Kelda Helen Roys for governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Paleo2
Forum Addict

Re: Kelda Helen Roys for governor

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 am

There is a difference between someone who is currently a state representative and someone who used to be 6 years before the election, and lost in a congressional race.

What I would consider a big name would be:

A US senator or congressman
Mayor of one of the largest cities in Wisconsin
State AG
A prominent state senator or a VERY prominent state representative would be pushing it.

So, let's narrow it down to see how many big names there are in the Democratic Party in Wisconsin, and which of them could or should run:

1. Russ Feingold -- Been out of office 8 years by election time, lost the last 2 elections, and tended to win rather narrowly when he DID win. A big name, but he would have a difficult time winning. Seems not to have any interest in the job, either.

2. Herbert Kohl. -- Retired. Doesn't seem to have any interest in running. He could win, if he really wanted to.

3. Tammy Baldwin -- She would be a great candidate. Fantastic campaigner. Doubtful she would want to give up her US Senate seat for the governorship, esp. since her chances of beating whomever the GOP throws her way are better than unseating an incumbent governor.

4. Tom Barrett. -- Two time loser. Forget it.

5. Paul Soglin -- Er, no. Doesn't seem to have any appeal outside of Madison.

6. Mark Pocan -- Seems to have some health issues. Probably not a great candidate. Very closely tied to Madison. That is OK for Tammy Baldwin, but Tammy Baldwin is healthy and a fantastic campaigner. I doubt he would want to give up an extremely safe gerrymandered seat for a crap shoot.

7. Gwen Moore -- Too closely tied to Milwaukee. I doubt she could win, and she has an extremely safe gerrymandered seat.

8. Ron Kind -- The ONLY current Congressman NOT tied to Madison nor Milwaukee. He would have a great chance of winning, but seems to prefer his safe seat.

9. K. Vinehout -- Pushing it a lot when it comes to big names. NOT nerly as big a name as the first 8. Only advantage is she's the biggest name running. Sort of like being the tallest of the Seven Dwarves.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 pm

That's all well and good but I'm still here wondering what the difference is between management and leadership.

This is something I need to know or I can't function in today's political climate. And Comrade doesn't want me functioning, so he's not telling me.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Cadfael wrote:That's all well and good but I'm still here wondering what the difference is between management and leadership.

Management consists of controlling a group or a set of entities to accomplish a goal. Leadership refers to an individual's ability to influence, motivate, and enable others to contribute toward organizational success. Influence and inspiration separate leaders from managers, not power and control

http://bfy.tw/FW6v

If those words still leave you confused and befuddled, then perhaps a picture would suit you better.

This is something I need to know or I can't function in today's political climate.

I agree that it's a lack of knowledge (wisdom?) which is holding you back in getting your agenda pushed through, but not knowing the difference between those two words isn't the main reason you & yours are no longer effective when it comes to political changes.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Perhaps you can take your classic textbook definition and apply it to Gargantua's post, explaining why Comrade thought that it proved that Gargantua didn't understand the difference. I find nothing at all in your post that connects Comrade's response to Gargantua's post. Therefore, Comrade is the only one who can answer my question. And he's bein' real quiet about that.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Ha! If not answering questions means that the other side is unable to function then that would mean jonnygothisgozer and Henry Vilas would have taken down the entire GOP all by themselves by now.

As I said earlier, don't think it's his fault that you are able to effectively function in today's political climate...afterall, you've been behaving as such long before Comrade even made his original comment.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am

Thank you for your attempt but your definition fits the one I already had, and makes no sense when applied to Comrade's post.

So okay, if he doesn't want to answer, he doesn't have to. Hiding behind your skirts is fine.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:09 am

Cadfael wrote:Hiding behind your skirts is fine.

Dog whistle alert

Cadfael wrote:..makes no sense...

You really should say make it clear that is your opinion, rather than a provable fact. Or at least so I was told....odds are that you aren't held to the same kind of rules.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:42 am

Paleo2 wrote:5. Paul Soglin -- Er, no. Doesn't seem to have any appeal outside of Madison.

What polling data do you base that statement on?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 am

Stu Levitan wrote:What polling data do you base that statement on?

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Paleo2
Forum Addict

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:40 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:5. Paul Soglin -- Er, no. Doesn't seem to have any appeal outside of Madison.

What polling data do you base that statement on?

The only polls that matter are the ones in the voting booths. Paul Soglin ran for Congress in 1996, didn't do very well outside of Madison.

One can imagine if Soglin got the Democratic nomination. Any bets on whether the GOP would run ads showing Soglin with Castro?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 am

Welcome back, Stu.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am

I think it'd be great if Soglin runs. Hes not a pushover, and would at the very least take the bogus blame off of Madison for the Walker economy by pointing out that Madison subsidizes the rest of the state and where the job growth in Wisconsin really comes from.

Comrade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:49 pm

My silence was simply because I'm not on here daily.

Leadership is the direction you want to take things. Management is how you achieve it. Those are two very different things.

I'm honestly surprised and disappointed that these things aren't understood.

Comrade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:53 pm

I still don't see any website for her that offers any reason why she wants the position and the direction she wants to take the state.

Honestly, those are just basic fundamental questions. That's not unreasonable to ask them.

Comrade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Comrade wrote:My silence was simply because I'm not on here daily.

Leadership is the direction you want to take things. Management is how you achieve it. Those are two very different things.

I know that's an oversimplification and not entirely accurate. Eisenhower said (paraphrasing) "Leadership is getting people to do what you want them to do without them realizing you want it."

Therefore, you can extrapolate management is HOW you achieve that stated goal defined by a leader.

Being President or Governor is a leadership position. Being a high school principal is a management position.

Those two things are separate and distinct although a good leader also knows how to manage.

I'm honestly surprised and disappointed that these things aren't understood.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”