Lovin' My Dish Network

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Lovin' My Dish Network

Postby aaron » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:04 pm

Finally dumped cable and had a Dish Network installed.
It is incredible! Before had to record stuff on disc; Dish came with no-charge DVR so can just record my heart out with no muss, no fuss. Best of all, monthly bill for 100 channels is only $29.95. (Well, 49.95 one-time installation fee.)

I urge any of you who are disenchanted with cable to make the switch if you can. You'll love it.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Do you get local channels? What about PBS? My kids gotta have their daily dose of shows on PBS Kids...

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Yep, I get all the local channels, PBS, CNN, Fox, History Channel, Discovery and four months of free HBO. In short, I get just about anything anyone would want...all for $29.95 a month.

TheMilitant

Postby TheMilitant » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:23 am

aaron wrote:Yep, I get all the local channels, PBS, CNN, Fox, History Channel, Discovery and four months of free HBO. In short, I get just about anything anyone would want...all for $29.95 a month.

How much does it cost to have them come out and install and all initially?

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:37 am

They have a special going on right now...free installation (usually $49.95), plus Top 100, plus all local channels, plus 3 months of free HBO, plus DVR...only $29.95 per month. It's a VERY good deal.

(And you can upgrade at any time if you want. I personally belong to Netflix, which I love, so I don't really have any need for the movie channels. You are pretty much at their mercy as far as what they are showing.) But the America's Top 100 has just about everything you'd want...CNN, ESPN, Discovery, History, C-Span, Lifetime, etc. America's Top 200 includes even more, but costs $42.99 per month, which still is a very good deal compared to cable.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:38 am

I considered getting satelite TV last fall. They told me they needed permission to get a credit report before they would do anything. My credit is fine but that creeped me out so I didn't go through with it.

Also, I'd rather have installed it myself but that didn't seem to be an option.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:52 am

The Dish Network website says it is $5.99 for local channels. But you are getting them free??

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:23 am

All I know is, local channels included in $29.95/monthly charge.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:47 am

aaron wrote:All I know is, local channels included in $29.95/monthly charge.

I've got the Gold HD package and I still pay 5.99 extra for the locals even though I can get them free OTA. I'm paranoid.
Sounds like they have a bundle deal going, and it will eventually run out so read the fine print aaron.
Also, you say you got the DVR?
You know that there is usually a 5.99 monthly fee for the DVR? I'm curious if they waved it for the package you got.

Yes, DISH is great. Been with them for 10 years and I've never been disappointed by the service.
My only gripe is that DirectTV has the Setanta Channel, and Dish doesn't, but that's it.

As far as antenna install...they used to give the homeowner do it, but the dish recievers they used have changed over the years and might need a little more technical savvy to set up correctly with a something like the SuperDish with 4 LNBF nodes.

The best source for undbiased info on both Sat major sat providers can be found at www.dbstalk.com.
If you need to research both providers that's the place to do it.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:02 am

I just signed up with Dish Network. Works out to be $15 cheaper a month than what I was paying Charter for a comparable package.

ms.deeds

Postby ms.deeds » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:17 pm

The lovely mrs.deeds and I finally dumped Charter for dish t.v. I would love to turn this into a Charter rant...they were not only completely unable (after three freaking months!) to repair our internet service, they were also unable to repair our cable t.v. service. Some folks warned us against dropping Charter, stating that whenever it rained or snowed or the planets were aligned in an odd way we would lose our dish connection, but we are completely happy. We have lost our connection once, but it was easily remedied by hitting the reset button on our receiver. I highly recommend switching.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:53 pm

what i think i discovered today is that dish network does not offer hd feeds for any of the locals. is that right? if so, that's a deal breaker for me.
and don't talk to me about OTA, taint no such thing in the dudgeon.

primetime

Postby primetime » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:07 pm

I don't know about the Local HD feeds for Dish Network but DirecTV has 3, 15, 47 for sure. They don't have 27 in HD because the owner of the station won't agree to the rebroadcast, none of their owned channels are carried in HD on DirecTV. Sadly no PBS in HD on the dish.

But don't write off over the air reception yet. I get all the local HD channels OTA 3, 15, 21, 27, 47, 57, etc. using 20 year old rabbit ears on one TV and a $40 amplified antenna from Best Buy on the big TV in the basement. Checkout antennaweb.org to see what kind of antenna you may need.

The sub channels on 21 (there are 5 of them) are a nice addition. M

y parents live in the country about 30 miles west of Madison and receive all the Madison HD channels OTA but they use one of the old big roof antennas we used to use to get the regular TV signals from Madison. (no cable available out in the woods.)

Oh don't let people tell you the reception on a dish, either DirecTV or Dishnetwork will go out everythime it rains. If they dish is aimed and mounted properly you will rarely lose your signal and even then it only lasts a few minutes. In 6 years with DirecTV I know I have lost my signal less than 10 times and never for more than about 10 minutes. I don't think I have ever lost it in a snow storm, only during very heavy rain which like I said usually doesn't last long. I know when I had Charter my outages lasted longer and occurred more often.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:51 pm

my neighborhood (monroe dudgeon) is notorious for it's lack of cell phone reception and tv reception. the first few years i lived here i tried to get local channels ota, and it was never anything but frustratingly hit or miss.
i had directv for the first three years i lived here, and it was fine til they stopped letting me get east coast west coast network feeds, then i reluctantly switched to charter.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:34 am

Aaack! I got my dish installed yesterday, only to discover that we aren't getting the local forecast on The Weather Channel. Is there any way to get that? Or are we outta luck?

Return to “Town Vibe”