madcitybroadband?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Will you be switching to the new citywide WIFI?

Yes
13%
No
38%
Depends on price
50%

Total votes: 8

Gin&Trombones
Location: Somewhere near Latitude: 43.061546 Longitude: -89.400243

madcitybroadband?

Postby Gin&Trombones » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 pm

So, it appears that the first access point for city wide WIFI is up and running downtown. I believe that I read the first tower has been installed on top of the Y on the square.

I also remember reading that there would be free access for a while until the billing infastructure for the system is up and running. So....being the cheap bastard that I am, I decided to check it out.

I have been able to regularly view and access the "madcitybroadband" (whoever came up with that network name must be a poet..."0" for creativity and "0" for originality) wireless network from the 100 block of W Wilson, but the signal is low and quite sporadic.

Incidentally, no info is available on madcitybroadband.net or .org

Any one else have any details or experience with the network? I know the system is in its infancy, so signal strength is limited, but I think the offer of "free" access is misleading.

I checked the Network Connection Details and found that currently a 10 minute lease is given, meaning you will be disconnected every 10 minutes and need to reconnect. That appears to be the main culprit of the sporadicness of the connection.

Anyway, I am glad to see this plan progressing, and I assume once more of the network is installed, things will smooth out. I guess my hope that I could tell Charter to kiss off will have to be delayed for a few...

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:16 pm

Gin&Trombones
Location: Somewhere near Latitude: 43.061546 Longitude: -89.400243

Thanks

Postby Gin&Trombones » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 pm

JJoyce,

Thanks for the additional info.

I guess I was not the only one interested in taking the "free" WIFI for a test drive!

much obliged...

Return to “Town Vibe”