DID BOSTON POPS PLAY AT ADAIRS SATURDAY?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

DID BOSTON POPS PLAY AT ADAIRS SATURDAY?

Postby blunt » Fri May 18, 2007 2:46 pm

Once again, those darn urban kids are causing trouble!
At bartime outside Adair's, the tiny stretch of West Main off the Square was saturated with ebony-skinned youth blocking traffic and frightening white people.
Hip hop wasn't part of it.
It was strippers.
So if it's not the music, and it's not the club, and was never strippers before----who or what do we blame?
It wasn't the Shamrock homos, wasn't the Paradise punks, wasn't Genna's lawyers, wasn't the Rising Sun clientele..........?????
How do we talk about this without sounding racist?
Sure, the redneck fucks at The Dry Bean have gaybashed.
Yes, the drunk fratboys downtown have had fistfights.
I hate the cowboy/racist/jock/small-town Caucasion braindeads we call "white trash."
But I also don't like the drunk doo-rag Glock crack Negroid idiots we call "thugs" (or incendiarily worse.)
But they seem to be a problem, over and over again.
Not the music, not the venue, THE INDIVIDUALS.
So what do we do?
Ban certain music?
Ban certain entertainment?
Certain bars?
Certain owners?
Certain races?
Can anyone understand what I'm asking and answer without liberal bullshit or knee-jerk racial defense kicking in?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2007 2:50 pm

They have strippers at Adair's?

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri May 18, 2007 3:43 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:They have strippers at Adair's?

Better let MadMind know this at once.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri May 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Were there any crimes being commited other some jive ass loitering in the street nonsense?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri May 18, 2007 4:20 pm

I understand what you're asking and I give you credit for asking it. As for an answer, you got me. Most observations from a white guy are discounted as meaningless and uncalled for, having spent no time as a black man. So, more and more, I just don't comment.

In a town the size of madison, I would guess that there is a group of serious troublemakers that only number a few dozen, and these same people are probably responsible for most of these incidents. And among this group are however many individuals who seem to lack any comprehension of the seriousness of pulling out a gun and pulling the trigger. And you just don't get that among the frat boys at the KK, or the rednecks at the dry bean, or the jackass badger football fans on regent street. It's the one thing that separates the "thugs" from these other assholes. It's the reason I won't take any crap from frat boys, rednecks, and football fans, but I just keep going when the thugs who hang out at darbo dr. and marquette st. block my way, stare me down, mouth threats, and spit or throw food at my car. Actually I just don't go that way in the summertime anymore.

ritasvoice

Adair's Lounge

Postby ritasvoice » Mon May 21, 2007 11:23 am

I am very concerned about the messages concerning Adair's Lounge and the clientele. I am the owner and have worked very hard to be a good business neighbor and responsible business owner. Three weeks ago I started having DJ's that spinn urban beats and my clientele changed to a larger number of younger african americans. I opened my doors with the understanding that there would be a "no tolorence rule" for gang, drugs and violence. We have only had to ask one person to leave my bar in the last few weeks,( a white female who was beening extremly rude to staff) we have had no fights, no weapons, no arguments or general problems. I am extremly strick about my dree code, ID's, capacity and the type of music being played. Doo-Rags, baseball caps, baggie pants, gang were/colors, athltic wear is not allowed. My complaints have been that people are outside my bar waiting to get in. My capacity is only 99 and each Friday & Saturday we reach capacity. This means that people are outside, in a line that is ropped off waiting thier turn to get in. Once capacity is reached, anyone goig outside can not get back in without waiting in line. I have not had one fight outside the bar or any complaints of someone being rude to anyone outside the bar. I have had complaints that they are just there and thier music from the cars seems to be a problem. Last weekend I hired an extra security person to keep cars from playing the bumping music and to keep cars moving, as to not block any traffic. Each weekend night there are three secuity persons outside and three inside. (all this for only 99 persons) The strippers were for a private event and had very little to do with the large crowd outside the door. I close my bar 45 minutes prior to bar-time, as to stagger the times that other patrons in the block are getting out of bars. At real bar-time, all my patrons are gone and my bar is closed. I can't help but feel very concerned about the comments and complaints, as I have not had problems. It feels racist in nature. Why is it that someone needs to talk about the negitive experiences they have had with african americans, because there are africans americans on West Main St? I'm doing my best to be fare and aware. I'd suggest that everyone try the same thing. There is no guarentee in the bar business. When you operate a business that serves alcohol, there is always a risk. I'm practing risk manegement and remain thankful for the respect and support my customers have given me. I hope you can do the same.
Rita Adair

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon May 21, 2007 12:52 pm

And there it is:
it's not the bar, or the music, or the entertainment....it's idiot individuals.

My original post was in response to all the knee-jerk reactions certain people on the block were spouting.
That tiny strip of Main is one of the coolest strips around.
Rita has done what many others haven't and we hope she soldiers on.
That location has been a Bermuda Triangle and yet she's hanging in there.

Kudos, Rita.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed May 23, 2007 12:48 am

Call it a hip hop crowd. Find some way to talk about it without being racist. I want to see businesses succeed, businesses of all kinds. I hope Adair's succeeds.

I'll do my best to not sound racist. But I also want to do my best to be honest about the situation.

Some things to keep in mind are the kinds of problems caused by a hip hop clientele that differentiate them from the problems that other kinds of clienteles have.

This is just a fact: hip hop crowds are more likely to have gun violence associated with it. That is what happened at the Majestic. I was there one of the nights shots were fired. Frat boys don't carry guns generally. Frat boys fight. But they don't shoot at each other.

Hip hop crowds spill into the street and block a public road. This prevents people from going about their business. It prevents cab drivers from doing their job. It prevents emergency vehicles from doing their job.

Hip hop crowds have larger scale violence associated with them. Look at the fights that broke out at Cue-nique: large groups fighting and blocking the street.

So there are reasons for being wary of hip hop crowds.

Notice that I didn't refer to anyone's race. Frat boys can be black or white as can a hip hop crowd. Do I pass the "I'm not racist" test?

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Wed May 23, 2007 1:33 am

If you are trying to not sound racist, why do you mention race again and again?

And "hip hop crowds have larger scale violence associated with them"? Show me some statistics and I might be interested, but I might as well add in "every Rolling Stones concert leads to Hell's Angels killing spectators" and "Woodstock 1999 rapes females" to it. Those are just headlines without real numbers, sound familiar?

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with rap-related shows in Madison, but things you state as fact are far from it.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Wed May 23, 2007 2:52 am

100 W. Main, 0045hrs, May 20, 2007

There is the exact problem right there. Sorry I'm such a bad photographer. This is the patrons of Adair's Lounge, completely blocking the street in the 100 West Main. This is last Saturday night.

The same damned six vehicles came around at least three times. There were a couple of SUVs, a limo, and an orange hoopty Chevy Caprice with a 19" TV in the back seat. The drivers repeatedly double-parked across all lanes and turned the whole block into a parking lot.

The police came through repeatedly, and the cars came right back and stood in the street talking to bar patrons that wouldn't leave or move.

The crowd also had Fairchild down to one lane. I was trying to pick up a passenger at another bar, and my cab was blocked in there. I called the police at one point. Needed a cop to come through and force the cars to move.

I'd suggest that a traffic cop be placed at the corner of Carroll and Main streets. Only cabs could come into the block and those guys trying to hook up or stop to chat would have to pull over up by Brocaugh for that. That would also encourage the people in the street to walk away.

Another problem is the underage guys that can't get in, but hang around on the block. There were a few of those kids on Fairchild, along the building. That will be a problem within the next month as they accumulate. They are not bar patrons, but are part of the scene created by the bar. They are the bar's responsibility.

A rent-a-cop doesn't have the street presence to keep those cars from stopping. The blockage won't be tolorated for two more weeks. If it happens next Saturday, the Lounge should reasonably expect consequences the following week. It's just how things work.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed May 23, 2007 6:24 am

Frank Booth wrote:I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with rap-related shows in Madison, but things you state as fact are far from it.

When has there ever been a shooting related to frat boys in Madison?

When has there ever been a fight so large by frat boys that a street had to be closed off as has happened repeatedly with hip hop related clubs?

You're the one who either hasn't been paying attention or you just moved here yesterday.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Wed May 23, 2007 6:30 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with rap-related shows in Madison, but things you state as fact are far from it.

When has there ever been a fight so large by frat boys that a street had to be closed off as has happened repeatedly with hip hop related clubs?

You're the one who either hasn't been paying attention or you just moved here yesterday.

The Halloween Riots are exactly the work of frat boys.
Work spread through the greek system in the Midwest and they came here. It was advertised in Sports Illustrated.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed May 23, 2007 7:18 am

Bob - do the police ticket the cars blocking the street?

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed May 23, 2007 8:17 am

BobArctor wrote:
Wet_Pavement wrote:

The Halloween Riots are exactly the work of frat boys.
Work spread through the greek system in the Midwest and they came here. It was advertised in Sports Illustrated.

True.

But that's another issue that can't really be compared with trying to maintain a nightlife in downtown Madison on non-holidays.

I mean I get your point. But in some ways it isn't really relevant to the general after-bar time behavior that takes place almost every weekend in Madison.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 23, 2007 10:56 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:When has there ever been a fight so large by frat boys that a street had to be closed off as has happened repeatedly with hip hop related clubs?

I don't know if it happens today, but when Stillwaters was in business, this used to happen weekly on Henry St. when the Plaza, Bullfeathers and Stillwaters all disgorged their drinkers at the same time.

Also, when Madhatters was still open, the foot traffic back and forth across the street, to and from Brothers (Joe Harts) would often halt traffic on University. Same goes for Regent St. on football game days/nights.

Return to “Town Vibe”