Tick removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Wed May 16, 2007 12:31 pm

Marvell wrote:I'd still rather deal with ticks than leeches.

Yeah, me too - which is kinda backwards. Leeches don't carry any nasty diseases, and they are very graceful swimmers that move in an hypnotic, waving motion. They are actually kinda cool to watch. Ticks, not so much.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed May 16, 2007 12:37 pm

small cheese wrote:
Marvell wrote:I'd still rather deal with ticks than leeches.

Yeah, me too - which is kinda backwards. Leeches don't carry any nasty diseases, and they are very graceful swimmers that move in an hypnotic, waving motion. They are actually kinda cool to watch. Ticks, not so much.

Great, now I've got the leech scene from "Stand By Me" in my head.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 16, 2007 3:56 pm

A trip to the vet last night (routine, not pest related) led to my discovery of something called a "tick twister." It looks like a miniature plastic crowbar. My vet says you wedge the forked end under the tick, pull up while turning counter-clockwise, and the tick literally "unscrews itself." He claims they work great, for pets and humans alike.

You get a large and small model for about $5. Seems like a good thing to keep in the med cabinet. I forgot to pick one up, but I'm going to later this week, as I have to drop off a stool sample (the dog's, not mine).

bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Mon May 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Actually, the Lyme disease bacterium is carried by & transmitted by ticks of the genus Ixodes , only one of which is commonly known as the deer tick. Out west, the tick is known as the western black-legged tick & in the south, there is a another ixodid tick known more simply as the black-legged tick. (Seems you can't get away from them :evil: )

Return to “Town Vibe”