Prairie Burning fees up 100% !?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Ted

Prairie Burning fees up 100% !?

Postby Ted » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:30 pm

We've got a little 30x20 foot prairie in the City of Madison limits that we've had going for a couple of years now. The fees used to be $50 a year for the burn permit, but this year they just went up to $100/year! What is the deal here? Is the city doing this just to grab a bunch more money, or is this being done to discourage little prairies in the city? When we first put this in, we thought $50 was high but we could live with it, but $100 is absurd!

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:16 pm

they're probably, you know, trying to find creative ways to fund the schools without raising taxes.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:40 pm

square wrote:they're probably, you know, trying to find creative ways to fund the schools without raising taxes.

The city and the school district are two separate entities. Raising more money for the city of Madison's coffers doesn't help the MMSD budget one iota.

Maybe the fee increase is to help pay for the new water filter in Well 16.

DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:57 pm

Maybe some of us don't mind spending a little extra for a prairie burn, since it attracts higher quality burns anymore.

Ted

Postby Ted » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:58 pm

DMeister wrote:Maybe some of us don't mind spending a little extra for a prairie burn, since it attracts higher quality burns anymore.

Could you rephrase that, I don't understand what you mean....

How does it "attract higher quality burns anymore"?

Is this a sarcastic comment in reference to some other topic?

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:54 pm

Ted wrote:
DMeister wrote:Maybe some of us don't mind spending a little extra for a prairie burn, since it attracts higher quality burns anymore.

Could you rephrase that, I don't understand what you mean....

How does it "attract higher quality burns anymore"?

Is this a sarcastic comment in reference to some other topic?

Allow me, Mr. Nugent.

See, 'country folk' from the rural areas like their prairie burns the way they like their fish. Big, cheap, and greasy.

Here in the city, we kick it all civilized. We have our prairie burns gently smoked, allowing the flavor of the charcoal/cedar mix to impart a delicate taste. Then we roll it up in some nori with some fresh avo, tobiko, cucumber, and just a touch of eel sauce. Personally, I like to roll it inside-out with some short rice and then put some roe on it, for color.

So yeah, get used to the city life, hick.

(For the record, I'm fucking with you Ted. The number of people applying to burn their lawns or whatever within the city is probably <10, the cost of potentially dispensing a fire crew is >$100, so they're like "Let's bump it". In case you haven't noticed, work is slow right now, and my good buddy JW Black came by.)

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:17 am

So DMeister's reply was a slam against the "hoity-toity" city folk.....

Last year when we burned, I thought it would be a good idea to call the fire dept. first to let them know when the burn was. I was told this was not necessary. I guess the problem is that even if you call, if they get a call from a neighbor about the burn they have to go out ANYWAY.

I wonder how many times they had to go out on calls cause of prairie burns, false or real. Is the $100 charge because they had to spend $1000 last year on the 1 person out of 10 that had a call?

Anyway this whole thing ticks me off. Basically I have spent a couple years building up my little 20x30 prairie, and now I have to take it out. Thanks City of Madison!!!!

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:03 am

This one has the makings for a classic.

shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:05 am

Why do you have to take it out? I don't think they need to be burned every year. If the cost is twice as much now, maybe you could burn every other year. In the intervening years you could just mow or scythe or crop the plants.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:20 am

I'd plow the thing under and put up a donut shop to protest.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:36 am

maybe the never raised the ticket for buring without a permit. SO burn one while everyone is at work during the day. I bet people don't come up to you and check to see if you are displaying your permit.

Or just burn it a foot at a time. I bet you don't need a permit to burn a 1x1 foot section. Might take all summer, but you'll save $100.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:08 am

Ned Flanders wrote:I'd plow the thing under and put up a donut shop to protest.
Stupid Flanders - everyone knows that when you pave paradise you put up a parking lot!

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:40 am

shelly wrote:Why do you have to take it out? I don't think they need to be burned every year. If the cost is twice as much now, maybe you could burn every other year. In the intervening years you could just mow or scythe or crop the plants.

Prairies arenâ??t burned every year and ours isnâ??t either. The last time it was burned was two years ago. And one of the main reasons for burning is to control exotic weeds of which I have a lot. The alternative is Roundup â?? not exactly environmentally friendly. Yes you can mow or scythe but itâ??s not nearly as effective. And then I have to rake off all the debris (a lot of debris) and do something with it, like paying more taxes for yard waste pick-up or driving to the drop-off site. I wonder what the carbon output is for burning vs. mowing with gas-powered mower or trimmer and hauling debris to the city compost site with an SUV.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 am

lysander wrote:The number of people applying to burn their lawns or whatever within the city is probably <10, the cost of potentially dispensing a fire crew is >$100, so they're like "Let's bump it".

Your math and a $100 burn permit makes sense to me. Just cuz Ted only has a little plot doesn't mean everybody that burns does.

Wah. As someone who's cried a bit on here about perceived injustices I've suffered I understand where Pyro Ted's comin' from. It's nice to have a forum to bitch about stuff even if there's little that can or should be done to change it.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:39 pm

Fence it in and get some browsers and grazers to control the weeds on a rotational basis.

Return to “Town Vibe”