East vs West

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

East vs West

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Over in the East Side Vibe forum we are making plans to shut down Mineral Point Road and Monroe Street, and turn them into parks. Suck on it, west siders.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: East vs West

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Is that what you've been doing in there? Any thread that long usually has more than its fair share of snark and bickering so I've been afraid to even look. Not that I can't get my fill of that everywhere else on the forum and not that I don't constantly contribute to it.

Back on topic. If I can drive my car through your park then I'm all for your idea.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:11 pm

You might want to reconsider those plans - I recently moved to the west side and now that I'm over there it has become awesome, vibrant and wonderful.

I have been making my own plans to cause a drunk scene on the east side and then retreat to my west side lair.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:Over in the East Side Vibe forum we are making plans to shut down Mineral Point Road and Monroe Street, and turn them into parks. Suck on it, west siders.

There's an east side? Really? Well, isn't that special.

Have a nice day!

:wink:

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Over in the East Side Vibe forum we are making plans to shut down Mineral Point Road and Monroe Street, and turn them into parks. Suck on it, west siders.

There's an east side? Really? Well, isn't that special.

Have a nice day!

You’re not being aware of the East Side would indicate that you’ve never been to the East Side. Which would logically be one of the things that makes it special.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:21 pm

I propose airlifting Elver Park and placing it on the much-beloved 1800 block of Jenifer St.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:28 pm

As far as I can tell, east siders are pretty much a bunch of surly low-lifes who huddle in their tenements out there by the Yahara nursing their grudges against the west side. Some kind of inferiority complex thing.

That's why you never see a west sider stirring up this kind of "east vs. west" thread. Why would we care? Plus, we're too busy maintaining our lawns and talking about golf.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:That's why you never see a west sider stirring up this kind of "east vs. west" thread. Why would we care? Plus, we're too busy maintaining our lawns and talking about golf.

I'm too busy planning and acting on my seriously covert pro-business agenda to cause any east vs. west rancor.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:49 pm

In a couple years Monroe Street will be blocked off from traffic, but not to make it a park. The entire length will be resurfaced and the underground water and storm utilities replaced in the business district. Rush hour traffic on the West side will be a mess.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:50 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:As far as I can tell, east siders are pretty much a bunch of surly low-lifes who huddle in their tenements out there by the Yahara nursing their grudges against the west side. Some kind of inferiority complex thing.

That's why you never see a west sider stirring up this kind of "east vs. west" thread. Why would we care? Plus, we're too busy maintaining our lawns and talking about golf.

My observation from my time in Madison is that East Siders are generally pleasant, cheerful, salt-of-the-earth kind of people. On the other hand, most west siders are self-absorbed, supercilious preeners.

My other observation is that among the “townies”, the whole East vs West thing is fairly good natured.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Let's have a show of hands for how many west siders have wandered over into the east side vibe section and tried to stir up a lot of acrimony. Anyone? Anyone? Nope, didn't think so.

See, we're pretty comfortable here with our starbucks and our SUVs and our Lands End wardrobes. We just don't see the point in those kinds of east vs. west arguments. I mean, really? Surely there's no question, right? Plus, we tend to go to bed early. And we try not to think about things too hard.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:See, we're pretty comfortable here with our starbucks and our SUVs and our Lands End wardrobes. We just don't see the point in those kinds of east vs. west arguments. I mean, really? Surely there's no question, right? Plus, we tend to go to bed early. And we try not to think about things too hard.

Dude, you're making us look bad.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:28 pm

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who lives east of Blair Street ought to just go ahead and call themselves Sun Prairieistas, or whatever the hell people who live in Sun Prairie call themselves.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:East Siders are generally pleasant, cheerful, salt-of-the-earth kind of people who share an inordinate amount of fondness for overpriced hipster restaurants with glacial service, couches that first found their way to St. Vinnie's in 1972 and outfits stolen off my grandma's corpse.

Fixed.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Thusnelda wrote: couches that first found their way to St. Vinnie's in 1972 and outfits stolen off my grandma's corpse.[/i]

Aren't those pretty much one and the same? I had a couch during college that I referred to as "Nana", as it was seemingly made from the exact same material(and pattern) as most of her clothing.

Return to “Town Vibe”