Quitting Smoking

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Is it really worth it to quit smoking?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:42 pm

Yes, think of your long term health.
73%
No, satisfy your current craving. Live for today.
18%
Just change what you smoke!
9%

Total votes: 22

Digger

Quitting Smoking

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:42 pm

Quitting Smoking sucks. It has been one week and I am going insane.

In the spirit of the recent smoking ban I have decided to stop smoking. Does anyone have any tips on how to ease the NEED TO SMOKE I am feeling?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quitting Smoking

Postby juanton » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:45 pm

Digger wrote:Quitting Smoking sucks. It has been one week and I am going insane.

In the spirit of the recent smoking ban I have decided to stop smoking. Does anyone have any tips on how to ease the NEED TO SMOKE I am feeling?

I made it 4 days, then I smoked a ton last Thursday night. I'll probably try to quit quitting tonight when I go to happy hour.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:18 pm

None since March 30th. No relapses, unless you count dreams where I smoke cigarettes, and then think "Crap now I have to start all over again". Have had at least 3 of those dreams hehe.

My solution was willpower. I refuse to allow addiction to control me, regardless of the lost sleep I suffered, the shaking, the nervousness, the sweating, the headaches, etc... I knew it wouldn't be easy, and it wasn't. Can't really pretend there is an easy way to do it and still succeed I don't think. It is what it is. It's hard, and it's worth it. I refused to subsitute smoking with something else. The habit is part of the addiction.

There were other methods I used leading up to the quitting, including a good 6 months of gradual decreasing the number of smokes per day, and refusing to smoke during the times I most felt like smoking (after meals, in the car, right before and after work, right when I get up in the morning, etc). First I did that to destroy as much of the habit as much as I could before the actual quitting, and then I finished off the rest cold turkey.

You just have to want it bad enough. Either put up with it, conquer it, and take back control of your body, or let the smoking control you. Not real sure anyone else's reasons are going to help you though. Figure out why you really want to quit, and think of that every time you get the urge.

After a little over 3 months I can tell you it gets easier, but it's never over. I still have to think of my reasons to prevent me from having "just one" every now and then. It won't ever be over, I'll always be addicted, and I think you have to know that to keep from getting sucked back in. Seen it happen many times.

For me, it was just wanting it bad enough and having good motivators (my new nieces and nephews). I'm not going to be sitting in a hospital dying when they're graduation high school. Not from something as lame as cigarettes anyway. Maybe from a snapped bungie cord or something.

zelda
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:30 pm

Here's a sure-fire way to stop smoking. Wait for winter, take a 12-hour cross country trip in your car, with the windows rolled up, with a chainsmoker. Worked for me. Was an off and on quitter for a year or so before the road trip. Stopped me cold 15 years ago and I haven't looked back.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:39 pm

The only selfish reason I am for the ban is that I hope it will allow me to quit or cut way the hell back, not that I am a heavy smoker. So far only three nails in the coffin in the last couple weeks. Booze is my enemy when it comes to nicotine willpower.
I don't know if the model of having too quit cold turkey is the best anyway. Sometimes torturing yourself like that adds too much stress and as long as you don't totally relapse to a pack a day I don't think it is a big deal. I think if you can cut yourself back to a couple smokes a week the health effects are fairly negligible or no worse than that big coal fired power plant a three blocks from my apartment. The only downside to this is that then you tend to bum smokes from your friends as Juanton, Mr. Against and P-Ray could all attest to in my case.

Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:56 pm

Beer Moon wrote:None since March 30th. No relapses, unless you count dreams where I smoke cigarettes, and then think "Crap now I have to start all over again". Have had at least 3 of those dreams hehe.

I've had those dreams. But then I had dreams about smoking BEFORE I had ever actually smoked. (Oral Fixation? :oops:)

I quit most recently two months ago. Probably I'm really just taking a break and will restart again. I guess it would be better if I would quit for good. People say, if I can quit for a few months, why can't I make it stick? Cause I miss it. Oh GOD do I miss it. I can't watch old movies cause watching Bogart smoke is torture.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:06 pm

I joined the UW Smoking Cessation Study. They're still looking for volunteers. You actually make a little money for taking the physicals, but they have to be done during business hours. Some at the Monroe St location, some at the UW Hospital, and they take a few hours each. Three year commitment. Next visit I find out what form of meds they're giving me and choosing a quit date. They've asked that I not change my smoking habits until the quit date. :-)

I've quit several times. Maybe with the counseling sessions and whatall, this one will take.

popping hotdog

Postby popping hotdog » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:11 pm

I found that it really helps to have a "quitting buddy", just to keep in check with each other, and offer morale when times are really tough. It also helped just quit going out to the bars, but now I guess it really shouldn't be a problem now. My partner and I have been smoke-free for pert near four years now.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:03 pm

I'm smoke-free since 8/3/2002. Before I quit I read an American Lung Association pamphlet that said to set a date, then stick to it. That's what I did.

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:08 pm

You guys are a bunch of fucking quitters.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:23 pm

Mr. Blues wrote:You guys are a bunch of fucking quitters.

I have NOT and do not intend to quit fucking.

Digger

Postby Digger » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 am

Shit.. I screwed it up already. I had a few ciggs last weekend during a work party. Few drinks, thats all it took.
I have not had a cigg since but I am really disappointed in myself.

:roll:

QUITING SUCKS

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Do what I did:
drop a very large amount of very clean LSD and wait until you can smell colors.
Then take a nice big puff on a fag.
Then try a bong hit.
Compare.
I quit cold turkey from 5 years of chainsmoking just because through the magnified reality of acid I realized I was hitting myself in the head with an ice pick by smoking.
Pot passed the acid test.
I don't think they sell LSD patches at Walgreen's but maybe at Shopko.

JackClubb
Forum Addict

Postby JackClubb » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:48 pm

:shock:
Last edited by JackClubb on Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:32 pm

I once conjured up Jim Morrison's ghost during an acid trip.

Return to “Town Vibe”