Bike path crime is back

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bike path crime is back

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 pm

-or like a good liberal, you can sit back and enjoy having the crap beat out of you.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 26, 2011 8:32 am

So Uncle, what are you packing?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 26, 2011 9:33 am

The neighborhood mailing lists are already talking about bringing back the path watch. I wasn't paying attention last time but the story is that they started traveling the path where it's quiet and dimly lit out by Kipp and that caused the perps to move to a better lit area where they got identified and caught.

The sidebar story is that this is a gang initiation.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu May 26, 2011 9:39 am

Henry Vilas wrote:So Uncle, what are you packing?

A U-Lock makes quite an impact.

Serioulsy tho'. This sucks.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu May 26, 2011 11:06 am

Yet another job for Schwinn-Man!

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:-or like a good liberal, you can sit back and enjoy having the crap beat out of you.

So if someone asks you for the time I assume the first thing you do is pull out your gun, then turn around. Tell me at what point would have carrying a gun in this specific incident helped.

He got knocked down and they rummaged his pockets. Had he been carrying a gun, they would have taken that. A lot of good that gun did in this instance.

These people will continue the muggings, concealed carry or not.

Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu May 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So Uncle, what are you packing?

Are you hitting on me?

I rely on my street smarts, rugged natural charm, animal magnetism, and mostly on luck in my dealings on the street. I love to walk so I'm out there a lot more than most.

And I don't have a problem with conceal and carry. I listened to all the fearful bleatings and histrionics up here in the Twin Cities before the law went into effect and the reality has been uneventful. I like the idea that criminals don't which potential victims might have the capability to pull out a gun and shoot them through the brain rather than submit to a rape, robbery, or beating.

In addition, I have no problem with the training, background checks, and licensing that go with owning and carrying a gun. Based on the lack of gun related mayhem caused by law abiding citizens, I'd say the average citizen doesn't mind as well.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu May 26, 2011 7:25 pm

If you shoot the bad guy, then you're up for prosecution. The surviving two bad guys will tell a story that make you out to be the killer. If you shoot all three, then how can that be self-defense, you killed three unarmed people.

If there's one thing prosecutors love to do, it's prosecute.

Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 pm

That's why if you are going to carry a gun you must also carry a knife. Then you toss the knife to the bad guy right before you shoot him in self defense.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 am

There's been 1 or 2 recently on Winnebago too. Very frustrating. My girlfriend talks more frequently about aspiring to live somewhere else. I want our reasons for that to be our desire for a different style house, not because of a small group of future cellmates.

Having them get caught (for this crime) would be good of course, but the small amount of time they'll be away, if any, isn't what they deserve. In a perfect world of karmic justice they will eventually pick the wrong dude and there will be no weapons present to tip the scales. But that's hoping for a lot..

Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Sat May 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:-or like a good liberal, you can sit back and enjoy having the crap beat out of you.

So if someone asks you for the time I assume the first thing you do is pull out your gun, then turn around. Tell me at what point would have carrying a gun in this specific incident helped.

He got knocked down and they rummaged his pockets. Had he been carrying a gun, they would have taken that. A lot of good that gun did in this instance.

These people will continue the muggings, concealed carry or not.

In the linked report, the victim's primary mistake was being unaware of his surroundings. The bad guys managed to get within striking distance without him noticing. Had he been paying attention, and armed, he could have had his hand on his gun, stopped and turned. If they then attacked him, he would see it coming and have time to draw and shoot. If they would have kept walking, then he would be standing there watching them go.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 am

Some Guy wrote:In the linked report, the victim's primary mistake was being unaware of his surroundings. The bad guys managed to get within striking distance without him noticing. Had he been paying attention, and armed, he could have had his hand on his gun, stopped and turned. If they then attacked him, he would see it coming and have time to draw and shoot. If they would have kept walking, then he would be standing there watching them go.
That's a fine scenario for a video game. But more likely is that the protagonist in your story would have stopped, turned, then experienced a brief, final, flash of light.

Anyone has got to know there are, at least, some of these concealed-carry wingnuts on the loose, so it makes sense to shoot first and ask questions later. And that goes for bad guys and good guys. In terms of risk, is it really any more dangerous to run up against one of those bad guys (by intent) versus a law-abiding wack job who can't get by without a high-caliber crutch?

Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Sun May 29, 2011 1:01 am

fennel wrote:
Some Guy wrote:In the linked report, the victim's primary mistake was being unaware of his surroundings. The bad guys managed to get within striking distance without him noticing. Had he been paying attention, and armed, he could have had his hand on his gun, stopped and turned. If they then attacked him, he would see it coming and have time to draw and shoot. If they would have kept walking, then he would be standing there watching them go.
That's a fine scenario for a video game. But more likely is that the protagonist in your story would have stopped, turned, then experienced a brief, final, flash of light.

Anyone has got to know there are, at least, some of these concealed-carry wingnuts on the loose, so it makes sense to shoot first and ask questions later. And that goes for bad guys and good guys. In terms of risk, is it really any more dangerous to run up against one of those bad guys (by intent) versus a law-abiding wack job who can't get by without a high-caliber crutch?

Bullshit. I've been in that scenario hundreds of times - with and without a gun. The people coming up behind me have almost always kept walking. The very few times they didn't, and I was carrying, it was never necessary to draw the weapon, but on one of those it was necessary to let it be seen. Out of the times it happened that I was not carrying, on two of those occasions, I would have drawn. On one of those a knife sliced through my coat, shirt, and across a few inches of my chest.

CoffeeJones

Postby CoffeeJones » Sun May 29, 2011 10:08 am

Some Guy wrote:Bullshit. I've been in that scenario hundreds of times - with and without a gun. The people coming up behind me have almost always kept walking. The very few times they didn't, and I was carrying, it was never necessary to draw the weapon, but on one of those it was necessary to let it be seen. Out of the times it happened that I was not carrying, on two of those occasions, I would have drawn. On one of those a knife sliced through my coat, shirt, and across a few inches of my chest.

Really? Hundreds of times? What is it that makes you such a target? I've lived and worked in much larger cities and with much higher crime rates, and have walked through some of the worst neighborhoods in them at all hours of the day, and have never been threatened. Granted, I may just be lucky, but you must be extremely unlucky for this to have happened.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 am

He is just a bully who cries victim.

Return to “Town Vibe”