Bare feet in schools?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
mifflander
Forum Addict

Re: Bare feet in schools?

Postby mifflander » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 am

[quote="Uncle_Leaver]
You can't be for real.

[/quote]

Yeah, there's no way. He's playing us all like a cheap banjo.

I'm embarrassed that I ever seriously responded to this thread.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 am

and don't get me started on people that walk around in bare fingers.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Well, I suppose then that it shouldn't be all that surprising when one of these poor, put-upon offspring - who have never accepted that there are parameters anywhere - gets turned down for that nice, stable, well-paying job because they show up for the interview barefoot with all of the face jewelry screwed in and on and the dredlocks/spiky uncombed hair and the wrist to shoulder, ankle to hip, neck and belly/back tattoos visible wearing a belly-exposing shirt and saggy, about-to-fall-off skirt/pants with underwear clearly visible. As an employer, I say, more power to your "individual expression", kid and please don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:12 am

At my high school, the guys had to wear white shirts and rep ties (with or without jacket) and khakis and the girls had to wear plaid skirts and white blouses (with or without jackets). We were also required to wear shoes.

To the best of my knowledge, no one I went to school with was the worse for having to wear uniforms. We all managed just fine, and to a person went on to college and got some pretty damned good higher education.

Therefore, I find it ludicrous (but, considering the day and age we live in, not shocking) that there are those--admittedly few--who are mystifyingly concerned about whether or not the civil rights of these so-called "students" are being infringed upon by a requirement that they wear shoes.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:49 am

AaronTheSnob wrote:I find it ludicrous (but, considering the day and age we live in, not shocking) that there are those--admittedly few--who are mystifyingly concerned about whether or not the civil rights of these so-called "students" are being infringed upon by a requirement that they wear shoes.

The idea that this is a civil rights issue belittles the entire concept of liberty.

More like snivel rights. I notice the parents of these precious hobbits have no problem exercising those.

A hookworm pox upon them all, I say.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:19 am

snivel rights

Teehehe.

janekathy1

Postby janekathy1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:44 pm

I am mystified by all the posters who kept this going and going, not to discuss any real benefits or dangers or tips or personal experiences, but just to tell everyone that they should always wear shoes in public because that's how it's done, so there, and you are an incredible moron if you prefer to do anything different. Why react as if you are being attacked when some others prefer something you don't? I'm frustrated this wasn't a more respectful discussion among secure adults about how we can continue organizing our society to benefit us. (Psychological issues, anyone? I know what those are like, believe me. . . or is being an asshole sometimes just being an asshole? I don't intend that as an insult--not that I didn't feel like being insulting in reaction to some of the mean comments--but only to describe what's going on; I don't think that's controversial, everyone knows what they've said. But as far as psychology vs. evil. . . I guess that's starting a whole other discussion.)
The school issue complicates things, as far as the actual rules for each school, what it is appropriate to require of students in public schools versus require of the general public, and the constitutional issues involved by that. I don’t agree that the East High rule requiring dress that does not distract from learning requires shoes. In a well-run classroom, with normal, well-raised children, whether some of them are wearing shoes seems like a nonissue. Kids can make a big deal out of anything, but it’s unreasonable to let their fickle notions of decorum and popularity determine the rules adults set for them. The whole point is for them to be a valued part of the their community, to be kept safe by adults and to learn, as they develop, to be adults (which they can’t do if adults follow children’s rules)—but here I can see why some would think requiring schoolkids to wear shoes is necessary for their protection in the environment we’ve created for them, although it seems to me that by the teenage years humans can almost always figure out for themselves if they need to be wearing shoes in a given situation, and how they need to behave for their own safety if they aren’t.
The fact, the big one us open-to-barefooting people keep bringing up and have yet to see refuted by anyone insisting that going barefoot is somehow too weird or just wrong, is that walking barefoot on the reasonably maintained streets and sidewalks and inside the cleaned buildings that many of us frequent daily is just not that dangerous if you're watching where you're stepping. (It would be very informative to compare and contrast the effects these environments have on bare feet with those of the uneven dirt/grass/rock hominids walked on, and to examine the types of shoes people do/did and don’t/didn’t use for their localities before/outside of civilization.) Personally I prefer cushioning my joints and arches from all this punishingly flat, hard concrete with shoes with rubber soles and leather-and-latex insoles I've sought out, but if others feel more comfortable walking without shoes, or in shoes I would never want to wear, why should I care? Seriously, does anyone have a reason? Barefooting is not totally without risk, and carries some risks that shoe-wearing obviates (although no one has demonstrated which is truly more injurious as normally vs. optimally practiced in American urban situations, keeping in mind the poor design of many affordable, mass-producedshoes). But since when has it been generally agreed that anything with any personal risk should be outlawed or derided, anyway (bicycling, motorcycling, boating, drinking pop, eating fast food. . .)? Some element of risk is not sufficient cause for a blanket condemnation, whether it is one enforced by laws or by ridicule.
So yeah, going barefoot is a perfectly legitimate choice around these parts. Personal preferences and tastes obviously differ, but should it prohibition be enforced for all public situations because some situations are patently inappropriate for it? I don't think so.
The inappropriate situations I'm thinking of, by the way, involve cutting-/crushing-type injuries. The germs and fungus fears seem on the hysterical side of reasonable, to me--there may be special risks from athlete's foot et al. in damp areas exposed to lots of different people's bare feet per square foot, such as shower rooms and locker rooms--but I think it's pretty well-established that in normal situations we rely on the traits and strength of our immune systems, not all the surfaces we touch with our skin being pristine, to protect our health. Think of all the different surfaces your fingers touch everyday. We don’t seem to do too badly without rubber gloves at all times—though almost everyone agrees they’re great for some situations!
A gross personal anecdote: I got a wart on the bottom of my foot once--but it wasn't necessarily because I went barefoot. (Incidentally, it seemed to be smothered by my shoes during a summer of marching band--demonstrating another reason shoes can be good!) A few warts have come and gone on my fingers, too, related to nailbiting and other factors more mysterious to me. The point is it doesn't make sense to wear gloves all the time to protect your hands from warts: I came to learn, while researching how to deal with them, that the virus that produces warts is generally present in the places we live, work, etc. It's your general immunological invulnerability to such contaminants getting the upper hand in your system that you want to maintain.

Jane

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:21 pm

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:02 pm

How can anyone possibly get excited about this? So you have to wear shoes in the working world (real world)...most people also have to wear clothes without holes in them, show few if any tatoos and piercings and on and on and on...kids always push the envelope & there is nothing wrong or unusual about it- I guess this is just the reaction side of 'for every action there is an equal and opposite blah blah blah

cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby cloudy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

janekathy1 wrote: Why react as if you are being attacked when some others prefer something you don't? I'm frustrated this wasn't a more respectful discussion...

Welcome to the forum, Jane! The vehemence and incoherence of those that are shocked! and outraged! that a kid might stroll around school without shoes was disappointing, even by TDPF standards.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 am

Last edited by Peacetrain on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 am

janekathy1 wrote: 1. In a well-run classroom, with normal, well-raised children, whether some of them are wearing shoes seems like a nonissue. 2. although it seems to me that by the teenage years humans can almost always figure out for themselves if they need to be wearing shoes in a given situation, and how they need to behave for their own safety if they aren’t.

Jane

1. Where are these "well-run classroom, with normal, well-raised children" you speak of?

2. An awful lot of research shows the opposite regarding teen behavior. They often do not consider the consequences of their actions before hand and even when they do will often choose to look past them.

I'd guess that the reason schools require shoes is the same as why they dont let kids play tackle football at recess, skate board on school property, etc... LIABILITY

Im not anti barefoot at all. My daughter spent most the summer running around without shoes.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:36 pm

cloudy wrote:Welcome to the forum, Jane! The vehemence and incoherence of those that are shocked! and outraged! that a kid might stroll around school without shoes was disappointing, even by TDPF standards.

I just wanted to quote this as one of the most over-the-top, hilariously indignant-over-nothing posts I've ever read on this board ... which is really saying something.

Yes, the shock! Oh, the outrage! Cut us some slack, pal. I have kids of my own. You think I've got the energy to be shocked and outraged that yours are demonstrably deficient in the common sense department? Hardly.

But it's cute that you've confused ridicule with outrage.

cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby cloudy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks again Uncle Leaver for sharing your warped sense of irony.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Hey Wilma, Since when can't you fuckin' go barefoot to school? Fred.

Return to “Town Vibe”