Madisonians - Where are you???

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Ted

Postby Ted » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:26 am

From what I understand, the runoff into the lakes that is causing the problem is mainly from:

1) Farms upstream
2) City streets (stormwater system), which includes runoff from lawn fertilizer.

I thought I read somewhere that the contribution is about 50/50, correct me if I'm wrong....

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:36 am

Bwis53 wrote: I saw Hilldale built from the ground up. The old Middleton bus used to drive by apple orchards at that point. McDonalds used to have a wooden shack, on University Av.,near the neighborhood of Spring Harbor.

Remember the overlook at Hoyt Park? There was a great view that included a huge field across Midvale Blvd, which was the future site of Hilldale.

Remember the A&W at the end of Midvale, on the other side of University? It was on the site of what is now Borders books I think...We'd take a drive along Univ. Ave., into the country (the area between Madison and Middleton) and there was a Dog and Suds on a hill on the left side of the street.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:46 am

missmadtown wrote:
Remember the A&W at the end of Midvale, on the other side of University? It was on the site of what is now Borders books I think...

The Borders used to be the old Kohl's. I remember they kept it open while they built the current Kohl's turned Copps, then tore down and built the Borders. Wasn't the A&W on the Walgreen's site?

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:51 am

Ted wrote:From what I understand, the runoff into the lakes that is causing the problem is mainly from:

1) Farms upstream
2) City streets (stormwater system), which includes runoff from lawn fertilizer.

I thought I read somewhere that the contribution is about 50/50, correct me if I'm wrong....

Yeah, those too. Oscar Mayer was dumping animal waste in Lake Monona... they had their hands slapped and that was it.

Oscar Mayer Foods Fined for Polluting Lake Monona and Yahara River.WSJ, Jul. 4, 1997--Oscar Mayer Foods has been given the equivalent of a "traffic ticket" for polluting Lake Monona and the Yahara River with grease balls.

Oscar Mayer will pay a maximum of $952 in fines for the pollution that has gone on periodically since at least May, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources officials said Thursday.

"It's along the lines of a traffic ticket rather than a punitive fine," said Ted Amman, Department of Natural Resources South Central Region spills coordinator.

The fines are low because Oscar Mayer has not purposely polluted the lake ...
(yeah, right)

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:52 am

Ahhh, yes, the good old days....or maybe not so much

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:57 am

white_rabbit wrote:
missmadtown wrote:
Remember the A&W at the end of Midvale, on the other side of University? It was on the site of what is now Borders books I think...

The Borders used to be the old Kohl's. I remember they kept it open while they built the current Kohl's turned Copps, then tore down and built the Borders. Wasn't the A&W on the Walgreen's site?

No, A&W was there before Kohls. I don't know if that little shopping center to the east of Kohls is still there--had Stassi's shoes, and a cake decorating store... Damn can't think of the name. (Cake Corner?) Maybe Walgreens is on that site. I havent been in that Walgreens, so cant exactly place it.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:12 am

missmadtown wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
missmadtown wrote:

No, A&W was there before Kohls. I don't know if that little shopping center to the east of Kohls is still there--had Stassi's shoes, and a cake decorating store... Damn can't think of the name. (Cake Corner?) Maybe Walgreens is on that site. I havent been in that Walgreens, so cant exactly place it.

There used to be a cafeteria at the Kohl's strip mall called "The Jolly Troll", which featured mechanized trolls on display. One time as kids, my brother and I figured out how to turn the trolls on and off, and we were all asked to leave.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:22 am

I never got to see that Hoyt Park view until after Hilldale was built. My photos only go back to late 60's to early 70's, from the top of Hoyt and Shorewood Hills. I do remember riding the old Middleton Bus with the coke cap on the front, past the apple orchards, before Midvale. I don't remember that A&W, only the S. Park one and the one on the way to Cambridge. Last time I went to an A&W, was after a hot day at the Arlington Hts racetrack, my son and I had what used to be called a "Black Cow" (Root Beer Float)

Since us kids didn't have the same distractions, kids these days have, I had a favorite bike hike route: Old Middleton Rd., through Crestwood, and the sandpit behind Knoche's. Oh, yeah, and the Log Cabin Inn, on University Av. in Middleton, just west of Jordan's Supermarket and Rusty's. Log Cabin had these nice little screened eating rooms,linked by birch bark bridges and Koi ponds.

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:56 am

Bwis53 wrote: I do remember riding the old Middleton Bus with the coke cap on the front, past the apple orchards, before Midvale. I don't remember that A&W, only the S. Park one and the one on the way to Cambridge. Last time I went to an A&W, was after a hot day at the Arlington Hts racetrack, my son and I had what used to be called a "Black Cow" (Root Beer Float)

Since us kids didn't have the same distractions, kids these days have, I had a favorite bike hike route: Old Middleton Rd., through Crestwood, and the sandpit behind Knoche's. Oh, yeah, and the Log Cabin Inn, on University Av. in Middleton, just west of Jordan's Supermarket and Rusty's. Log Cabin had these nice little screened eating rooms,linked by birch bark bridges and Koi ponds.

Were the apple orchards on the right side of Univ. Ave on the way to Middleton? A&W on Park had car hops. Always a treat to go there after swimming at Vilas! I dont remember the Log Cabin, but sounds lovely... did go to Shaky's, with the ragtime pianist and the "youth" room off to the side.

Used to ride the Fair Oaks/Westmorland bus. Not usually past the square, though. My Dad would take the bus to work downtown, and he paid with bus tokens in the early 60s. I bought one from ebay awhile ago!

Speaking of Black Cows, there was a little stand at the southwest corner of Midvale Blvd and the Beltline (back when it was a FLAT intersection, no overpass) and it was called The Purple Cow - with grape pop floats. lol. Didnt last long, and this was when I was about 3. My memory is too good sometimes...

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:52 pm

Yes, the apple orchard, I remember, was on the right side, enroute to Middleton. There was also a little grey wooden cottage, (or row of cottages) We swam at Spring Harbor and hit the McDonald wooden stand,on the south side of University, under these big trees.

Oh, an yes, back when I was a little girl, there was a motel called the Castle Inn, which is now small stonewalled apartments, University Av,North side.

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 pm

sailor jonathan wrote:
Genie wrote:There was a toboggan slide in Hoyt Park too. And a ski jump.

That ski jump originally stood on Muir Knoll on campus, with a run-out on to the frozen lake, until the university decided to put a parking lot at the bottom of the hill, around 1950. Then the Hoofers donated it to the city to install at Hoyt Park.

When did they finally dismantle it?

They ran it at least through about 1965/66 I believe. That used to be so very fun...

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:48 pm

spanky wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Ferdie's brother, TV Lenny (Mattioli) took over when Ferdie got ill and passed away. I found this schedule for Ferdie's show, but I though it ran in the early 70s.

Ah those were the days.

The host, Lenny Mattioli a.k.a. Mr. Mephisto, is honored by a local micro-brew:

See article here.

And turning up in stores this week is Mr. Mephistoâ??s Imperial Stout, named for the host of a horror-movie television program that aired in Madison in the 1970s. (Mr. Mephisto has been known to visit the brewery.) This beer has lots of body, a rich, black color and a warm finish. Mr. Mephisto costs a little more than the $8 most Lake Louie six-packs run in local stores.

Great find!! I remember watching THIS -- 04/07/1967 The Tell-Tale Heart --Scared me so much I was afraid to go to bed.

I think the Saturday night line-up about then was first, Mannix, then the Rifleman, then Ferdie's or Lenny's Inferno. That was before I was allowed to go out on Saturday nights.

missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby missmadtown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Bwis53 wrote: Former Mayor Bill Dyke was once the Host of Circus 3, right around 1959-1960.

Don't remember that! But before Marshall the MArshal was Mike's Manor (channel 15 or 27?), in about 1960/62...and of course, The Friendly Giant on WHA TV.

Remember Fern Fowler--was it a sewing or craft show? And Mr. Goober's Lunchbox--a TV cartoon show at noon back when all the kids walked home from school for lunch.

ms.deeds

Postby ms.deeds » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:34 pm

missmadtown wrote:
Remember Fern Fowler--was it a sewing or craft show? And Mr. Goober's Lunchbox--a TV cartoon show at noon back when all the kids walked home from school for lunch.

Yeah..l mentioned Fern Fowler earlier. She was all about glitter, elmer's glue and styrofoam balls. The other show I remember is a fishing show with Stan Bran...anybody remember that one?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:51 pm

ms.deeds wrote:
missmadtown wrote:

Yeah..l mentioned Fern Fowler earlier. She was all about glitter, elmer's glue and styrofoam balls. The other show I remember is a fishing show with Stan Bran...anybody remember that one?

Fern, wasn't she like one hundred and fifty years old? Vaguely remember Stan. When he came on, I got up and changed the channel (no remote back then).

Return to “Town Vibe”