Can buildings howl?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Can buildings howl?

Postby comte buffon » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Last night I fell asleep (ahem) on the couch and woke up at 5 a.m. There was some v. strange noise. At first I thought I just had my stereo on really loud or something, but with no music playing, so that the electric noise was coming through the speakers. But then, when I turned off the stereo and took the dog out, I realized it was outside. (We live near St. Marys, close to the entrance to the arb.)

It was as if--if buildings could howl--all the apartments around me were howling at the moon. There was some kind of alarm or machinery or siren or something going on... Like maybe St. Mary's had a chemical spill and there was this low-pitched whine of an alarm.

Or it sounded like someone left some monster electronic equipment on high, and we were just
hearing the whirring of the electricity running it.

Or like a hundred people in the distance were leaning on their horns. Or a hundred car alarms were on, but like a mile from where I was.

Hard to explain but v. weird.

I couldn't find anything in the news. Was it perhaps just the drone of our heating systems, etc. only heard when the masses are sleeping? Even the dog noticed it, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't on drugs.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:27 pm

Paging Jack Hawksmoor...

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Good Lord, you know you're in trouble when BobArctor thinks yer nuts. :wink:

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Poor Comte, you never get much feedback around here. If you and Art Paul got together for an afternoon you could probably bring the forum to a standstill.

Maybe madison has it's own Taos hum at 5 in the morning. You sure med-flight wasn't just sitting on the pad idling, or whatever it is choppers do. A neighbor with a 5 hp sex toy?

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:43 pm

So true. Where's universitylad when you need him? Alas, I wear my "forum loser" t-shirt with pride.

Good thought on the 'copter.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:28 pm

Sounds like the acid just kicked in.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Some tall building so make weird noises in the wind. I read an article about this in either Scientific American or The New Scientist. Do a web search and you will find something on this. Or maybe the others are correct.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Madsci wrote:Or maybe the others are correct.

The Others? It's probably just the friendly hum of the sonic barrier guarding the barracks.

cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cute hat » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 pm

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix; Angel-headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection
to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night.

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:07 pm

Thanks, Ginsberg. Yah, I wish. Hard to imagine Bay Creek at the center of a Beat Movement revival.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:58 am

Here's a place to start:

http://amasci.com/hum/hum.html

and here's a discussion group just for you:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/humforum/

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:56 am

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:45 pm

comte buffon wrote:Good Lord, you know you're in trouble when BobArctor thinks yer nuts. :wink:

Geez, thanks. What many people miss is that although I collect lots of odd info, I'm pretty skeptical of anything that isn't proven.

A few years ago, I was at the front gate of a very large rave near Black River Falls, as the security chief. Two deputies came to the gate. They said they usually turn down the musiic, but we had five circus tents going and they "didn't understand" the equipment we were using.

An elderly couple, a few miles away, had called them with an unexplained phenomena report. The bass from the rave had traveled down a creek bed, and was making their dishes buzz and dance.

The oldsters had no idea that 10,000 people were rolling at the campground. They thought is was some real X-File thing.

comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:54 pm

snoqueen wrote:Here's a place to start:

http://amasci.com/hum/hum.html

and here's a discussion group just for you:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/humforum/

Seriously, thanks snoqueen. I now count myself among the world's "hearers."

Unless BobArctor just had a rave.

Return to “Town Vibe”