Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:You think paying guys to spread some salt is expensive? Wait until we have to pay to settle all the lawsuits from people falling down and breaking their hips on city property.

Unfortunately, that is next to impossible. Suing over injury that occurs on government property is much different than if you slipped and fell on a sidewalk in front of a private residence. The Legislature and the Courts have made sure of that. City attorney Michael May posted about that last winter.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:58 pm

I think we discussed it in a thread too. Someone mentioned that the city can't be held accountable unless it had been, what, 2 weeks? 30 days? since the last winter storm.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:09 pm

OK, so they can't sue. Screw 'em, let them writhe on the ground in pain while we scoff. Suckers!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:05 pm

I walked Lakeside, Olin, Park, Spruce and Hickory last weekend. About every 4th house had done anything at all to their icy walk. Romnes Apartments let their elderly and handicapped take their own risks, until Monday morning. The merchants on W. Lakeside did an outstanding job! A friend of mine was wheel-chair bound, for six weeks, last year. That kind of injury would probably push me over the financial edge. So all those homeowners can do what ever they feel like doing and I take the hit?!

All the years I owned townhouses, I always beat the help and took care of my drive and walk, even helping the old folks next door. It just wasn't that hard!

I'm getting Yaks soon, so I don't have to depend on neighbors to do the right thing.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Bwis53 wrote:All the years I owned townhouses, I always beat the help. . . .

:shock:

Glad I never worked for you.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:08 am

According to channel3000.com, the city started issuing tickets yesterday at $109 a pop for failure to clear/sand sidewalks.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:34 pm

This morning's WSJ said at least 177 had gone to the emergency room due to falling on ice from the latest storm...

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:33 am

I have a house in the neighborhood in question (between Atwood and Milwaukee) and have problems with ice on my sidewalk. I think the reason the neighborhood sucks so bad with ice has to do with improper drainage. Short of shoveling the whole front yard into the street, I'm at a loss on how to improve things for people walking through. Most of the houses in this area are set high for flooding precautions. After a couple of feet of slant from the house to the sidewalk, things level off from the sidewalk to the street. Considering most of the sidewalks were poured quite a while ago, it makes them the low point and hence the area where all the water drains. If one of the cement pads is higher then the rest, you end up with your own personal skating rink....wait a second, aren't people complaining about a lack of rinks a few threads up? I think there's an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive!
Seriously though, if anyone has a suggestion how to fix this (at least my portion), I could use the advice.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:10 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:Seriously though, if anyone has a suggestion how to fix this (at least my portion), I could use the advice.

May I suggest moving to south or east of the Jade Monkey? :)

We don't have no stinkin' sidewalks.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 pm

OK...I did that. Now, when does the city come salt/sand my street so that it's safe for the children and Elderly? It's been a 1" thick ice rink since the ice storm.

I find myself sliding all over my side street until I get to the spot where the city trucks make the turn away from my neighborhood. After that it's nice and clear out to Schroeder Rd.

Can we write the city a ticket?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:46 pm

juanton wrote:May I suggest moving to south or east of the Jade Monkey?
Yours is jade? Wow! What of alabaster or ebony? Do they rate?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 am

juanton wrote:
drinkinblackcoffee wrote:Seriously though, if anyone has a suggestion how to fix this (at least my portion), I could use the advice.

May I suggest moving to south or east of the Jade Monkey? :)

We don't have no stinkin' sidewalks.

Oh, I had to walk, on the street, around that Roffler Hair Salon - ice rink, all last weekend, enroute to Copp's and Cargo Coffee. Personally, I don't think a sidewalk has to be bare. A foot wide strip, sand, salt or ash would be fine.

I wonder if some sort of drainage system would help a raised lot?

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Yaktrax. Just in case you don't have any yet.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:42 am

Here is a cheaper alternative I recently tried with a pair of boots and it does help:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

jefsaw

Postby jefsaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Such salty language. I was carrying a 70-pound bag of sand out to my driveway in Mt. Horeb, slipped, and did a classic cartoon pratfall, where your body remains horizontal for what seems like 5 seconds before gravity kicks in. Your windows may have rattled in Madison. My wrist still hurts a week later, but the driveway's safe.

http://www.sawyerspeak.wordpress.com

Return to “Town Vibe”