Everyone Looks The Same Anymore...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 am

fennel wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:I've got to agree with jjoyce. I'm out on the West side and there's some interesting shops cropping up out here.

Not to pick on Elizabeth, but this construction has been pestering my sensibility like a bionic deerfly, since I moved to Wisconsin. Where does this habit come from, of using "there is," or it's contraction "there's," in place of "there are" / "there're"??

"There's twelve of them."

Ach! No!

"There are twelve of them. "
Or:
"There is a dozen of them."

"There is a lot of them" or "There is a bunch of them" might be technically acceptable, since we're talking about only one "lot" or one "bunch," but criminy! What makes this trend hard to overlook is that one hears it even from people in academia.

This is happening everywhere, not just in Wisconsin. I was surprised when I learned about that show called "America's Got Talent." I presume in this case that the apostrophe is representing "has" but then the title is "America Has Got Talent" which sounds really really stupid. (Or maybe the apostrophe is a possessive and this show is about how America has this talent for, um, "gotting") Everyone can understand what the title is really conveying so the point is kind of moot, but when did the language--and not just regionally but on a major network show--turn into such a big bowl of mush?

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:27 am

small cheese wrote:Same with a helmet. You've never seen helmet hair as awful as mine. It's the main reason I rarely take my motorcycle out.

Such a sorry reason for not riding! Get your hair cut short (#3 clippers works for me in the summer) or get a silk liner for your helmet. Or, there's always that other option we're not supposed to consider, don't wear a helmet. Your hair gets blown straight back and the road grime keeps it in place better than any gel or mousse. I find re-wetting the freeze spray I use allows it to be restyled. Yes, spiking it straight up is a style!

zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:53 am

fennel: we say a lot of funny things in Wisconsin, enjoy it.

also, on the fashion thing, I've always thought of Madison as a haven for people who dress "original"

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:23 pm

I may dress like everyone else anymore on the outside, but I'm quite special underneath my drab shell.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:02 pm

Oprah wrote:I may dress like everyone else anymore on the outside, but I'm quite special underneath my drab shell.

I don't get it. Special how??

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:04 am

Elizabeth wrote:The women shopping here mix vintage one-of-a-kinds with new trendy stuff. They are willing to pay for custom garments from couture designers

How much would an entire outfit described above cost? Could you please supply a low and high estimate? What is the age range of this clientele? Thanks.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:05 am

That "sock" the young man is wearing, looks like it would be very uncomfortable to wear and a pain to wash. Talk about getting your panties in a bunch! Heck, I get miffed when my bra straps tangle in the washing machine.

Some of my favorite designer duds come from St.Vinny's. I first discovered Talbot's, about 35 years ago, at a Goodwill store. The design caught my eye, not the label.

IMHO, dressing should be fun but not too serious.

Oh, and while we're talking about looking good; why isn't there a large makeup counter near campus?

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:16 am

jjoyce wrote: Punks I grew up with might have been trying to rebel via fashion, but they all had the standard issue Doc Marten boots and plaid wool pants.

yes, but the grrls looked sooooo cute.

sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:52 am

Bwis53 wrote:Oh, and while we're talking about looking good; why isn't there a large makeup counter near campus?

Yes! I'm not much of a fashionista, but I'd love to see a Sephora come to town. Although there is a smallish makeup place on State called Prep Cosmetics...at least I assume they are still there, I haven't been down there in a while.

As for everyone looking the same, I think some of it has to do with there not being a great deal of variety in town. Sure there are some great little boutiques, but I don't think most people can spend $150 on a pair of jeans or $300 on a jacket. Then there is the time it takes to hunt down interesting items of clothing, if one is so inclined. And if you're a tall or petite gal, it just adds to the frustration level. The petite clothing at Boston Store, for example, is mostly horrendous. So, I can see why folks would settle for the "generic" stuff at the Gap or Boston Store or Eddie Bauer.

Elizabeth

Custom Clothing

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:46 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:The women shopping here mix vintage one-of-a-kinds with new trendy stuff. They are willing to pay for custom garments from couture designers

How much would an entire outfit described above cost? Could you please supply a low and high estimate? What is the age range of this clientele? Thanks.

The custom clothing I have in my store starts at approximately $150-300 for a skirt, $225-275 for a corset, dresses start at $350 and go way up, and jackets are usually between $300-$500. The sky's the limit for the price depending on the fabric used and the number of fittings. The age range of the clientele is from early 20s to mid 60s. The clothing isn't geared toward a specific age demographic. It's geared towards anyone who's interested in having a one-of-a-kind garment...that interests all sorts of different ladies.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:55 am

sydgrl wrote:
Bwis53 wrote: Although there is a smallish makeup place on State called Prep Cosmetics...at least I assume they are still there, I haven't been down there in a while.

Sure there are some great little boutiques, but I don't think most people can spend $150 on a pair of jeans or $300 on a jacket. Then there is the time it takes to hunt down interesting items of clothing, if one is so inclined.

Prep Cosmetics is still downtown...Lauren Frank has done an awesome job of bringing in interesting new lines to town and displaying the product in an uncluttered atmosphere. I give it two thumbs up.

As for the pricey boutiques in town....you can get the $150 jeans they carry for a fraction of the cost in some of the consignment stores in town...at Lady Moxie I frequently get in Blue Cult, Seven, Citizens of Humanity and other awesome brands and they price out on the floor at $45-$65.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:07 pm

My beautiful velour Talbott's jacket cost $5. at St.Vinney's, My favorite hat,$4.at Rag Stock, my smile, priceless. ($1000. root canal) For everything else, MasterCard...

Elizabeth

Thrifting

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Bwis53 wrote:My beautiful velour Talbott's jacket cost $5. at St.Vinney's, My favorite hat,$4.at Rag Stock, my smile, priceless. ($1000. root canal) For everything else, MasterCard...

St. Vinney's is great.....if you have the time and the inclination to dig through piles of ratty t-shirts and the like to find the treasures.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:54 pm

Bwis53 wrote:That "sock" the young man is wearing, looks like it would be very uncomfortable to wear and a pain to wash.

I'm almost 40, but I've aged well.
It's grippingly comfortable.
A good vinegar soak does the job.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Oprah wrote:
A good vinegar soak does the job.

For the garment.......or your varmint?

Return to “Town Vibe”