East Washington..... anything coming?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: East Washington..... anything coming?

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:15 pm

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 963f4.html

I'm very disappointed. I hope another good grocer will invest there.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Ah, fuck.

I hope so too, Bwis—a good grocer proposing a full-size store. We don't need a Cap Centre or Fresh Market east.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Sprouts hasn't made it to the Mid-West yet, it would be a nice fit with Madison if they were able to attract an established, growing chain like them. They are like Whole Foods, but less expensive.

http://sprouts.com

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:28 pm

I hope someday we can find out what the back story is. Metcalfe's would have been a great asset to that neighborhood. I live near the original one in Hilldale, and don't care to imagine life without it.

Kayjay

Postby Kayjay » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:52 am

So, I keep seeing ad after ad on Craigslist for warehouse jobs at ShopBop. I know that they are celebrated as a job-bringer/revitalizer. What I am wondering is, are these good jobs? Does anyone know if the warehouse is a decent place to work? Because I have heard harrowing stories of terrible pick/pack warehouse jobs around the country, many via Amazon.

But I haven't heard from anyone who works at this one. Can it be recommended as a workplace, or is it one of those "better than no job, but not by much" types of places? (I also know that they hire via a staffing agency, which doesn't always do much for my confidence in the quality of workplace.)

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 am

Kayjay wrote:So, I keep seeing ad after ad on Craigslist for warehouse jobs at ShopBop. I know that they are celebrated as a job-bringer/revitalizer. What I am wondering is, are these good jobs?

Good or not, bear in mind that what you're seeing right now are holiday jobs. When I interviewed people at Shopbop for my profile of the company, I was told that each year there are often seasonal hires who are kept on after the season ends. The warehouse floor looked nice enough to me, but admittedly I spent the majority of my time on the white-collar side.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Kayjay wrote:So, I keep seeing ad after ad on Craigslist for warehouse jobs at ShopBop. I know that they are celebrated as a job-bringer/revitalizer. What I am wondering is, are these good jobs? Does anyone know if the warehouse is a decent place to work? Because I have heard harrowing stories of terrible pick/pack warehouse jobs around the country, many via Amazon.

But I haven't heard from anyone who works at this one. Can it be recommended as a workplace, or is it one of those "better than no job, but not by much" types of places? (I also know that they hire via a staffing agency, which doesn't always do much for my confidence in the quality of workplace.)

From what I've heard, it's hard work with a lot of standing, but they value accuracy over speed. Once you get "tried out" on the packing lines, you might move around to other departments, so it's not the same thing day-in / day-out. They seem to like to cross-train people to be able to do a lot of different tasks.

They actually use more than one staffing agency, I think Lifestyle and QTI.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 pm

gargantua wrote:I hope someday we can find out what the back story is.

It sounds like the Metcalfes are overextended and couldn't pull it off. Their name was on the proposal but it wasn't a partnership. They were the anchor tenant, responsible for their store alone.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:15 pm

narcoleptish wrote:

It sounds like the Metcalfes are overextended and couldn't pull it off. Their name was on the proposal but it wasn't a partnership. They were the anchor tenant, responsible for their store alone.

I'm hoping there's more to it than that. I pass by two Copps just to shop at Metcalfe's Hilldale.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I'm hoping there's more to it than that. I pass by two Copps just to shop at Metcalfe's Hilldale.
I don't get it. I live within a stone's throw of the Hilldale Metcalfe's but pretty much avoid it. The parking situation is burdensome and the store itself seems to be a painful combination of generic offerings, white lab coats, and high prices.

While I think the Food Hole is pretty creepy, I still prefer it to Metcalfe's. I try to hit the Willy Steet Far West when I can, but that's a bit of a schlep.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:

I'm hoping there's more to it than that. I pass by two Copps just to shop at Metcalfe's Hilldale.

Poor choice of words (mine). That wasn't my opinion, that is apparently the story. It's too bad but maybe it was just too soon after opening the west side store.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:14 am

Another article on the proposed development. They now want it much taller and still haven't firmed up a grocery store.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks Henry! I would have missed that if I hadn't clicked over to the Cap Times.

I'm still quite curious what agreement Gebhardt and Metcalfe's couldn't agree on.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:19 am

Fresh Madison Market wants in.

Jeff Maurer, owner of Fresh Madison Market, said he wants to make sure a local grocery store opens in the development rather than a national chain.

TLSteve

Postby TLSteve » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:39 am

Really?Jeff Mauer wants to keep things "local"? His proposal has a contractor from Fond du lac and developers from milwaukee. Not anything local about that. I went to a bunch of those meetings. a milwaukee developer does not understand our neighborhood

Return to “Town Vibe”