Coveted pads

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coveted pads

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

This is what I remember. Sandy Solberg, a local politico/activist, and her husband used to own it. At one time Tibetan monks, with their saffron robes, lived there.

I justed looked it up at the city's assessor office. I think this is the place.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:29 pm

narcoleptish wrote:... It's not usually like me to criticize what other people do with their own property, but how many vacant/underused buildings from one family should we all have to look at?

Then there's local millionaire Ray Peterson, who fixes everything with silicone caulk and seems to believe siding is a frill.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:53 pm

c02 wrote:This comment sprung a certain home to mind in the Vilas neighborhood that has been bugging the hell out of me (curiosity-wise). For the more rooted Vilas dwellers, what is the deal with the home on the corner of Grant and Vilas? The porch is covered in 'stuff' to the point that the front door looks hidden. The first time I saw it I figured "floors must be getting done." That was years ago.

Yikes, my last post was about the Colonial style house at Mills and Vilas. The home at Grant is another story. I'll have to look into that. But it might be this place, which was for sale for years. It finally sold (recently) for much more than its assessed value.

Aren't I the neighborhood busybody?

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:25 am

I don't recall seeing a for sale sign in the yard. The home I'm thinking of is a virtual twin to the home right next to it. Both nice looking homes. One just looks like an upscale version of rural Kentucky.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:01 am

I know exactly where c02 is talking about. Just drove by last week and thought maybe the porch had gotten even more packed. I think those 2 houses are in the group there designed by Cora Tuttle, possibly Madison's earliest female architect and a big fan of the bungalow style. I zoomed in on the DCI map and I think it's 1202 Grant. That one's a little rough looking but some of the other bungalows right around the corner on Vilas are really sweet.

In that same area I covet those 2 or 3 houses that are the only ones on Lake Wingra, on the end of Woodrow or Terry st.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 am

OK, now I know the house you mentioned. It doesn't look like its been lived in for quite a while. I was thinking of a colonial across from it.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:46 am

In my my 'hood I'd take any of the cool pads around Lake of the Isles. Most owned by Daytons, Cargill and 3M trust fund babies.

Here's a sample:

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 pm

I've been watching this one go up all summer. Not too crazy about the inside but the street view is really sharp. I love that they did this on a city lot but the narrow design that was needed is what takes away from it for me. Still a beautiful house, but definitely not for everyone.

http://www.archdaily.com/437796/midvale ... hitecture/

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:36 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Think of the positives-- energy efficiency chief among them, but also shelter from violent storms. While I'm sure a direct hit from a tornado would do some damage, would you see the entire structure get lifted into the vortex like a wood-frame house?

I'm not sure dirt or sod on the roof in and of itself helps much in a storm, especially considering the additional weight on the roof that could now come crashing down on you. I think the bigger goal would be to reduce the cross-section of the house.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I've been watching this one go up all summer. Not too crazy about the inside but the street view is really sharp. I love that they did this on a city lot but the narrow design that was needed is what takes away from it for me. Still a beautiful house, but definitely not for everyone.

http://www.archdaily.com/437796/midvale ... hitecture/

Nice. There are a couple of really odd shaped lots in there, including this one, so I think they did a good job with the available space. What it replaced on that lot was pretty shabby.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:08 am

http://host.madison.com/news/local/city ... sxSI.email

My BF and I had fun clicking all the links. This is about two blocks from my oldest friend. I've been up and down Midvale so many times I thought I had it memorized. I just couldn't place the house so we googled it. Google still has the old place.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:11 am

I've long admired the old Madison Brass Works building on Waubesa at the bike path, in all it's dilapidated glory. Had the typical fantasy of rehabbing and living in it someday until I happened to get inside a few years ago and realized what a daunting lifetime project that would be (for me at least).

It's finally on the market. $495,000

I wonder if that includes the dozens of bar clamps holding on the temporary rubber roofing? Because a good bar clamp can set you back a few bucks.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I've been up and down Midvale so many times I thought I had it memorized. I just couldn't place the house so we googled it. Google still has the old place.
It's a nice place. Too bad it's on Ambulance Alley. If you look at the aerial view in Google Maps, you can see the new version under construction.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:05 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I've long admired the old Madison Brass Works building on Waubesa at the bike path, in all it's dilapidated glory. Had the typical fantasy of rehabbing and living in it someday until I happened to get inside a few years ago and realized what a daunting lifetime project that would be (for me at least).

It's finally on the market. $495,000

I wonder if that includes the dozens of bar clamps holding on the temporary rubber roofing? Because a good bar clamp can set you back a few bucks.

I drove by there just tonight because you mentioned it. The roof thing is pretty funny.

But it's a dump, narco. You don't want it, even for $49.95. The one brick side is kind of cool, but the rest of it is nothing but cinderblock. I can't imagine what thin air they picked that price out of, and I assume it's more for the location than the pile of bricks sitting on it. Let's just hope whoever buys it knows what they're getting into (hazardous waste for starters), and brings plenty of buckets.

What's it zoned? We can look it up if someone has the exact address.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Madison Brass Works, Inc located at 214 Waubesa Street, Madison WI, 53704.

Return to “Town Vibe”