Tick removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Tick removal?

Postby bluethedog » Fri May 11, 2007 5:22 pm

I just had to remove a tick (from myself) for the first time ever. Are tweezers the best method or is there another way? How about on pets?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tick removal?

Postby Marvell » Fri May 11, 2007 5:28 pm

bluethedog wrote:I just had to remove a tick (from myself) for the first time ever. Are tweezers the best method or is there another way? How about on pets?

Here's how we used to always do it - bend out a length of paper clip and take a lighter or match to it until it's red-hot and glowing. Then apply red-hot paper clip to tick's ass.

He'll disengage.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 pm

It depends on how much quality alone time the tick has had with your skin. It works its head in deeper gradually. If you have gotten to it early, just pinch your finernails around all of it, including its mandibles and pluck it off.

Then, inspect the tick with your portable scanning electron microscope to verify that he's got a wee bit of your skin between his jaws, rather than leaving bits of tick embedded in you.

I remember when my dad found one that had gone undetected in his navel for about two weeks. It had swelled up almost as big as a june bug and looked like one of the California Raisins.

emilydenaro

Re: Tick removal

Postby emilydenaro » Fri May 11, 2007 11:28 pm

This website offers a really good guide to removing a tick:

http://www.lyme.org/ticks/removal.html

If you know it was a deer tick, it is really important to watch the site of the bite over the next few days and also to note any odd (esp. flu-like) symptoms you may get over the next few days and weeks.

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease even though I did not have a visible bite, so just because you don't get a bulls-eye it doesn't mean you have not been infected! (Although the good news is not all ticks carry Lyme :) ) But if you do have symptoms, don't wait to go to the doctor; I found out that I had Lyme years after I was initially infected and it was hell to be treated for, not to mention that the disease can stay in your system and cause long-term effects.

Hope I didn't scare you -- just be cautious!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri May 11, 2007 11:36 pm

I use the Flander's method of tick removal. I light a candle and then pray to sweet Jesus, asking him to coax the bitting little vermin to release it's mandibles from my flesh and move on to some less worthy sinner.

It's a faith-based version of Hartz tick repellant.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Sat May 12, 2007 1:45 am

Just pull it off as fast as you can. They used to recommend putting vaseline over the tick and then it will pull its head out because it can't breathe. I did this once. But then they said that wasn't the best idea, but just to pull it out.

There are a lot of ticks this year and earlier than usual. The peak time used to be late May to June. We went to the Wisconsin River a few weeks ago and I had 5 ticks on me - 2 of them Deer ticks. None of them were attached, fortunately. I had always wondered what they looked like but that's not the way I wanted to find out.

I have 2 relatives with Lyme disease in the late stages. They got it back before anything was known about it.

After our Wisconsin River trip I kept finding more ticks. They must have been on some piece of clothing. And my dog had 2. One was 1/2 inch wide. I was burning the other ones with a match but I couldn't do that to this one. I ended up dripping wax on it in the sink until it was completely encased. And then throwing it away.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat May 12, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks for the info everyone. How about bug sprays? Will any of them keep ticks off you?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 12, 2007 8:29 am

bluethedog wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. How about bug sprays? Will any of them keep ticks off you?

DEET repels ticks as well as mosquitoes.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Sat May 12, 2007 8:43 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
bluethedog wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. How about bug sprays? Will any of them keep ticks off you?

DEET repels ticks as well as mosquitoes.

DEET is toxic to people too.

We use natural insect repellents but I don't know if this keeps ticks off. My sister lives in the country . She says they just check themselves for ticks and pull them off. They don't bite you right away, usually.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat May 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Tea tree oil does an excellent job of repelling ticks and most other bugs. 8-10 drops of tea tree oil in a pint of water, shake, and spray on. It does have to be re-applied if you get sweaty.

Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent is good also and contains no DEET.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 pm

The nice thing :shock: :shock: about ticks is that they do not attach immediately. They do crawl around for a bit before that. Another plus :shock: for us is that if it is a tick which is carrying the Borrelia burgdorferii (Lyme disease organism), it does not transmit said organism for several hours. So if you find one attached & pull it off right away, the chances are good that it has not had time to transmit the organism. The unfortunate thing :cry: is that most of the time, you will never see or find the tick which is carrying said organism. However, this doesn't negate the advice to pull any ticks off right away. Best method is to grab the little buggers right down as tight as you can against the skin (yours, the dog's, the cat's, the horse's, the rabbit's, you pick) & pull firmly. If you have a minute piece of skin plus the tick, you've been successful. Flush 'em, cut it in half with a knife, anything to kill it & you are done. I also am seeing quite a few more than usual this spring and while I am usually pretty lackadaisical about putting the flea & tick preventive on the household herd, I've already been on it this spring. Have managed to corral at least half of them this weekend to treat them. Have also found one tick in the bed ( :evil: ) so this is probably a bumper year.

As for so-called "natural repellents" - get a clue, folks. Fleas, ticks & the like did not get this successful & tenacious by being susceptible to stuff like that. If those things really worked, they would have by now. DUH :roll:

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Mon May 14, 2007 10:11 am

Genie wrote:She says they just check themselves for ticks and pull them off. They don't bite you right away, usually.

I think ticks can only crawl up, so tuck your socks over the cuffs of your pants. Wearing lighter colors will help you spot 'em more easily. And you usually get at least a few hours between when they initially climb aboard and when they start to suck.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon May 14, 2007 6:09 pm

There is some new stuff called Picaridin. It's in Cutter Advanced brand. It is supposed to be less stinky and toxic than DEET. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon May 14, 2007 6:30 pm

Ok, time to hijack my own thread. So I got tweezers at Woodmans. The only thing they had was a 5 in 1 manicure set with tweezers in it so I got that.

There's 2 sharp wooden sticks in this thing called Manicure sticks. On the back of the package it shows that you use these to push cuticles "back and to the sides". I recall my mother did this to my brothers and me when we were kids and it was worse torture than the bar of soap that she sometimes shoved in my mouth after I said the word "poo".

Anyway, my cuticles seem to be doing just fine after going 32 years without this procedure performed on them. WTF is this done for?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 14, 2007 6:57 pm

bluethedog wrote:There's 2 sharp wooden sticks in this thing called Manicure sticks. On the back of the package it shows that you use these to push cuticles "back and to the sides". I recall my mother did this to my brothers and me when we were kids and it was worse torture than the bar of soap that she sometimes shoved in my mouth after I said the word "poo".

Anyway, my cuticles seem to be doing just fine after going 32 years without this procedure performed on them. WTF is this done for?

I think it's a cultural thing. Something like circumcision, but at least that is only done once.

Return to “Town Vibe”