Save the East Side vibe. Post anything.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Re: Save the East Side vibe. Post anything.

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:40 am

It might also help the co-op to not be so rude to non-members. I stopped there once right after I moved to Madison because I happened to be in the neighborhood and needed to get lunch. I hadn't been there before and might have considered membership, except when I went to the checkout, the person glared at me and said in this ridiculously rude tone, "you have to pay extra for not being a member, you know." I just said "oh, okay that's fine" and she then rolled her eyes at me and said "It's like an extra TEN percent." I couldn't tell if she was trying to bully me into membership or if she wanted me to just give up and walk out without buying anything. Either way, I haven't set foot in the place since.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I wonder if such a move would discourage new members from buying a share, as membership would no longer mean cheaper prices.

I would gladly still buy in. I truly believe in what they're doing. Just wish they had a west side location.
Patty, that was an anomaly.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 pm

The coop has been considering dropping the surcharge for a long time, not just in the last few months. They're one of the few coops left in the country that has kept a surcharge all this time, and many members realize it's puzzling and annoying to the occasional shopper.

They need a second location so bad it isn't funny. The only times I shop are between 7:30-9 in the morning, unless I'm just running in for take-out. If their bottom line has been hurt by the opening of other grocery outlets, you sure can't tell by the parking lot.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Last week I asked customer service if there were any efforts to restart the 2nd location conversation. She said she hadn't heard anything.
I guess we're shit outta luck.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:51 pm

This Cap Times article claims: "It's all about staying competitive in the growing natural foods market..."

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Dairylander wrote:Last week I asked customer service if there were any efforts to restart the 2nd location conversation. She said she hadn't heard anything.
I guess we're shit outta luck.

So nothing ever came of this?...

Willy St. Co-op considers Middleton
Middleton is back in play for Willy Street Co-op's second store.

The iconic Madison grocery may still locate in an 8,750-square-foot space on the ground level of Phase 2 of Metropolitan Place, but with the condo tower in receivership, Willy Street officials say they have reopened their search for a site for a second store.
Middleton officials say they would welcome the co-op at either location, the Sentry space in Middleton Springs Shopping Center on Allen Boulevard, or the former Copps building on Century Avenue near Allen Boulevard.

An AnchorBank and a CVS Pharmacy were recently built in the parking lot of the former Copps store and the owner of the property, Dawn Casper wants to reconfigure the 30,000-square-foot Copps building into an L-shaped, 16,000-square-foot retail center that could house a number of businesses.

The Sentry property, owned by Middleton developer Rob Zache, was being considered by PDQ for a convenience store but the company has backed away from the project, said Middleton Mayor Kurt Sonnentag.

"It's ideal for a grocery operation," Sonnentag said of the two locations. "We're looking for (another) grocery store in Middleton and those two sites are especially good."

http://www.madison.com/wsj/whatcounts/t ... source=rss

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:22 pm

I think the bad attitude complaint is a total load. I've never seen it, and I've never been a member. With service attitude, you often get what you give.

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:19 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I think the bad attitude complaint is a total load. I've never seen it, and I've never been a member. With service attitude, you often get what you give.

It's not a "load," it actually happened- the friend that was with me was just as shocked as I was. It may very well have been an anomaly, but just because you haven't seen it happen doesn't mean I'm making it up.

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Scotty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:55 pm

patty, patty,patty don't be a nutt

You must know that TBP has been watching every transaction at the co-op since who knows when.

I've had odd check-outs there. But we both must be liars.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Mischaracterize my position all you want. I'm only stating my observations (that in all my trips to the Co-op, I've neither been treated poorly nor seen someone else treated poorly) and interpretation (that there are all sorts of instances where people enter into a business transaction with expectations of poor treatment and behave poorly in advance, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophecy).

In my opinion, a false standard is created by the pervasiveness of the negative expecation. For example, an inmate who has been incarcerated for almost a decade asked me the other day if Starbucks really is on every block out there. The joke's been told so many times, it's replaced reality by the anticipation of the punchline. It's not reality; it's Leno-ality.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 pm

As snoqueen said, the coop has been considering dropping the surcharge for a while – primarily for tax reasons, as I remember. If they offer a member dividend instead (however insignificant), they don't have to pay ... sales tax? Federal tax? I can't remember exactly, but part of the motivation was to keep that money in the community via lower prices, etc.

I've been a member of one food coop or another since the early 80s (3 total). They can be peculiar places at times. At one (circa 1982), if you wanted tuna fish, you had to ask a staff member. It was stashed beneath the basement stairwell, since having it on public display would have riled certain members.

But Willy Street is a great coop. In 3 years of near-daily shopping there, I've never seen any evidence of rudeness on the part of the staff. (And unlike the Food Hole, they don't land on you like deer flies the moment you walk in the door. Yo, talk about rude!)

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Mischaracterize my position all you want. I'm only stating my observations (that in all my trips to the Co-op, I've neither been treated poorly nor seen someone else treated poorly) and interpretation (that there are all sorts of instances where people enter into a business transaction with expectations of poor treatment and behave poorly in advance, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophecy).

I already acknowledged that my experience may not be the norm, but it did happen. And I definitely did not "behave poorly in advance" unless you consider smiling and saying hello "behaving poorly." By your logic, isn't it also possible that a previous customer acted rudely in response to the extra 10% and the clerk then reacted that way because she expected me to do the same?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:03 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:Either way, I haven't set foot in the place since.

I've shopped there for many years, including as a non-member in their old location. Finally signed up right before they moved so I wouldn't feel like a Johnny-come-lately. I've seen a few eye rolls from clerks over the years, even as a member. But that's definitely not the norm, even when I'm dressed in my yuppiemotherfucker best.

You might want to give it another try. They're great for some things. Produce, bulk, dairy, a few deli standbys, natural health & beauty stuff, granola (the adj, not the noun) snacks. During Bing and Rainier season they kick everyone's ass, including Brennan's.

I was crushed when the Metropolitan Place deal fell through. Good-for-you food at the co-op, then over to Crap Centre for a 12-pk of Tab or a bag of Doritos or a 6-pk of Hopalicious, then a short hoof home? Heaven! ...sigh...

I know Crap Centre is out of place on an East Side thread, but since I brought it up: they've recently stepped up their produce dept, big-time. It's still tiny, but bigger, and now at least you can buy fresh herbs and Bolthouse Farms dressings. Should help cut down on my grocery runs by car, which would be awesome.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:47 am

I'm so sick of seeing my name as the last poster here (on east side vibe) that I thought I'd change it into a fresher version of my name.

Let's see........what can I post about the east side?

Drawing a blank.

This is a little weak but there seems to be a contest as to who can build the biggest garage between the people behind the St. Vinnies parking lot and the people behind the Glass Nickel parking lot. I notice these things. I love garages.

Nice weather on the east side right now.

I hear a dog barking.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:52 am

Saw a Hairy Woodpecker at my birdfeeder yesterday.

Insert double entendre here.

Return to “Town Vibe”