What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Re: God scammit

Postby ms4denmark » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Leoburt wrote:Can the developer be sued for vandalism because of all the stickers and stencils all over everything? I sure as hell hope so. Take the fine out of their tax-incremental financing.

Uh, you're assuming that this is actually an act of vandalism...I would assume all those places are in the know on this and were fully aware that these promo items were going up. Needless to say, they sure as hell better clean up after themselves, which likely won't happen.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Scope the back cover of this week's Onion.

It is indeed the Steve Brown Apartments thing at University Square.

Leoburt

Postby Leoburt » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:59 pm

ms4denmark wrote:Uh, you're assuming that this is actually an act of vandalism...I would assume all those places are in the know on this and were fully aware that these promo items were going up. Needless to say, they sure as hell better clean up after themselves, which likely won't happen.

Well they put stuff up all over public benches and bus stops, and added the stickers to things that were clearly unrelated to the project. I can't think of any good examples right now, but a lot of their material was semi-permanent stuff on public property. But really I'm just bitter about advertisements invading my space and trying to be all slick about it. I'd much rather it say "Hey, I'm advertising. I think you might be interested in this expensive apartment." As opposed to saying "Hey, come be cool with me, rent an expensive apartment. By the way, we're a cult. A very hip cult. That you should talk about amongst yourselves."

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 pm

juanton wrote:Scope the back cover of this week's Onion.

It is indeed the Steve Brown Apartments thing at University Square.

Here's some further "proof" to that theory.

--------------------
phlogging madison...

Uncle Jimbo
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle Jimbo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:44 pm

I bet it's the new development where University Square was. That's the name of it, so it's probably guerrilla marketing, pretty effective if anyone knew WTF.

Cordially,

Uncle J

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:40 pm

All bets are off, i.e. don't make em. Just pick up an Onion this week. It's no longer a theory, mystery, etc.

Pretty weak marketing attempt I think. My Lucky Life involves nothing close to living on the ole University Square property.

habari
Forum Addict

alright

Postby habari » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Hey, I figured it out first, two days before the onion. I think I deserve some props, no? As in property. Like a free condo. Or some retail space.

Or some money.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Man, how much of a hard-on do those 777 douchebags have considering this thread has grown to 4 pages?

And I just bumped it? Doh!

wesley

Postby wesley » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:04 am

I can't be the only one who wants nothing more than to see the 777 building tagged constantly once it's up.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby Jesse Russell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:35 am

Leoburt wrote:Can the developer be sued for vandalism because of all the stickers and stencils all over everything?

Usually when corprilla's stencil they use a chalk base so it will wash away in the rain. I don't know if anyone else remembers the microsoft stencils all over the sidewalks last year. In the sticker case, I have 27 images in my digital camera of these stickers on ATMs, city property, and on two businesses. However, I'll probably delete them because making a fuss will only be free advertising - like this thread.

That said, I'm rather impressed with the intelligence of the local online community to ignore this drek. Searching technorati and google blog search shows zero blips for seventology. If you hold a viral marketing campaign and only one forum talks about it - does it work?

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 am

Uncle Jimbo wrote:I bet it's the new development where University Square was.

WOW, your deductive ability is pretty amazing...considering the picture in the post prior to your post.

Artful Dodger

Postby Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:53 am

Haven't seen the Onion back yet...

Is it rental property or condos?

Maybe they'll have bingo in the lobby.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:Is it rental property or condos?

At that location what else could it be but overpriced student housing.

llama333

Dumb

Postby llama333 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:11 pm

Screw Steve Brown and these apartments.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:25 pm

Meh. Too bad MPM didn't do anything interesting when they opened 420 W. Gorham.

And yeah, as Jesse had mentioned, they didn't seem to do so hot 'round the blogosphere, just TDPF. But hell, I'm sure they still got a decent amount of direct visitors.

I'd ruled out realtors/developers in my early guesses because I thought I would've caught wind of something through city hall circles. Oh well. I definitely nailed the luckynotlucky.com tie-in, though. Still just kind of curious about who the marketers behind this campaign were.

Return to “Town Vibe”