Drowning beavers in Warner Park.

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Drowning beavers in Warner Park.

Postby Cadfael » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:02 am

The Madison parks division has abruptly removed all beaver traps from Warner Park after outraged residents began yanking the traps without city authorization late last week.

The trap is set under water at the lodge entrance and beaver eventually drowns. It takes about fifteen minutes or so.

I understand the issues. Beavers basically clear the shoreline of the trees they like, or they leave chewed trees ready to fall. They dam the waterways, they muddy the water. They leave tree trash all over the place. They're hard to relocate. I still can't condone holding them underwater in their own doorway till they die a long and painful death.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Drowning beavers in Warner Park.

Postby Beaver » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am

Sounds bad to me. I didn't know there was a beaver problem there.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm

They should shoot the little bastards instead. That's what we do at our cabin up north when the little fuckers flood our road.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am

http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/blog/?Id=12266

Parks Superintendent Statement on Beavers in Madison Parks
April 4, 2017 3:33 PM

"As previously detailed, Parks staff inspected the area around the lagoon at Warner Park and confirmed more than 12 trees had irreparable damage or had recently fallen to beaver destruction. Staff also determined that a number of the damaged trees would need to be removed due to their now hazardous condition and locations. If the beavers are left alone in the Warner lagoon, there is a high likelihood of continued tree and landscape damage. Additionally, beavers can modify the water levels in their environment very effectively which can lead to slowing the flow of water. In the case of the Warner lagoon, it is important to recognize that the lagoon is not simply a pond in the park. The lagoon functions as the primary discharge location of stormwater runoff for more than 1,100 acres on the northside of Madison. It is critically important to allow for this stormwater to be taken into and through the lagoon in order to avoid flooding issues...

Parks staff works diligently to provide wildlife management that applies ecological knowledge to populations of vertebrate animals and their plant and animal associates in a manner that strikes a balance between the needs of those populations and the needs of people. Our wildlife management work includes preservation, indirect intervention and direct intervention methods. Preservation methods are those that essentially let nature take its course. An example of this is allowing predators to maintain a presence in conservation parks to balance population of select species. Indirect intervention methods include vegetation and habitat modification. An example of this is the reduction in the amount of mowed turf next to water to reduce the desirability of the location for geese. Direct intervention includes population reduction strategies. This includes trapping, population control measures and other lethal taking methods. Parks staff does not take the decision to authorize lethal taking of animals lightly nor do we enjoy doing so. We do so only after considering these varying options based upon the totality of the specific circumstances.

Parks has historically relied on the expertise of licensed trappers in determining the type and placement of traps to provide the highest likelihood of a successful trapping operation with the lowest likelihood of unintended consequences such as inadvertently trapping a non-targeted species. The contracted trappers can use either live trapping or lethal body gripping traps authorized for use by the Wisconsin DNR. The Wisconsin DNR has stated that live trapping and relocation is, in most cases, not a good idea (WI DNR, Beaver Damage Control). There are a number of reasons for this, but an important one is that suitable relocation of a beaver is very difficult, if not impossible. Staff is unaware of any situation where a trapped beaver was able to be successfully relocated from a Madison park. We are interested in this discussion for potential relocation as an option and that we will be made aware of a location where beavers can be successfully relocated through this process. We have heard the concerns related to the use of lethal body gripping traps and we will be reviewing relevant research on this important topic.

Parks staff will continue to listen to the input from the many voices on this matter. Madison Parks appreciates the significant input we have received in regard to the issue of the recent limited trapping operation in Warner Park. We are impressed by the passion of those that have contacted us and their advocacy for a different plan of action. Parks staff will be working with the Wisconsin DNR, who owns land that is being impacted, as well as with City of Madison Engineering, who are responsible for stormwater management in Madison, to monitor the situation at Warner Park during the coming months."

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:35 am

You forgot something:
Sincerely,

Eric Knepp
Madison Parks Superintendent

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 am

Why would you want his name posted? It already said it was "Parks Superintendent Statement".

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:49 am

Why would you post nearly* the entirety of his statement, but leave that out??

Also, are you familiar with the concept of fair use?
admin wrote:Posts may contain excerpts from news articles or other pieces in keeping with fair use, but any posts containing longer verbatim passages from other publications will be deleted without warning.

* edited to add

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:55 am

I didn't post the entirety. I left out one paragraph. I figured people don't care about the name of the superintendent.

It's a blog release or public notice from the city. They are probably glad to get as much publicity as possible so would be glad to see all or most of it posted on web sites, facebook, etc.

Do you see any difference between a blog from the city and an article from a for-profit magazine or newspaper? I think fair use only applies to the latter.
Last edited by Beaver on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:05 am

Michael Patrick wrote:They should shoot the little bastards instead. That's what we do at our cabin up north when the little fuckers flood our road.

I don't consider them "little fuckers" but actually I think shooting them would be more humane than drowning.

As I said before, I understand the issues. I recognize they're messing up the landscape and they're pretty much impossible to relocate, mostly because the population has grown to where there really isn't any place to put them that doesn't already have too many beavers.

I'm not opposed to "lethal taking methods" but I'm not comfortable with inhumane methods. I understand that it costs more money to kill them cleanly. It's a measure of how human we are versus how heartless we are.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:22 pm

The ecologically appropriate solution would be to introduce more of the beaver's natural predators.

Wolverines!

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:35 pm

That would entail certain collateral costs itself, would it not? And we'd have to convince them that those beavers over there are better than those easy to catch rabbits.

I have begun to wonder if it would have been cheaper to have them live trapped them euthanized rather than running the gauntlet of news articles, explanations, protests, and debates they're going through now.

"Yes, we'll live trap them and try to find homes but you know, there aren't all that many homes, we'll probably have to put them down." I think most of the population would be okay with that even if everybody knew there wasn't going to be much searching for a good home.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Cadfael wrote:I think most of the population would be okay with that even if everybody knew there wasn't going to be much searching for a good home.

I'm pretty sure it's not "most of the population" they need to placate.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:28 pm

jman111 wrote:
Cadfael wrote:I think most of the population would be okay with that even if everybody knew there wasn't going to be much searching for a good home.

I'm pretty sure it's not "most of the population" they need to placate.

Right. It's the noisy part of the population.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Sorry. I should have said most of the people who care at all.

I'm pretty sure the noisy part of population is a larger demographic than that.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”