Madison's East Side on GoogleEarth

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Madison's East Side on GoogleEarth

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:50 pm

If you have GoogleEarth on your computer, check out the model city block I uploaded this week. In GoogleEarth, put your settings so you can see the little house icons where people have uploaded model buildings. Zoom to Madison and click the icon that's near the corner of Baldwin and East Wash.

I modeled that entire block and geolocated it onto Google Earth's satellite photos. It was a project for one of my architecture classes, and I worked from the city assessor's web page, Dane County's map archives, and photos I took of each building one by one so the model is pretty accurate.

The GoogleEarth format is lossy -- the original model (which I have archived in SketchUp, if you have access to that -- it's a modeling program with a web-based archive) had the correct siding, bricks, shingles etc on each building and the GoogleEarth version just shows the colors. Still, it's cool, and very unlike a lot of GoogleEarth models which are of grand public buildings and tourist sites. It earned a five-star rating, too!

I want to do several more blocks over the summer to get a whole section of the east side covered with its own little buildings. It's for fun, but I'm also hoping it'll help me get a job in architectural modeling and illustration, site design, or urban planning.

With all the development poised to happen between First Street and Blair, we need a basis for comparing ideas and I hope my little model block can be a seed for a more comprehensive public database of 3-D visual aids. If you know anybody who'd be interested feel free to forward them a link to the GoogleEarth image.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed May 16, 2007 12:08 am

What does the icon look like? I see Smart, EVP, JT's...

Sounds like a great project!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 am

This reminds me of a project, I thought about: Photos of buildings and neighborhoods, altered in such a way, that you could get a preview of what a full restoration of historic sites, and positive infill would look like!

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed May 16, 2007 12:01 pm

Sno -

I have Google Earth, but can't find your project. I have 3-D Buildings checked and Google Earth Community, but all I find on East Wash & Baldwin is info on an idea about bus rapid transit.

Would love to see your project. Help?

AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 pm

I don't see the icon, either. I can see our preschool playground, though, which is pretty neat.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 pm

I am on a library computer now without Google Earth in front of me but it sounds like you've got different preferences checked on that bar on the left with all the "layers." I won't be able to remember what ones you want, so try this workaround instead:

Click this link (it goes to a Google image archive):

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

In the search thing, type in Madison WI.

That should take you to a page showing about four Madison items. You want the one that says 1200 Block E. Washington and has the link underneath that says "show in Google Earth."

Click that link and it should display.

Google Earth is so cool, I really need to get a grown-up size computer at home that'll run it.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed May 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Cool stuff! I just landed right in EVP Coffee's parking lot.

reggaefresh

Postby reggaefresh » Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm

Wow. I've used Google Earth but haven't seen the 3D Model stuff before. Keep up the good work. I'd love to see more (like the 1200 blocks of E Mifflin and E Dayton)

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed May 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Cool!

Could be very helpful for neighborhoods planning development.

I like how the photos of the trees mix with the flatness (in 3D?) of the buildings.

AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 pm

That's really neat! I like that you used the actual colors of the buildings, too.

Are you done with classes for the semester?

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 pm

That's nifty. Not sure what exactly to do with it but it's fun and interesting

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm done for the semester but I am taking more classes over the summer which will allow me more "free" computer time with all MATC's great modeling programs. It's just as addictive as game playing.

And the Mifflin St blocks are a definite possibility. I'm not sure where I'll go next, though I want my model blocks to be contiguous. I do agree it'd be helpful in planning development, like around the future Central Park and down E. Wash, but the plain old fun factor is equally significant.

A few cities (San Jose, for one) have uploaded extensive Google Earth modeling which I assume is for planning purposes. I don't know of any others who have used full color to do entire blocks, though. G-E's got a whole department called Cities in Development if you want to check it out.

The satellite photo layer is so accurate it's creepy. You can get lost for hours looking at stuff on G-E, both models and just the photos themselves. Check out some urban seacoasts with shipyards where you can see the ships docked, for instance.

So cool!

Dr. Sketchy

Postby Dr. Sketchy » Wed May 16, 2007 10:58 pm

Hey! This is MY block. I am 3-D flying around my house right now. Kinda cool & also pretty weird. Is a 3-D rendering of me about to pop out my front door?!

How did you end up picking this block for your project? It's great that you're doing this & will add more to it. Development along East Wash is a big concern as you know.

Wait 'til I tell everyone in the 'hood. They're going to get a big kick out of seeing this. I'll fwd a link to this thread. Please keep us posted as the database grows.

Thanks. And stop spying on my house.

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Thu May 17, 2007 1:49 am

Bwis53 wrote:This reminds me of a project, I thought about: Photos of buildings and neighborhoods, altered in such a way, that you could get a preview of what a full restoration of historic sites, and positive infill would look like!

This reminds me of a project, I thought about: Sand castles. Train models. Legos.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu May 17, 2007 8:32 am

Wicked!

That's my nabe. Keep up the good work, sno!

Return to “Town Vibe”