Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: The High Road

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Bunny Chow » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:56 am

sylvie wrote:Often those barrels of free sand are buried under a mountain of plowed snow - at least the one down the block from me is.



Help each other out. If you see something that needs fixing and you are perfectly capable of fixing it....fix it.

That's what love it all about.

Dig that sucker out.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby bluethedog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:01 am

jjoyce wrote:Also, sand might be free if you live in a part of town where they put out barrels. I don't, so if the hardware store is out, then my walk isn't going to get sanded. It's not as easy as you make it out to be.

Elver park has a free sand/salt mixture. It's not in a barrel though; should just be a big pile in the parking lot by the softball fields.

There used to be a barrel out in front of Toki; not sure if it's still there.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7306
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:24 am

Bunny Chow wrote:
sylvie wrote:Often those barrels of free sand are buried under a mountain of plowed snow - at least the one down the block from me is.



Help each other out. If you see something that needs fixing and you are perfectly capable of fixing it....fix it.

That's what love it all about.

Dig that sucker out.


Just like, if you have a shovel, and know where the sewer is, free it up from snow and ice! The whole neighborhood will thank you and you will feel nice and warm inside. That's good citizenship!

We'll eye ball each other, see each other and help out in times of trouble. Just did that.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7306
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:24 pm

Some one save me some time. How long do people have to sand or salt their sidewalks?

It's amazing how casual property owners are about the safety of their icy sidewalks.

Time to get me some shoe chains...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23708
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:52 pm


Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4208
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Michael Patrick » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:21 pm

There are miles of city-owned sidewalks that are skating rinks right now. I was driving around right before dark, I couldn't believe how many have been untouched by sand or (heaven forbid) salt. There are going to be some surprised pedestrians tomorrow...

keelio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:06 pm
Location: Cottage Grove
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby keelio » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:23 am

Bwis53 wrote:...Time to get me some shoe chains...


A pair of Yak Trax does wonders on a day like today

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Madsci » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks for the Yak Trak suggestion since I thought it was time for me to get some ice walkers. Someone in my neighborhood has them because they leave a unique mark in the snow/ice.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:32 am

Used the Yak Trax this morning. They do help but you still have to be careful when you cross over 3 inch thick sheets of ice. I'm not really sold on the benefits of a handful of sand. It seems to help if you pile loads of sand on a sidewalk, but just a small amount doesn't seem to do much.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 14035
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:00 am

Our letter carrier, a staunch soul if there ever was one, uses those trax things. Seem to work for him, up and down everybody's icy walks and steps. I don't know how he does it.

I happen to think a little bit of sand helps a whole lot. You can't get a bad slide going if the sand is on there. Maybe different people have different ways of slipping or something.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7306
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 am

One of my neighbors used cinder. Works fine. Cheaper than a broken arm.

AndyWx80
Forum Addict
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: madison
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby AndyWx80 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 am

some friends let me borrow these on saturday night when every sidewalk in the city was completely covered in ice. they are magical - i walked about 2 miles home and didn't slip once! i kept them for work the next day, and used them again this morning.

they were a gift that a relative had bought on QVC so i didn't really take them seriously until i took about 3 steps outside.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2926
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby eriedasch » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:There are miles of city-owned sidewalks that are skating rinks right now. I was driving around right before dark, I couldn't believe how many have been untouched by sand or (heaven forbid) salt. There are going to be some surprised pedestrians tomorrow...

Thanks for that, captain obvious. That is what happens when we have record snowfalls, we get warm weather, the ice melts, then it gets cold again and it freezes.

What are you suggesting? Pay city crews overtime to come in on sundays or work round the clock to salt (yes poison the environment even more) and sand the sidewalks?

Not trying to downplay the problem, yes it is very slippery. I almost fell in my own driveway. But some of the people that think it is their constitutional right to walk on bare pavement 365 days out of the year in Wisconsin ought to rethink what is worth bitching about or consider moving to a warmer climate.

Fact - this is Wisconsin and on some occasions we get a lot of ice that covers much of the the sidewalks - public and private. There is not enough sand and salt out there to cover every inch of it let alone people willing to do the work. If you care that much about it, get off your ass and do something about it.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:37 pm

When will us normal folk be able to get some free beet juice for our sidewalks anyhoo?

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4208
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere
Contact:

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:30 pm

eriedasch wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:There are miles of city-owned sidewalks that are skating rinks right now. I was driving around right before dark, I couldn't believe how many have been untouched by sand or (heaven forbid) salt. There are going to be some surprised pedestrians tomorrow...

Thanks for that, captain obvious. That is what happens when we have record snowfalls, we get warm weather, the ice melts, then it gets cold again and it freezes.

What are you suggesting? Pay city crews overtime to come in on sundays or work round the clock to salt (yes poison the environment even more) and sand the sidewalks?

Not trying to downplay the problem, yes it is very slippery. I almost fell in my own driveway. But some of the people that think it is their constitutional right to walk on bare pavement 365 days out of the year in Wisconsin ought to rethink what is worth bitching about or consider moving to a warmer climate.

Fact - this is Wisconsin and on some occasions we get a lot of ice that covers much of the the sidewalks - public and private. There is not enough sand and salt out there to cover every inch of it let alone people willing to do the work. If you care that much about it, get off your ass and do something about it.


This was not just a run of the mill Wisconsin snowstorm. It was an ice storm. Which means the response should be different than it is for for a snowstorm.

You think paying guys to spread some salt is expensive? Wait until we have to pay to settle all the lawsuits from people falling down and breaking their hips on city property.

I'm as sensitive to environmental concerns as the next guy, but at some point basic safety ought to factor into it.


Return to “Town Vibe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest