Tick removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:33 pm

I think it's a vanity thing. I can still remember being taught manicure way back in middle school. Personally I can't relate to all the nail shops.

On the other hand, some guys really have a thing for long, strong, manicured nails...

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon May 14, 2007 8:25 pm

I've bought the Pro-Tick remover before, and it works quite well. It doesn't seem to leave any mouth parts in, and it just pops the tick right out. It's a little sheet metal tool with a slot cut in it, and you slide the slot over the tick's "neck" and pop the thing out.

IIRC, it's less than $10.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread hijacking!

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Mon May 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Hm. maybe your cuticles just don't grow up along your nails. Do you have, like, a fleshy film around the base of your nail? If so, that's what you can kind of push around and scrape off to make your nails look more...uncluttered. I think those wooden sticks are way too harsh, though. Myself, I use a pottery tool.

p.s. I'm terrified of finding a tick in my pubs. Also, v. sorry about your childhood.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue May 15, 2007 7:04 am

Ticks do seem to crawl toward the head. I usually find them on my neck/head of me or my dogs. My favorite disposal method is placing the nasty little creatures in a smalljar of rubbing alcohol to watch them drown. This preserves them for show-and-tell.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 am

comte buffon wrote:I'm terrified of finding a tick in my pubs.

I wouldn't worry. They're far more prevalent in wooded areas than in bars.

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Tue May 15, 2007 10:44 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:
comte buffon wrote:I'm terrified of finding a tick in my pubs.

I wouldn't worry. They're far more prevalent in wooded areas than in bars.

ha! right. I guess that would be "pubes"?

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 am

The ones in the pubes would be crabs.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 am

Madsci wrote:The ones in the pubes would be crabs.

If your crabs are the size of ticks, you've gotta turbo-steroid-inflicted case of crabs, the Hulk Hogan of little vermins.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Not sure if this works for crabs, but ticks HATE tea tree oil. If you find a tick attached to you or the dog or whoever, put tea tree oil on it with a Q tip. In about 60 seconds it'll start waving its little legs around and trying to back out on its own, and you won't have to pull it off with tweezers. You can just pick it up and flush it down the drain.

I never tried tea tree oil as a preventive (the way somebody else suggested) but from how ticks act when you spread it on them, it just might work.

wolfsbane

Postby wolfsbane » Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 am

Other cures I've seen tried include vodka, rubbing alcohol, and flame from a lighter. The idea behind these is the same as tea tree oil - make the tick uncomfortable. Personally, every time I or anyone I know has been tick-ridden, it always eventually come down to careful extraction with tweezers, regardless of whatever discomfort-oriented methods were used first.

The best way to deal with ticks is to take your hatred of them and your fear of their sneaky bloodsucking ways into your deepest most private being. Harness this concentrated hate and fear and direct it toward your closest friends and/or significant other. Always use the element of surprise, and never allow anyone to interrupt when you are giving a really awesome speech or smashing a domestic object for dramatic effect. This will spice up your relationships and add a Shakespearean element to your otherwise boring and staid life.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Wed May 16, 2007 1:51 am

bleurose wrote:The nice thing :shock: :shock: about ticks is that they do not attach immediately. They do crawl around for a bit before that. Another plus :shock: for us is that if it is a tick which is carrying the Borrelia burgdorferii (Lyme disease organism), it does not transmit said organism for several hours.

Only deer ticks (the small black ones) transmit Lyme disease. And it takes 24 hours before they can transmit it. You always should look for the round red spot which appears if Lyme disease is transmitted.
Lyme disease

Kittyweird
Forum Addict

Postby Kittyweird » Wed May 16, 2007 8:58 am

I just saw a doctor on tv address the question of tick removal. He said NOT to douse them with anything that will irritate them. The reason for this is that the virus is stored in blood in the body of the tick, not the head. If you irritate the tick with alcohol, tea tree oil or anything else, it will shoot any blood stored in it's body into your body. He said to grab as much of the head as you can & pull the tick off with a tweezers. He said it's no big deal if the head stays in you, that you can remove it or leave it and your body will force it out. The virus is not in the head, but in the blood stored in the tick's body.

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Wed May 16, 2007 12:01 pm

Back in my part-time farmer days, my friend Brenda and I decided to go for a walk in the woods after a full day in the fields. We knew that we'd get some ticks on us, but we were going to shower and change when we got back - so we didn't worry about it. We were used to dealing with them. Such is life in bumfuck central Wisconsin.

We got back from our walk, she picked off a few, I picked off a few. We both soon realized that I was covered with ticks. It was quite comical to a couple of onlookers who were sitting on the lawn enjoying their beers - me frantically tearing off my clothes while Brenda tried to get me to calm down and stay still so she could get them all. We didn't think of counting how many of them she found on me, but in the end they estimated around 60. I was traumatized for hours, which of course was also hilariously funny to them. Good times, good times.
---
Kittyweird wrote:grab as much of the head as you can & pull the tick off with a tweezers.

That's all I've ever done, for the same reasons stated.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed May 16, 2007 12:06 pm

I went for a bird walk outside of LaFarge this weekend. At one point I stopped twice in a ten-yard stretch of path and picked six or seven ticks off of me.

I'd still rather deal with ticks than leeches.

"Ugh...leeches!!!"

- Bogie, The African Queen

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed May 16, 2007 12:16 pm

small cheese wrote:I was traumatized for hours, which of course was also hilariously funny to them. Good times, good times.

That reminds me of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Alfred Molina is covered in tarantulas. Thinking about it still makes me itchy.

Return to “Town Vibe”