Litter... Litter Everywhere

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
ConstantTraveler
Forum Addict

Litter... Litter Everywhere

Postby ConstantTraveler » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:05 pm

For the love of God people, what gives????

It's been a month since this winter's snow melted... and we're still looking at all the litter it revealed. Furthermore, I'm finding so much new litter since then, that it's both embarrassing and overwhelming.

I'm doing my part in my immediate neighborhood. About every other day I walk around with a couple of of bags and pick up litter until those bags are full. As I was doing this today, I felt I did a great job cleaning up each and every little small bit of trash along a long block of Post Road this morning... then turn the corner, and walk down Traceway Drive toward Leopold Park. What I saw was enough to really make me lose faith in humanity.

Trash on each and every property, trash on the sidewalks, in the street, on the terraces. Large items like 40 oz liquor bottles, newspapers and a dirty diaper!!! Small little bits of paper and plastic so ingrained in the grass that even the most eagle-eyed person would have trouble picking it all out. Do management companies not pick this up? do people who live there not feel ashamed by the sight that they dont' feel compelled to pick it up whether it's their responsibility or not?

The scene around the park itself isn't much better. I've been focusing a lot of my efforts around Leopold Park lately because it's public property, and the city only has so many crews and 200 or so parks. On Thursday, I walk though some of the woods in the back and find the ingredients for huffing (spray paint cans and an empty milk jug with paint on the side)... as well as used and discarded condoms. I threw away what I would (though I'm not touching the condoms or the diaper).

I'm still going to pick up litter on my own time. I'm not looking for credit for my volunteer efforts, I'm asking everyone else to follow by example. If you see trash in a park or on the street, and a little bit of extra time, help us all out and pick it up.

And if you see someone litter... honk at them, yell at them, do whatever, but instill a sense of shame on them. Litter or any kind anywhere is absolutely unacceptable.

Thank you for your time, and let's make our city cleaner, one vodka bottle and candy wrapper at a time.

ms.deeds

Postby ms.deeds » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:23 pm

With all due respect, you need to move. My neighborhood is not as filthy as yours seems to be. If you're living in a place where people don't respect themselves or their living space...well, it's not likely to change just because you're picking up all their trash.

Scooterboy

Postby Scooterboy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:25 pm

Decay, Decay, Decay. I had a dude drop a soda can on the sidewalk right in front of me. When I questioned him, he lied and said he didn't do it. There are plenty of people living here that don't give a shit about what the place looks like. They just don't care.

We need that PSA on TV with the Native dude with the tear running down his cheek after some rubbish from a passing car lands at his feet. That was on TV almost all the time, at least when us kids were watching. It kept me from being a litterbug.

ConstantTraveler
Forum Addict

Postby ConstantTraveler » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:35 pm

ms.deeds wrote:With all due respect, you need to move. My neighborhood is not as filthy as yours seems to be. If you're living in a place where people don't respect themselves or their living space...well, it's not likely to change just because you're picking up all their trash.

It's not just this neighborhood. When I drive on the Beltline, there is so much garbage smooshed up against the fence that borders the Arboretum. It's all over the green areas between the cloverleaf of the Beltline and Fish Hatch.

I walked through the prairie area of University Research Park, and litter was strewn all through there as well.

Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:06 pm

ever consider the term "Spring Cleaning"? When the snow melts and the debris of several months is exposed, it is sure to shock a bit.

Maybe the City's new trash bins will help. Most of the litter/trash problem in my neighborhood comes from trash cans getting dumped by animals.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:42 am

What, you mean they are supposed to be cleaning the streets and sidewalks? I'm not supposed to be looking at the same vomit spill every day for a week on state street? Huh... who'da thunked it?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:13 am

I always know when my dirty, noisy neighbors are hauling their trash, because of the sound of large bags of beer bottles.

Olympics, here we come! :oops:

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 am

I would say in the last 18 to 24 months I have seen a 1000% increase in the instances of litter being thrown out of car windows. Almost every day at the intersection outside of my house there is fast-food debris and soda bottles in the street. I've seen many of the people who are doing it, I've witnessed it no less than twenty times. Same people have a favored parking area down the street by the park. This spot is constantly littered with the same shit. I watched a guy park across the street last summer and get his kids and wife out of the car and into their friends house and then he proceeded to empty all the trash out of his car onto the neighbors curb and gutter. I've seen groups of young men walking and blindly discarding their cans and cig wrappers into the street.

Have I said anything to these people? Are you kidding, most of this has taken place right outside my house and my building has already been tagged and had windows broken. I don't need bullet holes to round out the damage.

So yeah, I pick up garbage almost every day.

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:11 am

I'd say the thing to do is take digital snapshots of trash-droppers in the act and post them to the Web, but you'd probably get sued over it. I don't know why, but in this country it seems like most of the things that are technically illegal don't really get you in any trouble, but most of the things covered by the bill of rights are sure to land you in deep crap.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:30 am

Mike S. wrote:I'd say the thing to do is take digital snapshots of trash-droppers in the act and post them to the Web, but you'd probably get sued over it.

There is no grounds for a law suit if the person was in a public place, as there is no expectation of privacy.

ConstantTraveler
Forum Addict

Postby ConstantTraveler » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:41 am

But if you're worried, maybe video would be better than. Post them in the act, as opposed to a before and after shot.

ConstantTraveler
Forum Addict

Postby ConstantTraveler » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:07 pm

For what it's worth, the first thing I did this morning was walk to Leopold Park again and clean up litter for two solid hours. I got enough to fill up a 13-gallon garbage bag.

Along with the usual items I found today... a used condom, a large empty bag of sidewalk salt, a shirt, and a knife. Since the park is next to Churchill, which had a stabbing early Sunday, I checked to see if it had blood on it. Nope, so I did my best to bury it in the garbage, and threw it away as well.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Lots of people make a lot of disparaging remarks about the west side, and in most respects I agree that the east side has much more character and a better vibe. However, I will say that I do not see much of this kind of litter on the west side, at least not to the point where it stands out at all.

In fact, sometimes when I am driving around on the west side, things are so neat and tidy that I can't help but wonder if people spend almost every moment of their time taking care of their property.

Vog

Postby Vog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:43 am

Law Park. Transients, regular visitors, and fishermen leave stuff on the lawn frequently, in spite of the green trash barrels there. Much of it blows into the lake. Isn't there an anti-littering ordinance? A few signs to this effect and a public-awareness campaign might make a difference. Aside from that, there will always be users who don't care, and it's up to those of us who do to pick up.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

THE HEART OF WILLY ST'S METRO STOP OUGHT TO LOOK BETTER!

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:30 pm

I just received a response to my letter and email about the filthy bus shelter, at Baldwin & Jennifer. City of Madison Building and Grounds say they have cleaned up the mess and will wash it weather permitting.There had to be every kind of garbage and hundreds of butts spread to the houses. Now if we could just put a shelter open on either side there and a non-vandalizabel cigarette butt recepticle. If they want to stay cheap, just turn that shelter around, or change the panels. That is a well-used corner and it should be fixed.

The heart of Willy Street's Metro stop ought to look better than that!

Return to “Town Vibe”