AWA memories

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:30 am

If you remember Kenny Jay, you must remember Scrap-iron Gadaski.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 am

acereraser wrote:Mad Dog Vachon changing from villain to hero was the dawning of a new age.

It sure was. It was also Maurice Vachon who told a young Jim Raschke that he'd, "make a good German." The rest, as they say, is history.

Sadly, Mad Dog lost a leg after a hit-and-run near his Iowa home in 1987.

Dig these photos on the Baron's website.

Image[/img]

emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby emmy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:11 pm

jammybastard wrote:Remember the "Camel Clutch"?

My faves were his battles against...

Isn't this Geraldo Rivera?

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Paco wrote:Wasn't it "The Ever-capable" Kenny Jaye?? He always lost, but I remember one time he came thru and beat The Baron or someone like that.

I do remember the "Ever-capable" reference too, but I think that was out of respect for his talents of being the patsy, yet always looking like he had a decent chance to somehow pull it out. One factor that separates the old AWA from the successors is that enough of the AWA wrestlers were actual wrestlers, and not body-builders, to give guys like Kenny Jay/e a shot. Of course it was still rigged, but it was more believable the one time out of a hundred that Kenny caught the Baron napping and put a quick pin on him. Nick Bockwinkel was always a jerk, but you had to respect his skillz.

I have a vague memory of the Scrap-iron name, and none at all of the hunting a bear with a switch story, but that doesn't mean much, it was so long ago.

One thing I meant to mention before was how much Gene Okerlund brought to the show. He looked so straight-faced, it was hard to believe he would (or even could) be bullshitting. I can't imagine trying to interview Jesse Ventura and Adrian Adonis (the East-West Connection) at the height of their flamboyancy without laughing, but Gene handled like the pro he was. His catchphrase "Bedlam and Pandemonium" is firmly entered in my family's lexicon.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:54 pm

I was on imdb.com looking up a movie, The Axe, and caught another name right there on the search...Larry 'The Axe' Henning. Completely forgot about the movie. 'The Wrestler'....not sure I ever saw it though....but this must be hilarious now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070930/

Return to “Town Vibe”