MoCo Market--- where should I even put this thread?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 am

monsterface wrote:Also, I take serious issue with markets that don't put prices on their food. Not a thing for sale was tagged with a ticket. Maybe my mother's bargain shopper tendencies have worn off on me (probably not), but I like to know how much something costs before I buy it. Is that just me?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

For a place that prides itself on being so durned cyclist-friendly, it seems odd that there's no bike rack.

I'm hoping that'll be remedied as the building and its landscaping get completed.

Or maybe, along with their dog-friendly concept, they love bikes so much they want us to walk them around in the store as we shop.

monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby monsterface » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:04 am

Ned Flanders wrote:It sounds like you're making my point...
Yes, yes you are making my point.

Ned- You're acting like you had a point. You didn't. You asserted a boring, uninformed generalization. Anyway, I didn't even read your last post, not even when I was reformatting it so that I could quote you.

TBP- I think we visited around the same time, but I want to know where you saw prices on anything. The only $x.xx I saw was on the bagel sign above the deli bar area.

mrak- Where would there be room for cyclists with their bikes in that store? And that would be after they lugged it up the initial flight of stairs?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:09 am

monsterface wrote:mrak- Where would there be room for cyclists with their bikes in that store? And that would be after they lugged it up the initial flight of stairs?

I was joking about that. I do hope a bike rack is part of the plans for finishing the building and its landscaping, though - I wasn't joking about that part.

Given what a point of pride their cyclist-friendly ethos is for them, the absence of a bike rack is pretty glaring. I rode around the back of the building and everything, figuring they had to have one. If they do, they hid it well.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:45 am

monsterface wrote:TBP- I think we visited around the same time, but I want to know where you saw prices on anything. The only $x.xx I saw was on the bagel sign above the deli bar area.

The clerks were applying shelf labels below all the items as we were shopping. Prior to that, there were just white strips of backing paper on the shelf edges. They were lugging around some pretty long sheets of labels, so I'm guessing the process will take a day or two.

purple drapes

Postby purple drapes » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:51 am

One of my friends works at MoCo and he likes it a lot so far. He did tell me that the store has been experiencing some issues out of their control--shipments arriving last minute, shipments not arriving at all, servers crashing, etc. and they've been a little behind because of it. I guess things should be running much more smoothly next week.

According to Bessie's article, the condo association that MoCo is located in nixed the dog idea after the city gave it's ok. That's why dogs aren't allowed inside. I'm not sure about the bike rack--I'll have to ask my MoCo buddy about it.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby Jesse Russell » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 am

mrak wrote:
monsterface wrote:mrak- Where would there be room for cyclists with their bikes in that store? And that would be after they lugged it up the initial flight of stairs?

Given what a point of pride their cyclist-friendly ethos is for them, the absence of a bike rack is pretty glaring. I rode around the back of the building and everything, figuring they had to have one. If they do, they hid it well.

The bike rack is probably up to the condo association, so don't be too quick to judge the store owner. Until then, you could attach your bike to the condo railings. That'll accentuate the need for a bike rack fairly quickly.

slaparat

Postby slaparat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:57 pm

I asked them about the bike racks and they said that they were having some trouble with city approval. The owner had designed a custom bike rack, but apparently the city regulates bike racks and they weren't able to use it. They're in the process of working with the condo association and the city to get it all settled.

Nice place, but I'm not sure how useful it is on a regular basis. Lots of cute stuff and foods and drinks I haven't seen before, but my corner store needs typically include milk, eggs, frozen pizza, and other things like that to hold me over until a big grocery store trip. I can see going back to pick up something special.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:11 pm

slaparat wrote:I asked them about the bike racks and they said that they were having some trouble with city approval. The owner had designed a custom bike rack, but apparently the city regulates bike racks and they weren't able to use it. They're in the process of working with the condo association and the city to get it all settled.

I feel like a bit of a slacker for not asking this myself when I was there yesterday, but people were busy and I'd already found a place to lock up my bike. So, thanks!

slaparat wrote:Nice place, but I'm not sure how useful it is on a regular basis. Lots of cute stuff and foods and drinks I haven't seen before, but my corner store needs typically include milk, eggs, frozen pizza, and other things like that to hold me over until a big grocery store trip. I can see going back to pick up something special.

I actually thought they had a decent balance between fancy (Nueske bacon) and mundane (canned ravioli). I hope it succeeds, but it all feels just a little too oh-so-cool for my comfort.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:27 pm

mrak wrote:I actually thought they had a decent balance between fancy (Nueske bacon) and mundane (canned ravioli). I hope it succeeds, but it all feels just a little too oh-so-cool for my comfort.

Okay, this has to stop. The reason something seems cool? Maybe it's because it IS cool!

Are the employees nice? Are they doing good things for the customers? Do they sell good stuff? Are the prices reasonable? Are the surroundings pleasant? Then what the hell else do you want? Should it look like a rundown shack? Should they yell at you like Ed DeBevic's or Wiener's Circle? Maybe they should sell nothing but canned beets at $7.50 an ounce!

mrak, it's not just you and your comment, but I'm exasperated. You're going to have to bear the brunt. Since when did "cool" come to mean the opposite?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:55 am

I sense I have offended.

So, to make it up to TBP, I shall amend my previous post, replacing the offending phrase with presumably acceptable text taken directly from MoCo Market's home page:

mrak shoulda-oughta wrote:I hope it succeeds, but it all feels just a little too hipster smorgasbord for my comfort.

Let the healing begin. Or, as Smokey said upon marking it zero, "you happy, you crazy fuck?!"

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:02 am

mrak wrote:I sense I have offended.

So, to make it up to TBP, I shall amend my previous post, replacing the offending phrase with presumably acceptable text taken directly from MoCo Market's home page:

mrak shoulda-oughta wrote:I hope it succeeds, but it all feels just a little too hipster smorgasbord for my comfort.

Let the healing begin. Or, as Smokey said upon marking it zero, "you happy, you crazy fuck?!"

It's a league game, Smokey.

monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby monsterface » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:15 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
mrak wrote:I sense I have offended.

It's a league game, Smokey.

Since reading this thread most recently, I've now twice integrated the phrase "marking it zero" into conversation with two different people.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 am

monsterface wrote:Since reading this thread most recently, I've now twice integrated the phrase "marking it zero" into conversation with two different people.

A few years ago, my wife was applying for a job as a graphic artist at the Wisconsin State Bowling Association.

I suggested she write the following Lebowski reference into her cover letter, figuring the person reading it would either get (and enjoy) the joke, or be far too unnerved by it to consider hiring her:

"My work has been commended as strongly vaginal."

She didn't go for it. And she didn't get called in for an interview anyway.

That's a bummer, man.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:50 am

mrak wrote:A few years ago, my wife was applying for a job as a graphic artist at the Wisconsin State Bowling Association.

I suggested she write the following Lebowski reference into her cover letter, figuring the person reading it would either get (and enjoy) the joke, or be far too unnerved by it to consider hiring her:

"My work has been commended as strongly vaginal."

She didn't go for it. And she didn't get called in for an interview anyway.

That's a bummer, man.

How much were they going to pay her? You know, bones, or clams, or whatever you call them.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:56 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
mrak wrote: I hope it succeeds, but it all feels just a little too oh-so-cool for my comfort.

mrak, it's not just you and your comment, but I'm exasperated. You're going to have to bear the brunt. Since when did "cool" come to mean the opposite?

I have to comment on this. I've felt that way about a few places in town (too cool...) in the last couple of years and I can't quite explain it. I don't want to feel that way, this place looks like someplace I would really like and I will get there eventually, but I know I'll get the same feeling as mrak, at least a little, even if I don't want to. I love the recycled materials ethos that they seem to have implemented in the design of the store (I build furniture that way), I love the neighborhood store thing, trying to be dog friendly is great. But there's definitely a chance that the place is going to give me one of two vibes that seem to make me feel the way mrak does. There's the basic "hipster/cooler than you" vibe, that I get at tubb's and nattspiel, and then there's the "we're doing everything absolutely right!" vibe, that this store will probably give me. It's unfortunate and a little vexing, but I will fight it and go in there anyway dammit! My best guess as to why this happens is simple age. I mean.....I've been cool for years! I've had a subscription to Dwell since before you little punks knew what it was (I'm saying all this with a smile BTW), I've been making things and decorating with salvaged materials since the eighties man! But alas, now when I go into the cool new places, I feel like it's a high school party and I'm just that "old dude in the kitchen".

But it looks like a interesting store and everybody should check it out. I'll be there, walking on the cuffs of my pants, cuz ya know, that's how all the kids are wearin em.

Return to “Town Vibe”