Short skirts in single digits on State St.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Bigote

Short skirts in single digits on State St.

Postby Bigote » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:31 pm

As a heterosexual male, I appreciate the effort (especially from you, Alyssa Milano lookalike in dark green minidress outside Overture Center) - but, seriously, it was 3 freaking Fahrenheit at 9:00 p.m. and that is not factoring in the chilly Isthmus windchill! Were you not a teensy bit cold?

Can someone shed some light on the necessity to look hot superseding the need to stay reasonably warm? Is it a cultural (Wisconsin) thing? Is alcohol involved?

Brrr...!

:shock:

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Short skirts in single digits on State St.

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Yep, and I see 'em with skinny jackets, thin pants and stiletto heels! What is it with the heels this year? The sidewalk's already slippery! Your cold boody is gonna land on that ice!

JohnnyBlood

Postby JohnnyBlood » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:43 pm

It's better to look good than feel good, dahling.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Looking hot = feeling hot
At least, I presume that's what it means.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 pm

As my late dad used to say, "No brains, no pains".

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:54 am

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 am

This topic came up with some regulars at the bar a few days ago too...the general consensus was that guys form Wisconsin can most definitely tell if a girl is hot even if she's bundled up a half-length down coat, mittens, and a wool cap. Somehow we've developed this ability, strange as it is, and it’s a hell of an interesting phenomenon.

Now the Darwinian in me also loves the mini-skirts in January, because there's nothing that says "vulnerable" like stilettos in winter,....guys just are thinking to themselves: "wounded Gazelle, wounded Gazelle.......mmmmmm, dinner."

--Dan Motor

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:09 am

Hey, don't single out a few women. I see FAR more guys (yeah, you know the type) walking around in T-shirts and shorts when the temp drops below freezing. I guess they think it looks cool or something. (It actually makes them look ridiculous...especially since you can see the goosebumps on their flesh a mile away. But looking cool is more important than staying warm for these doofuses.)

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:59 am

You mean the guys in the tight pants and skinny leather jackets or the guys in jeans, hoodies and butt cracks?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 am

AaronTheSnob wrote:Hey, don't single out a few women. I see FAR more guys (yeah, you know the type) walking around in T-shirts and shorts when the temp drops below freezing. I guess they think it looks cool or something. (It actually makes them look ridiculous...especially since you can see the goosebumps on their flesh a mile away. But looking cool is more important than staying warm for these doofuses.)

No one told them it made them look like idiots when they were "that guy" in high school, and the early winter deals on cargo shorts at American Eagle are just too choice to pass up, bra!

I was actually remarking that I've seen ample young women dressed in the aforementioned skinny jeans, but with either tall/riding boots or non-Ugg fur-lined boots. Like, a lot of 'em. Figured that was the look this season. But then, I don't spend a lot of time on State St at any time of day, much less drinkin' time.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am

I love any excuse to share this video and this thread is just begging for it! Nice Peter- Put Your Coat On

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am

Yes, it's around this time of year that "shorts guy" makes his presence obnoxiously clear. I'm aware of a few of these guys who lap up all the attention they get from wearing shorts in any occasion. There was a band geek in my dorm in college who was in shorts daily, despite the thermometer's reading.

A couple years ago, I was meeting some friends and their parents, who had subsequently invited some other people, for breakfast. It was January. One of the dads, clearly impressed, warned "Check it out when my buddy Jim gets here. Bet he'll be wearing shorts."

Sure enough, Jim strolls in wearing what might technically be called "jorts." "Told ya!" the dad chortled, proceeding to rib the guy in an exchange they both clearly enjoyed. I mean, whatever makes you happy, right? But don't celebrate this kind of idiocy, just ignore it.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 pm

A frequently spotted look outside UW's Shell gym, where I work out, is the North Face coat and gym shorts.

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm

I especially enjoy driving down Dayton Street early Friday morning on my way to work, and seeing some young woman in the same outfit she wore out clubbing on Thursday night, doing the "walk of shame" back to her apartment so she can get changed and cleaned up before class.

Funny how sad that outfit looks in the cruel light of day....

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Bigote wrote:Were you not a teensy bit cold?

Two words. Winter Silks.

Also, it's amazing how warm fishnet stockings really are.

Return to “Town Vibe”