Quitting Smoking

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Is it really worth it to quit smoking?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:42 pm

Yes, think of your long term health.
73%
No, satisfy your current craving. Live for today.
18%
Just change what you smoke!
9%

Total votes: 22

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:00 pm

You're only an alcoholic when you quit drinking. . . .

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:29 am

Dulouz wrote:You're only an alcoholic when you quit drinking. . . .

I could never be an alcoholic. Going to all of those meetings would cut into my drinking time way too much.

Digger

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:25 pm

Maybe I should try those Eclipse Ciggs. Then quit.

http://www.eclipse.rjrt.com/RJR/dtc_cer ... eeves=true

Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quitting Smoking

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:07 pm

Digger wrote:Quitting Smoking sucks. It has been one week and I am going insane.

In the spirit of the recent smoking ban I have decided to stop smoking. Does anyone have any tips on how to ease the NEED TO SMOKE I am feeling?

The first couple of weeks, when the nicotine addiction is still working itself out, there's not much you can do, except tough it out (and avoid your friends who smoke). After a couple of weeks, it's more mental than physical. At that point the key is distraction, distraction, distraction! When a smoke pops in your head, change up whatever you're doing. Leave the house, go for a walk, make some food, have sex with your girl/boy friend/spouse, take a shower... you get the picture. But whatever you do - do not just sit there and keep thinking about smokes. Eventually it'll get easier and easier to distract yourself.

That's the good news - the bad news is that you will never completely stop thinking about smokes.

Important thing to remember is that it takes most folks several or even many failed attempts before it takes (sure did me). If you fall off the wagon, it doesn't mean that you can't do it... just try again when you've got it in you. Eventually it'll stick.

I've quite many times for a couple of weeks here, a couple of months there. Finally quit (mostly) for good about a year and a half ago. (had two short relapses, last Aug and just last May, but I'm hanging in there...)

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:20 pm

Try chewing, it's a great nicotine filler and much easier to quit in the long run. Just don't do it in a bar in Madison, a bartender may get lip cancer.

stomper
Forum Addict

Postby stomper » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:35 pm

Smoke free for more than 10 years now. Here's how:

- switched from camels to drum to american spirit. First get unhooked from all the extra crap. I was actually craving a camel for a while.
- picked a date to quit
- bought a can of Tops
- rolled about 20 cigs from it
- smoked them til I nearly puked.

This is called aquired taste aversion therapy, and it worked amazingly well -- helped me get through the initial withrdrawl especially. To understand how it works, I'm sure you have a brand of liquor you can no longer drink (for me it's vodka that comes in a plastic bottle, and just about any burbon).

Also, remember it takes an average of SEVEN attempts to quit! Never quit quitting!

Finally, a nicotine fit lasts about 3 minutes. If you can wait that long, it'll probably go away. The problem is, in the beginning, those three minute fits tend to overlap.

Take up running or some other aerobic sport, where you can really feel the difference a few weeks w/o smoke makes.

Good luck!

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:41 pm

Stomper, that's how my dad quit, too. He would get the craving, and then tell himself he could have one, but in ten minutes. After the ten minutes had gone by, he would usually forget he had wanted one, and had moved on to other things.

citizen
Forum Addict

Postby citizen » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:33 am

stomper wrote:Smoke free for more than 10 years now. Here's how:

- switched from camels to drum to american spirit. First get unhooked from all the extra crap.

I've suggested this to several people who wanted to quit and it really works. It's amazing how addictive the non-tobacco crap in most cigarettes is. Success as an occasional smoker is much easier with pouch tobacco and Spirits.

ivanmarsh

Postby ivanmarsh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:03 pm

Digger wrote:Quitting Smoking sucks. It has been one week and I am going insane.

In the spirit of the recent smoking ban I have decided to stop smoking. Does anyone have any tips on how to ease the NEED TO SMOKE I am feeling?

The spirit of the smoking ban is hypocrisy... second-hand smoke is NOT a significant health risk (go check the CDC).

You can have my smokes when you pry them from my cold dead hand... and yes, I do realize the irony in that statement.

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:04 pm

ivanmarsh wrote:

The spirit of the smoking ban is hypocrisy... second-hand smoke is NOT a significant health risk (go check the CDC).

You can have my smokes when you pry them from my cold dead hand... and yes, I do realize the irony in that statement.

ahem...that's cold dead lips.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:29 pm

ivanmarsh wrote:

So CarolASThompson finally has a protoge? In post #1 we have hyperbole, delusion, hypocrisy, and irony (although not the irony he points out). Brilliant!! So ivan, what part of Montana are you from and what's your favorite type of explosive?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:19 pm

ivanmarsh wrote:The spirit of the smoking ban is hypocrisy... second-hand smoke is NOT a significant health risk (go check the CDC).

I just did and the CDC contradicts your statement.
An estimated 3,000 lung cancer deaths and more than 35,000 coronary heart disease deaths occur annually among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke.

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:36 am

Its easy to quit if you're cheap. I quit smoking when I always had said I would: when Winston's were $4 at Pinkus Mcbride. I had that 1 pack left and I bought a box of patches. I didn't finish the pack, and I used all the patches (because they give you very vivid dreams). I had no problem quitting, it was easy. I will never need a cigarrette again.

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:09 pm

citizen wrote:I've suggested this to several people who wanted to quit and it really works. It's amazing how addictive the non-tobacco crap in most cigarettes is. Success as an occasional smoker is much easier with pouch tobacco and Spirits.

I'm not sure that smokers will benefit by reading this, but...

Consider what addiction is more carefully. Your body cannot sense nicotine directly! You do something, and the drug gets to your brain and lights up the reward center. So there are people addicted to one brand of cigarettes or another. There are people who think they only smoke cigarettes at bars - so that's what they do - because going to the bar is interpreted as a major part of what leads to the reward-fix. The American Indians originally used nicotine in this way, to addict people to their religious ceremonies. They didn't think of the nicotine as a drug, but simply as one phase in the ritual, and so to get the fix you do the ritual! It is my suspicion - could use some feedback - that the people standing outside buildings in the cold soon become addicted to this aspect of their behavior as well, and that one reason why such bans have been tolerated is that they become conditioned not to resent it.

So it follows that by getting nicotine fixes in other ways than the usual, smokers disrupt their conditioning to some degree. But what I'm really interested to see is what happens when the genetically engineered nicotine-free tobacco hits the market. My guess is that if smokers use cigarettes that look and smell and taste like the ones they're addicted to, but without nicotine, that they will rapidly lose their addiction, but it's possible that just knowing it's not a 'real' cigarette will be enough to preserve the original conditioning. A most fascinating experiment!

Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Mike S. wrote:
citizen wrote:I've suggested this to several people who wanted to quit and it really works. It's amazing how addictive the non-tobacco crap in most cigarettes is. Success as an occasional smoker is much easier with pouch tobacco and Spirits.

It is my suspicion - could use some feedback - that the people standing outside buildings in the cold soon become addicted to this aspect of their behavior as well, and that one reason why such bans have been tolerated is that they become conditioned not to resent it.

Ummm, this just makes no sense. See, the "other stuff" in cigarettes are chemicals designed to enhance the effect of nicotine that are inhaled and affect the nervous system.
Frankly I have never heard of a person becoming addicted to "Standing outside."

Return to “Town Vibe”