Opting out of town zoning

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Opting out of town zoning

Postby Shorty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm

The latest political fight led to two write-in winners for Town of Middleton.

Assembly passes controversial Dane County zoning bill
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 38b3f.html

"A controversial bill that makes it easier for towns to withdraw from Dane County zoning passed the state Assembly on Thursday. The Assembly voted 57-34 to adopt Assembly Bill 109, which allows towns to call a special town vote within 30 days on whether to withdraw from county zoning during a one-year period every three years. The proposal as originally written would have removed any public voting requirement, but that provision was modified after strong vocal opposition, particularly from residents of the town of Middleton."

Backlash against zoning bill results in rare town board write-in wins
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 8246a.html

"Dane County Clerk Scott McDonell said he has never seen a successful write-in campaign in his 20 years in county politics. “It’s obviously a reaction to the effort to prevent town residents from being able to vote on opting out of town zoning,” said McDonell, a Democrat who supports the county’s approach to limit sprawling rural development. “If I were on a town board thinking about getting out of county zoning I would slow down.”

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Opting out of town zoning

Postby Cadfael » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:30 pm

It seems to me that the big deal wasn't really the question of whether to opt out of county zoning, it was removing the power of the public vote. The reason the write ins won was that the current admins wanted to make the vote a recommendation and put all the power in the hands of the town leaders.

The citizens didn't want their power of referendum taken away. That was the crux of it. Once you take it away for one thing, leaders start looking around for more.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”