East vs West

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3672
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly
Contact:

Re: East vs West

Postby rrnate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:35 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
rrnate wrote:Can anyone explain to me why the West Side has two farmer's markets, the downtown has one, and as far as I know, the east side has none?

There's the East Side Farmers' Market on Tuesday evenings, on the Central Park grounds. And now there's the new Capital View Farmers' Market on Sharpsburg in Grandview Commons on Wednesday evenings. There's also the Monona Farmers' Market on Sundays if you don't mind your East and your South mixing up a little.


Duly noted.

That being said, can we turn up the heat on this east vs. west rivalry? I want to make this thing happen.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7017
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: East vs West

Postby Marvell » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 pm

rrnate wrote:
That being said, can we turn up the heat on this east vs. west rivalry? I want to make this thing happen.


East siders drive like this.

West siders drive like this.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Shangri-La

Re: East vs West

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:46 pm

The Eastside Farmer's Market is not at Central Park this year. Its in the parking lot across the street from Wilmar Center on Tuesdays, 4-7 pm. It's grown in size from last year, so more vendors and selection! I love our adorable little mini-market!

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Shangri-La

Re: East vs West

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Marvell wrote:
rrnate wrote:
That being said, can we turn up the heat on this east vs. west rivalry? I want to make this thing happen.


East siders drive like this.

West siders drive like this.



You obviously haven't seen me DRIVE!

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7868
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: East vs West

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:15 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:The Eastside Farmer's Market is not at Central Park this year. Its in the parking lot across the street from Wilmar Center on Tuesdays, 4-7 pm. It's grown in size from last year, so more vendors and selection! I love our adorable little mini-market!

Aha. I wondered what all those tents were in that parking lot when I rode past on the bus.

They should put up a sign people could read from the bus windows. I bet they'd see a sharp uptick.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6741
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: East vs West

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Don't forget the Wednesday Farmers Market on MLK Dr.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Shangri-La

Re: East vs West

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am

rabble wrote:
kittenwithawhip wrote:The Eastside Farmer's Market is not at Central Park this year. Its in the parking lot across the street from Wilmar Center on Tuesdays, 4-7 pm. It's grown in size from last year, so more vendors and selection! I love our adorable little mini-market!

Aha. I wondered what all those tents were in that parking lot when I rode past on the bus.

They should put up a sign people could read from the bus windows. I bet they'd see a sharp uptick.


There is a sign right on the corner of the lot. But its not too obvious cause we like to keep the "rabble" out..... ;)

cattyrood
Senior Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:48 am
Location: Near East Side
Contact:

Re: East vs West

Postby cattyrood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:57 am

When I was a child (approximately a gazillion years ago) the saying was "west is best, east is greased" - (but the times, they are achangin').

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12946
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: East vs West

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:02 pm

That was back when there was a whole demographic called greasers. Greasers were the opposite of colleeges. Greasers were not necessarily hoods, though.

Midwestern social stratification at its best.

What happened to the greasers? I haven't heard that word in years.

Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:12 pm
Contact:

Re: East vs West

Postby Nick Berigan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Hybridization.

Maeve
Forum Addict
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: East vs West

Postby Maeve » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Precisely. Greasers bred with preppies and created hipsters.

persia
Forum Addict
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:43 pm

Re: East vs West

Postby persia » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:11 am

It's funny, but I rare actually get east of the UW, just doesn't seem to be anything to draw me there. I think of the Christmas lights over by the coliseum as east....

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7868
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: East vs West

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 pm

persia wrote:It's funny, but I rare actually get east of the UW, just doesn't seem to be anything to draw me there. I think of the Christmas lights over by the coliseum as east....

I've taken a poll using several of my east and near east-side neighbors and after analyzing all the data, I can honestly say that we're okay with that.

We think it's amusing but not quite amusing enough to call it funny.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7017
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: East vs West

Postby Marvell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Maeve wrote:Precisely. Greasers bred with preppies and created hipsters.


Not true. Greasers are biologically incapable of breeding with preppies; the result of such unions are called 'gruppies' and are non-viable outside the womb.

Hipsters are actually mass-produced in giant chemical lagoons located on the Apple Computers campus just outside Palo Alto, nourished by a rich biotic stew of duck confit, rayon and PBR. Once harvested, they are raised in communal 'pods' where they are trained in the finer arts of sneering condescension and obsessive cultural trend-following. Upon reaching maturity they are given an i-Phone and branded with the mark of the beast on the left ass-cheek.

Or so I've been told.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3793
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Re: East vs West

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Marvell wrote:
Not true. Greasers are biologically incapable of breeding with preppies


However, in the event that a pair forces the issue, such as in the case of Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson, one or the other will cross to the other side to make the union viable.

Rumor has it that Pinky Tuscadero single handedly turned an entire high school debate team into a brooding gang of leather-clad misfits with blurry vision and every intention of someday owning motorcycles.


Return to “Town Vibe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests