What is up with King Street Lately?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Should Club Majestic be closed or punished?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 42

madisonsummer

What is up with King Street Lately?

Postby madisonsummer » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:24 pm

Just wondering, anyone else out there fed up with King Street at night on the weekends. I am not going to point fingers at a particular club but, why is it needed to use 8 or so city cop cars and about 12 cops to control the street after the bars all let out. I for one don't go down that street anymore at night, I hate it, why should I feel uncomfortable in my neighborhood because people have fights to pick.

So my reason for posting, is to see if anyone else has any concerns or complaints about the events that take place on the street at night on the weekends? Anyone else think that punishment is in order for those creating the disturbance? Let me know! :?

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:52 pm

Last edited by BobArctor on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:37 pm

The individuals that create the disturbance needs to be held accountable. A business is not responsible for what people do outside of their establishment. And on King Street there is a large crowd that hangs out in the parking lot next to Opus. These people don't go into any of the bars there. They sit in the parking lot, get drunk and wait to cause trouble.

The major problem on King Street is that the police do not enforce laws. If you're drinking in a parking lot, you should be cited. If you start a fight, you should be arrested. It's that simple. But since the police don't enforce the law, the law is effectively meaningless. The police have "trained" the crowd on King Street very well. The crowd knows that the police will do nothing and that even when the flashing lights turn on no one will get in trouble.

It's amazing that there's a history of problems on King Street, but not a history of arrests. If you want to hold someone accountable, first blame the individuals, then blame the police for not addressing a well known problem.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Worth noting that hot nights such as we've been having are known as high-risk for street disorder. Tonight, a Saturday, could be another one. Stay safe, whatever your line of work/choice of entertainment venue.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:24 pm

They should turn King Street into a ped mall after 8 on weekends. The masses of people are difficult enough but then there are those folks who think its necessary to drive through the throng, making everything worse.
I like to pick up folks in my cab from everywhere but I find myself avoiding that area on busy nights because its such a mess

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:44 pm

meowzamusic wrote:They should turn King Street into a ped mall after 8 on weekends. The masses of people are difficult enough but then there are those folks who think its necessary to drive through the throng, making everything worse.
I like to pick up folks in my cab from everywhere but I find myself avoiding that area on busy nights because its such a mess
I think that's a great idea. It might be hard to implement though. They'd probably need to keep the intersection from E Main to E Pinckney open. It would annoy the businesses on the 100 block of E Main if their customers couldn't get out of those parking spots. They could probably close King Street from the Isthmus building down the block to Madison's. Most importantly, the King Street entrance to the parking lot next to Opus should be blocked off. Leave the entrance at S Webster open though. But the police should be enforcing the permit parking there vigorously. Or if the lot owner chooses, they could just close the lot at night. That would be great. There's a lot of problems that start there. Too much open space for people to congregate.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:58 am

Last edited by BobArctor on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:33 am

What I don't get is why people are voting for the Majestic to be closed or punished. If it's the people who can't get in who are the problem, is it really the Majestic's responsibility to do something more than call the police when those people loiter and cause trouble off of their property?

I agree that the police should be busting those people causing trouble in nearby area.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:25 am

ms4denmark wrote:What I don't get is why people are voting for the Majestic to be closed or punished. If it's the people who can't get in who are the problem, is it really the Majestic's responsibility to do something more than call the police when those people loiter and cause trouble off of their property?

I agree that the police should be busting those people causing trouble in nearby area.
You really don't need to call the police. If you look down the block or around the corner you can see a squad hiding in the shadows. One of their favorite parking spots is the 200 block sidewalk next to the government building. It's really not a matter of the police not knowing what's going on. They're just not doing anything about what's going on. Has someone tied their hands? Has the city ordered them to avoid making "minority arrests"?

It may not be PC, but there are some minorities frequently on King Street that should be arrested. Those few troublemakers are giving the entire crowd a bad name. As far as many people are concerned, everyone down there are gang bangers and thugs.

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:43 am

dogmeat wrote:It may not be PC, but there are some minorities frequently on King Street that should be arrested. Those few troublemakers are giving the entire crowd a bad name. As far as many people are concerned, everyone down there are gang bangers and thugs.

I think the race of the people really doesn't matter. If people are breaking the law, they should be ticketed or arrested...period. When I lived on State, many a night while walking home from working at the Union there would be frat boys fighting outside of the KK. I equally thought those douchebags deserved being arrested, too.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Last edited by BobArctor on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:50 pm

I agree with BobArctor. Those people are just trouble and they need to be ran out of town.

Can't we pass a law to stop hip-hop?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! There is freedom of speech, but you can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theatre because that is dangerous. Look at all the violence that goes along with hippity-hoppity music. That proves it is dangerous and needs to be banned.

We regulate everything else that happens inside a club, so why can't we regulate the music? Or should we just get rid of all health codes and let bars do whatever they want to do!?!?!?!?!??!

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:18 pm

Last edited by BobArctor on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

madisonsummer

Postby madisonsummer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:50 pm

ms4denmark wrote:What I don't get is why people are voting for the Majestic to be closed or punished. If it's the people who can't get in who are the problem, is it really the Majestic's responsibility to do something more than call the police when those people loiter and cause trouble off of their property?

I put the vote up to see the response of all people's views on if they feel it is needed to close or punish due to the problems on the street. I do feel that the bar/club is responsible because the the bar chooses the drink specials, the music, the events, and the crowd attracted. If the bar just opened and was just a bar, do you think it would be the same result. NO! To quote a old saying, "If you build it they will come!" I think that some of the issues are the patrons fault, but keep in mind the bar brought them there with advertising, and got them drunk beyond reasonable limits, and then released them onto the street to "play".

As far as the police, what are they supposed to do, start hitting people and spraying people, so they act back and it becomes a bigger riot? They stand by waiting for the patrons to get the point that the street is not an After Bar and they should go home! Another point, I do believe Club Majestic got permission to renew there license with the stipulation that their own security must keep the peace! I walked by many nights and the security is just standing there talking to people almost as if they were protecting the club but not giving any care about the actions in the street, even though they put them there. I am glad I am not the only concerned citizen about this, but I just wish that people would realize that this isn't about race or who is going there, it is about a club that can't control the crowd that they get drunk, may they do it intentionally or not.

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:22 pm

madisonsummer wrote:I do feel that the bar/club is responsible because the the bar chooses the drink specials, the music, the events, and the crowd attracted. To quote a old saying, "If you build it they will come!" I think that some of the issues are the patrons fault, but keep in mind the bar brought them there with advertising, and got them drunk beyond reasonable limits, and then released them onto the street to "play".

With the drink special issue, I wholely agree that if the Majestic is overserving its customers, something needs to be done. It is against the law to serve a drunk person, though every bar in this city is guilty of that (in fact, there's plenty of times the bartenders are so drunk themselves that they wouldn't even be albe to tell if you were one drink away from dying). What I don't agree with, though, is the notion that shutting down the Majestic will somehow solve the problem. Yeah, it will move it away from King Street, but where will the next place be? What does that solve?

madisonsummer wrote:As far as the police, what are they supposed to do, start hitting people and spraying people, so they act back and it becomes a bigger riot?

No. They need to ticket people who violate the law and arrest people who commit an arrestable offense. Standing around and "waiting for the patrons to get the point that the street is not an After Bar and they should go home" doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Return to “Town Vibe”