Everyone Looks The Same Anymore...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:55 pm

Elizabeth wrote:I've got to agree with jjoyce. I'm out on the West side and there's some interesting shops cropping up out here. I own Lady Moxie, and the repeat customers here are definately not afraid to march to the beat of a different drummer when it comes to their personal style. The women shopping here mix vintage one-of-a-kinds with new trendy stuff. They are willing to pay for custom garments from couture designers so that they can have a piece that is cut to their exact size and their exact taste. When they are paying the money for couture they are buying it precisely so that they do stand out in the crowd.

Sometimes, when the street is full of tan pants, levis, dark dresses and office shirts, it's easy to stand out by just wearing a pink shirt, silk scarf, or a shady hat!

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:17 pm

There are simply too many dudes running around in sweater vests anymore. It's driving me crazy!

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:22 pm

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Nashville-cut sports coat.

What's that? Does it have a special pocket to hold a pork chop or something?

I can't stop laughing at this anymore!

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:28 pm

And when did anymore become a synonym for now?

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:43 pm

I think it means "I used to be able to stop laughing at this but it has become so darned funny I'm no longer able to stop"

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:44 pm

But didn't aaron complain earlier that everyone in Madison was too sloppy and underdressed?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:58 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
Sometimes, when the street is full of tan pants, levis, dark dresses and office shirts, it's easy to stand out by just wearing a pink shirt, silk scarf, or a shady hat!

When I want to stand out I usually do a staged trip and fall, spilling a 16 oz. bag of skittles. I scramble around pleading with people to not step on the red ones.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:19 pm

Some people are soooo persnickety! :wink:

But I love my sunglasses 8) and shady hat. My eye doctor told me to do that. I'm not trying to look like Greta Garbo...

Surely there's a happy medium between puttin' on the Ritz and lettin' it all hang out...

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
But I love my sunglasses 8) and shady hat.

That's a good look. I admire/envy people who can pull off wearing a hat (I said a hat, not a cap mind you). Not everyone can, and I finally realized that I am among those who cannot. A lot of people, especially men, think that they can, but they're fooling themselves.

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:46 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:
But I love my sunglasses 8) and shady hat.

That's a good look. I admire/envy people who can pull off wearing a hat (I said a hat, not a cap mind you). Not everyone can, and I finally realized that I am among those who cannot. A lot of people, especially men, think that they can, but they're fooling themselves.

I love wearing a hat, but rarely do because when I take it off my hair is more of a mess than it normally is, it's so fine. Same with a helmet. You've never seen helmet hair as awful as mine. It's the main reason I rarely take my motorcycle out.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:19 pm

So now we know what a Stanford education provides. . . . They can't write a simple sentence, but damn they know style.

Sounds more like Menlo to me.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:25 pm

buckyor wrote:So now we know what a Stanford education provides. . . . They can't write a simple sentence, but damn they know style.

I just turned 40, so humor me - what the fuck are you talking about?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 pm

Elizabeth wrote:I've got to agree with jjoyce. I'm out on the West side and there's some interesting shops cropping up out here.

Not to pick on Elizabeth, but this construction has been pestering my sensibility like a bionic deerfly, since I moved to Wisconsin. Where does this habit come from, of using "there is," or it's contraction "there's," in place of "there are" / "there're"??

"There's twelve of them."

Ach! No!

"There are twelve of them. "
Or:
"There is a dozen of them."

"There is a lot of them" or "There is a bunch of them" might be technically acceptable, since we're talking about only one "lot" or one "bunch," but criminy! What makes this trend hard to overlook is that one hears it even from people in academia.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:16 pm

Marvell wrote:
buckyor wrote:So now we know what a Stanford education provides. . . . They can't write a simple sentence, but damn they know style.

I just turned 40, so humor me - what the fuck are you talking about?

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=239258&highlight=#239258

Return to “Town Vibe”