Here's one way to solve underage drinking

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Here's one way to solve underage drinking

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Make 'em legal!

Bill would lower drinking age in state to 19

Think of the money we'd save!

The bill sponsors say that at age 19 "there are very few things that you cannot do," but drinking is one of them.

They say lowering the drinking age would negate the need to spend "countless hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars" enforcing drinking laws, especially on college campuses.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Here's one way to solve underage drinking

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm

The proposal unveiled Wednesday calls for lowering the drinking age from the current minimum of 21 only if Wisconsin would not lose its federal highway funds. A federal law passed in 1984 penalized states with a reduction in federal highway money if they didn't have a minimum drinking age of 21.

That's a big if.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
They say lowering the drinking age would negate the need to spend "countless hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars" enforcing drinking laws, especially on college campuses.

Instead we'll spend those dollars enforcing drunk laws. And even more money for the inevitable increase in drunk driving crashes.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:10 pm

If Wisconsin would only legalize and tax pot, then any loss in federal highway funds by lowering the drinking age would be more than mitigated.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 pm

DCB wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:

Instead we'll spend those dollars enforcing drunk laws. And even more money for the inevitable increase in drunk driving crashes.

That may be true if you believe that the 21-year-old drinking age prevents underage drinking. I don't. I remember what my peers and I were like at that age. In fact prohibition made getting hammered even more appealing.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:47 pm

gargantua wrote:
DCB wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:

That may be true if you believe that the 21-year-old drinking age prevents underage drinking. I don't. I remember what my peers and I were like at that age. In fact prohibition made getting hammered even more appealing.

Not to mention if the bulk of the drinking is occurring on or near campus, it's probably not adding too many drunk drivers to the road given how few underclassmen have cars.

I don't think lowering the drinking age will make anything better or worse but I've always thought it was pretty ridiculous you could get shipped off to war by the same government that won't let you legally drink a beer.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:04 pm

I don't know if lowering the drinking age will change the number of drunk 19-year-olds. But I do think it will increase the number of drunk 19-year-olds who are driving.

I'm not opposed to lowering the drinking age. If it were up to me, the drinking age would be 18. But no driver's license until you're 21.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

I may attract a little, or a lot, of derision for this. I think we should raise the age of adulthood back to 21. Voting, and military service, and drinking.
My friends and I were idiots at 18. Hell, many of us still were at 21.
Think about how you were at those ages and tell me you'd make decisions the same way now. The idea that 18 year-olds are fully adult is a fiction. A few are. Most aren't.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:27 pm

God, I sure was no adult at age 18 or 19. All my friends and I ought to be dead five times over.

I can see the appeal of 19 in campus towns, and few students have cars at that age. But we can't go back to the old days with every town and even township having its own unique drinking laws. That was one big clusterfuck of drunks on wheels, if anyone remembers. In rural areas, which Wisconsin still has plenty of, high school drunk crash fatalities were pretty much an annual ritual before your class graduated.

I do not have a solution.

21 for everything would be OK with me, but phasing it in would be a bitch.

ttt3
Forum Addict

Postby ttt3 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Thought I'd point out that the whole "college students don't own cars" thing is really only applicable to Madison and the Isthmus' crazy parking situation.... and maybe urban colleges like those in Milwaukee, etc. Many other college towns (i.e. Purdue, UIUC, and especially commuter colleges like Whitewater, etc) often have acres of low/no cost parking for students and I think car ownership is more prevalent or even necessary to make grocery runs, etc.

I personally think things are OK as they are. I think it's good for teenagers to drive as it prepares them for adulthood and independence. As a dad with teenagers at home, I can tell you chauffeuring teens around is the pits and encourages an entitlement/dependence mentality....we had to really push for our 16-year old to get her license just because we were sick of taking time out of our day to drive a perfectly able-bodied person to school everyday, work, activities, etc (believe it or not, many younger millenials care little about driving privileges and are perfectly happy to be chauffeured around....the fact that someone had to be inconvenienced for them to get where they want to be is often inconsequential to them).

The 21 drinking age certainly doesn't deter all underage drinking but from my experience was a decent enough barrier to make all day / everyday partying less likely.

Paleo2
Forum Addict

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Driverless cars may bring in lower drinking ages.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 am

"Sponsor of lower drinking age bill downplays bar ownership"

http://www.channel3000.com/news/sponsor ... /654568659

The bar is in a campground. Priceless headline though...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 am

He says most of the people who use the campground are retired.

Unless people retire at 19, I'll give him a pass.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”