Save the East Side vibe. Post anything.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Re: Save the East Side vibe. Post anything.

Postby EastSideTom » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:19 am

Madsci wrote: doesn't anything happen on the east side anymore? Did it loose its vibe?

I'd say the East side is still the happenin' vibratin' place it always was:
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=31934

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:17 pm

gargantua wrote:When I want to go out for good beer, almost all the good spots are out on the East Side.

I wonder why that is.
... and another one.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 8fd41.html

"Park Commission approves controversial German-style beer garden in Olbrich Park"

The commission voted unanimously to approve a draft agreement between the city and BKM Group, the developer hoping to open the Olbrich Biergarten. Under the agreement, BKM would run the beer garden along the Lake Monona shoreline from 2017 to 2019 with the option for two two-year extensions.

Beard

Postby Beard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:25 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
gargantua wrote:When I want to go out for good beer, almost all the good spots are out on the East Side.

I wonder why that is.
... and another one.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 8fd41.html

"Park Commission approves controversial German-style beer garden in Olbrich Park"

The commission voted unanimously to approve a draft agreement between the city and BKM Group, the developer hoping to open the Olbrich Biergarten. Under the agreement, BKM would run the beer garden along the Lake Monona shoreline from 2017 to 2019 with the option for two two-year extensions.

Saying that this looks half assed is being generous...

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/p ... 68b.html#1

always thought that it was odd to add a biergarten to a park that neighbors the East Side Club but I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other about whether or not it should exist. I didn't follow much of the planning but I was expecting more than this. The shelter building still looks sketchy as hell and the picnic tables on pea gravel look awful.

Beard

Postby Beard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:26 pm

sorry, double post
Last edited by Beard on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Saying that this looks half assed is being generous...

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/p ... 68b.html#1

always thought that it was odd to add a biergarten to a park that neighbors the East Side Club but I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other about whether or not it should exist. I didn't follow much of the planning but I was expecting more than this. The shelter building still looks sketchy as hell and the picnic tables on pea gravel look awful.

I thought this was nuts from the start, and now I'm sure it's nuts.

Who wants to sit out in the blazing sun on hot pea gravel to drink beer? There are plenty of shade trees on the lawn at East Side Club, along with casual lawn chairs and an actual bar. Nobody is going to try the beer-on-gravel thing more than once.

If you're hosting a party, East Side Club has way more amenities. And the general area already has bars if all you want is a drink. I do not see any value added by the Olbrich site.

Residents in the immediate area stated their warnings and objections, but were ignored. I'm saying this arrangement won't last the summer, but it's not greatly inconveniencing anybody. We just have more gravel than we used to. I live nearby but did not attend the meetings because the idea was too far fetched to bother with.

I think the boat rental is an OK idea, on the other hand, though Olbrich is not as sheltered as the Yahara or Lake Wingra. It usually gets a nice stiff northwest wind, in contrast. We'll see how paddlers like that.

It's not necessary to form an opinion on any of this because it's a done deal and customers will vote by showing up, or not showing up.

Some businesses succeed by offering people something they did not know they wanted, but I don't think this is one.
Last edited by snoqueen on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 pm

I paddled past that spot to check it out a few days ago when it was nice and calm. Usually that strong wind you mention is a royal pain and keeps most kayaks off the lake. It does look kind of sparse. No shade, no wind protection, and according to the guy hanging the mood lights, they'll be open from 4 till 10 weekdays and 3 to ten Friday and Saturday. Since that's usually when I end my paddling it's not likely I'll pull in for a beer and a burger.

And on a completely unrelated note, we went to Fitchburg this afternoon to see Wonder Woman and on the way home several of the traffic islands on Fish Hatch had panhandlers with signs. Looks like the new ordinance has sent them all to the city limits. That makes me think two things: One, it makes money, and two, the rumor I heard about someone dropping them off and picking them up in shifts could well be true. That area isn't where they usually hang out and there were at least three of them at all the high traffic points along Fish Hatch. Interesting.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:24 am

Thirty-six tables occupy the Olbrich Park beer garden area with five more placed near the beach house. They are identical to the kind of tables found in beer gardens throughout Germany.

Business owner: "So what I had in mind was something I saw all over Germany. There was a long table with a matching long bench seat on either side."

Restaurant furniture rep: "A picnic table?"

BO: "No No, the seats are not connected to the table."

RFR: "So a cafeteria table with a bench seat?"

BO: "Yes, but from Germany."

RFR: "So a really expensive picnic..errr cafeteria table with bench seats?"

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 am

That "beer garden" looks like a redneck version of the union terrace.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:51 am

Went to the Tiki Bar at the East Side Club last night. MUCH better setup for a lakeside beer, IMO.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:57 am

Ned Flanders wrote:That "beer garden" looks like a redneck version of the union terrace.

It does. I tend to cut them some slack because it's so new. In time we may see patio umbrellas, and perhaps the city will allow them to plant some foliage. I think they have a chance to make it, if for no other reason that there are so few venues on the lakes for a metro area of a half million people.
Also agree with Duca (started this before she posted).

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:05 am

After I posted yesterday I cruised over to Olbrich for an on-site evaluation. I think there might be a built in customer base for the beer "garden" (more like a beer parking lot) that we locals don't immediately appreciate. The parking area by the Olbrich basketball courts is heavily used by out of town cyclists as a staging area, by runners doing charity events, by people using the basketball and tennis courts, and even by families of kid soccer teams. Maybe enough of these people will be wanting a beer after their event to keep the beer business going, though a lot of these sport events happen in the morning which doesn't coincide with the planned beer hours.

These potential drinkers might not even know about the East Side Club and might not go to the bother of walking up the hill to find it.

Anyway, that might fit the business plan of giving people something they didn't know they wanted.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:11 am

It's also the place where the kite boaters and skiers set up and launch from. The ones with the parachutes.

Don't know if they'll keep doing that now after the traffic picks up a little bit and there's not nearly as much free space as they have now but every time I see them on the lake, that's where they launch.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think there might be a built in customer base for the beer "garden" (more like a beer parking lot) that we locals don't immediately appreciate.

Yup, that makes sense.

Return to “Town Vibe”