Property owners: How do you handle the dandel?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

How do you tame the dreaded dandelion?

Leave 'em be. I think they're purdy.
41%
Pull 'em by hand. It builds muscles, son!
19%
Some sort of nature-friendly method and/or folk remedy. (please explain)
11%
Weed and/or feed. Chemicals, that is.
11%
Shit, I'd spread fissile nuclear material on my lawn if they'd let me. They hate our lawns!
4%
I share a truce with the dandelions and beat-out my aggressions on my greens-snooping neighbor.
15%

Total votes: 27

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 03, 2006 12:29 pm

tibor wrote:Creeping Charlie is the devil.

Yes, yes it is. I wish we could just declare it the new American lawn cover already and get on with more pressing domestic issues.

Ortho makes an herbicide that is supposed to be creeping-c-specific, but christ only knows what's in it. I think it's also rated to get rid of a few other nasty weeds as well.

For large areas, the garden torch takes the creep out of it nicely, though what will take its place is anyone's guess, unless you're one of those goobers who actually buys grass seed.

Seriously, everyone needs a weed torch. That and fire insurance.

Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Property owners: How do you handle the dandel?

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed May 03, 2006 12:36 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:What to do?

I have a three-year old who picks about 30 a day. At any given moment we have half-dozen plastic cups with wilting dandelions gracing our table and counters. They grow faster than she can pick'em, she picks'em faster than we can throw them away - it's a riot.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed May 03, 2006 1:32 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:

Yes, yes it is. I wish we could just declare it the new American lawn cover already and get on with more pressing domestic issues.

I've given creeping charlie and most other weeds (I dig out the thistle and brudock by hand) full reign of my yard and sometimes during dry mid summer I don't have to cut my grass for weeks.

I'm sure my chem-lawn neighbors don't like it, but I don't like the fact that they are polluting MY water table and would not be afraid to tell them so if they ever said a word to me about my yard.

And to all you chem lawn dog owners, it is not just myth. About a month or 2 after my parents started having their lawn professionally sprayed, our 7/8 yr old (picture of health) spring spaniel started developing bumps all over. Less than a year later our family dog was dead. Likely has similar effects on small children.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed May 03, 2006 1:36 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:

Alternatively, we could genetically engineer creeping charlie so that it had the tensile strength of carbon steel.

Then, one pull and it would all come out and we could use it to bind our recycling.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed May 03, 2006 5:56 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote:

Alternatively, we could genetically engineer creeping charlie so that it had the tensile strength of carbon steel.

Then, one pull and it would all come out and we could use it to bind our recycling.

We could run our cars on it.

I have already managed to genetically engineer creeping charlie so it grows to exactly 1/16 inches below my mower blade.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 03, 2006 6:12 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:

It's all in the name. Creeping Charlie sounds, well, creepy.

Got to use its other handle, Ground Ivy.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed May 03, 2006 6:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote:

It's all in the name. Creeping Charlie sounds, well, creepy.

Got to use its other handle, Ground Ivy.

Nah, reminds me of Ivy League.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu May 04, 2006 8:39 am

Madcity Expat wrote:

I have a three-year old who picks about 30 a day. At any given moment we have half-dozen plastic cups with wilting dandelions gracing our table and counters. They grow faster than she can pick'em, she picks'em faster than we can throw them away - it's a riot.

Hahahaha. You're not the only one ... we went through exactly the same dynamic in our household. Plus, for some reason, the dandelions and violets had to be kept in separate cups.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu May 04, 2006 9:13 am

WestSideYuppie wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote:

We could run our cars on it.

It is in the mint family. I wonder how it ferments?

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu May 04, 2006 12:26 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Madcity Expat wrote:

Hahahaha. You're not the only one ... we went through exactly the same dynamic in our household. Plus, for some reason, the dandelions and violets had to be kept in separate cups.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

This is a good opportunity for some education on design and color...show her a color wheel, and explain how colors that are directly opposite each other on it (complementary colors) will make each other appear the most bright and beautiful when placed together. Yellow and purple were made for each other.
Go Purgolders!
:lol:

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu May 04, 2006 1:32 pm

I have mentioned this before.

My neighbor(the dickhead one) sprayed roundup on my side of the fence line 2 years ago to stop my lawn from contaminating his. I have 3 Huskies who love to take trails to their favorite spot in the lawn instead of running over the open grass. When the roundup killed the grass about a foot and a half from my fence line, the new dead grass path became dog transit central. I worried and worried about my dogs licking their paws. Luckily they have been OK.

I hate my neighbor and wish nothing less than a fiery death(his) at the next Nascar race he attends. When I confronted him about the roundup he said he called his lawyer and that the lawyer said it was OK to do. I'm thinking that his lawyer got their degree from Phoenix University.

Back on topic, I let the dandelions flourish. I admit the creeping charlie ain't that cool to look at everyday, but it sure is fun watching it slowly head towards my neighbor's putting green.

Fuck fertilizer. There's a reason our lakes stink.

The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Big Cheese » Thu May 04, 2006 1:40 pm

It is in the mint family.

That explains the smell! Often when I'm pulling out Creeping Charlie, I get a whiff of mint. It doesn't tend to hold up when you crush it and smell it directly -- a plain green planty smell seems to overwhelm the mint.

Anyway, interesting.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Fri May 05, 2006 9:37 am

We are out in the country and a half mile back from the road so what our "lawn" looks like is quite up to us. I get a giggle when my husband obsesses once in a while that the "grass is getting too long". I am usually compelled to point out, "Who gives a flying F___? No one can see it!".

I'm feeling discouraged though after seeing the various battles with burdock. I am going to tackle those this weekend by way of taking a break from pulling up garlic mustard :evil: - that shit is EVERYwhere! Since we have a couple of shelties & numerous cats, I tire of pulling the burrs out of coats. And with the dogs, it can be a while before I find them; by which point, the burrs are tightly tangled into the coat. My dogs can look rather patchy by mid-summer because I just cut 'em out rather than tug on a comb. However, it sounds like serious digging is what I will have to do to get at the burdock roots. I'm guessing from reading this post that they won't pull up easily like the garlic mustard. And of course the garlic mustard only pulls up easily from damp ground. Once the ground dries out, the stems snap off from the root right at ground level.

I need to keep reminding myself, "I don't like yard work, I don't like yard work". Have no idea why I've gotten into fighting with garlic mustard & burdock this year :shock:

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Fri May 05, 2006 9:44 am

bleurose wrote:I need to keep reminding myself, "I don't like yard work, I don't like yard work". Have no idea why I've gotten into fighting with garlic mustard & burdock this year :shock:

Well, the garlic mustard is your own conscience working. We're even ripping that stuff out of our neighbor's yard because he's got a few allergies.

As for the burdock, I seem to remember a time when a yard's purpose was a place to hang out around your house, a place tamer than the woods. A little seedy maybe, but you could still run after a ball or set up some chairs on nice days.

Burdock does not suit that purpose. :-)

AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Fri May 05, 2006 9:59 am

I dug up roughly 20 of the stupid burdock plants. I haven't been out in the yard yet this morning, it's too cold and I haven't had enough coffee, but if that stuff is back, I'm going to have a controlled burn. Maybe that will kill it.

Return to “Town Vibe”