere. Would a pool hall thrive in Madison? If so, would someone like to open one with me?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Would a pool hall thrive in Madison?

Cue-Nique, Blue Chalk and Green Room couldn't so my guess would be no. Scatz in the former Blue Chalk still has a very large area of pool tables by the hour. Also in Fitchburg the Great Dane has them upstairs.

babelfish

Postby babelfish » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:51 pm

But Green Room was always packed when I went there. Am I mistaken or did they close for reasons not related to lack of business?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:00 pm

babelfish wrote:But Green Room was always packed when I went there. Am I mistaken or did they close for reasons not related to lack of business?

See this discussion from three years ago.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 pm

The new Vintage on Whitney Way, just north of the beltline, has a couple of nice bar-room tables. They're off to the side, so you don't have to navigate through the bar regulars.

Good beer, good food.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Would a pool hall thrive in Madison?

Cue-Nique, Blue Chalk and Green Room couldn't so my guess would be no. Scatz in the former Blue Chalk still has a very large area of pool tables by the hour. Also in Fitchburg the Great Dane has them upstairs.

Cue-Nique had been around since the 70s, so it had staying power. Once Jerry Briesath sold the place, it went downhill.

The same thing happened when he sold The Green Room.

Return to “Town Vibe”