Petition against horrific public "art"!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Would you sign my petition to hve the phootball and the toothpaste removed?

Yes, they are ugly and offensive!
100%
Hell no, I love them!
No votes
Maybe they can be fixed?
No votes

Total votes: 4

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Petition against horrific public "art"!

Postby spanky » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:27 pm

Why is downtown public "art" in Madison so incredibly hard on the eyes? Tell me if you would sign a petition officially documenting the uglitude of the Phootball Phallus and Remnant of Colgate, and begging for their removal.

Is there any really successful public art in downtown, the ones I like have been relocated, Aluminum Men and Gay Bench Sitters...

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Petition against horrific public "art"!

Postby jhain » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:36 pm

spanky wrote:Is there any really successful public art in downtown, the ones I like have been relocated, Aluminum Men and Gay Bench Sitters...

You just named the two best and they are gone..... Thanks for the memories.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:37 pm

jhain wrote:
spanky wrote:Is there any really successful public art in downtown, the ones I like have been relocated, Aluminum Men and Gay Bench Sitters...

Alumnum Men are over at Olbrich now aren't they??

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:42 pm

spanky wrote:
jhain wrote:

That's cool. I'm glad they're still around. Where do they sit?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Rainbows and unicorns and ponies and everything...

Postby Marvell » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:33 pm

jhain wrote:
spanky wrote:
jhain wrote:

That's cool. I'm glad they're still around. Where do they sit?

That's a negative.

George Segal called them home; somewhere in Brooklyn, I heard.

Fuck. We were once cooler than Brooklyn - before the Jesus freaks intruded.

Cue musical quote:

"That's just like Jesus..."

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:16 pm

spanky wrote:... Gay Bench Sitters...

Those are now in a little park across the street from Stonewall, which I think is a good place for them (but would still rather have them here). I heard they were moved there because they were repeatedly vandalized here. True?

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:32 pm

small cheese wrote:
spanky wrote:... Gay Bench Sitters...

Those are now in a little park across the street from Stonewall, which I think is a good place for them (but would still rather have them here). I heard they were moved there because they were repeatedly vandalized here. True?

The way I heard it, they were only here on loan till they could be installed in their intended home and were never going to be permanent, but they stayed longer than planned. They were vandalized, both here and at the place where they ended up. I think they were moved once more after that.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:45 pm

The Aluminum Men are at Olbrich Park near where Starkweather Creek goes in to Lake Monona.

I also miss the hanging steel cage sculpture that had colored metal birds inside -- used to hang in the courtyard area between the Tenney Bldg and the Glass Bank.

Wish people were as ambitious to vandalize the Phootballs as they were the Gay Bench Sitters. I used to like it when they'd dress the Bench Sitters for winter, though, giving them scarves and hats on cold days. Maybe the Phootballs need to be dressed too -- but the only thing I can imagine them wearing is a giant condom.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:21 am

snoqueen wrote:I also miss the hanging steel cage sculpture that had colored metal birds inside -- used to hang in the courtyard area between the Tenney Bldg and the Glass Bank.

Isn't or wasn't there a Stick Figure Roof Guy somewhere near there as well? Is that still around?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 am

I hear Guido the manager from Visions has either David Lee Roth or a Van Halen record cover painted on his garage. Anyone seen it and where?

Duncan Hines

Postby Duncan Hines » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:40 am

The George Segal statue "Gay Liberation" was loaned to Madison and installed in Orton Park with money raised by The New Harvest Foundation, a local LGTB philantropic group. They had originally been made for Sheridan Park (across from the Stonewall Bar) in NYC but the gay community there found them offensiive ... "too stereotypical." There were actually two other castings ... one was at Palo Alto, CA but was destroyed and Segal has another in a warehouse.
When the work was installed in Madison, it suddenly received a lot of new attention and the folks in NY (who owned it) decided they wanted it back.
For the record, the sculpture at Camp Randal was commissioned by the University and has nothing to do with the city of Madison (the city of Madison has a public committee -- the Madison Art Commission -- and a public art plan, if any one is interested. The recent installation of the fountains on the square are their doing, as well as the fountain sculpture in front of the water utilities building on Olin Avenue ... and the gates to the Goodman Pool -- all of which have been well received

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:08 pm

spanky wrote:Isn't or wasn't there a Stick Figure Roof Guy somewhere near there as well? Is that still around?

Yup, harder to see now that they put that building in front of it. My favorite work of art in this city.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:02 pm

I keep thinking that the Camp Randall art should be painted yellow to memoralize the importance of corn to the state.

OK, perhaps it would be a diseased corn-cob, but that is what it reminded me of on first seeing it.

That, and the corpse flower bloom.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:19 pm

Okay I was hoping I'd figure out from context, but I give up. What's the toothpaste? I thought it was the football thing but you keep talking about the toothpaste and the football like they were two different things.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:30 pm

The corpse flower. I knew it reminded me of something.... it was that corpse flower. Just needs that green skirt thing around the bottom.

Return to “Town Vibe”