UW's failed, unconstitutional speech codes are an affront to the spirit of the First Amendment, at the very least.

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UW's failed, unconstitutional speech codes are an affront to the spirit of the First Amendment, at the very least.

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:58 am

Althouse, the great defender of free speech, wanted to ban Obama from speaking on campus.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UW's failed, unconstitutional speech codes are an affront to the spirit of the First Amendment, at the very least.

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:22 am

Link please.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 am

bdog wrote:It won't always be the Skokie Nazis they try to muzzle, some day it will be the Madison progressives.

You don't want that and neither do I.

Sure you do. So does IU2B. It's exactly what you're bleating for, to protect yourselves from phrases like  *white-guy trigger warning*  "micro-aggression," "safe space," and "trigger warning." But don't feel bad, other white dudes are cowering, too.

Madison365 wrote:University of Wisconsin Vice Chancellor for Financial Affairs Laurent Heller, who arrived in Madison from Berkeley, California in June, has asked the Engagement, Inclusion and Diversity Council attached to his office to find an alternative to the term “safe spaces,” apparently because the term makes some white people feel unwelcome.

“We’ve received feedback from some majority employees that they interpret the term ‘safe spaces’ to imply that an event or resource is not intended for them. Such a misunderstanding could side-track our efforts,” Heller said in a statement emailed to Madison365.

Aw, where's the love for the kids with all the cards?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Althouse, the great defender of free speech, wanted to ban Obama from speaking on campus.

bdog wrote:Link please.

Here.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 am

Ducatista wrote:
bdog wrote:It won't always be the Skokie Nazis they try to muzzle, some day it will be the Madison progressives.

You don't want that and neither do I.

Sure you do. So does IU2B. It's exactly what you're bleating for, to protect yourselves from phrases like  *white-guy trigger warning*  "micro-aggression," "safe space," and "trigger warning." But don't feel bad, other white dudes are cowering, too.

Madison365 wrote:University of Wisconsin Vice Chancellor for Financial Affairs Laurent Heller, who arrived in Madison from Berkeley, California in June, has asked the Engagement, Inclusion and Diversity Council attached to his office to find an alternative to the term “safe spaces,” apparently because the term makes some white people feel unwelcome.

“We’ve received feedback from some majority employees that they interpret the term ‘safe spaces’ to imply that an event or resource is not intended for them. Such a misunderstanding could side-track our efforts,” Heller said in a statement emailed to Madison365.

Aw, where's the love for the kids with all the cards?

DFQ in effect.

The FemiNazi strikes back! Men are evil, white men especially huh?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Althouse, the great defender of free speech, wanted to ban Obama from speaking on campus.

bdog wrote:Link please.

Here.

I miss Schabow.

I don't see anything about Althouse wanting to ban Obama.

Or did you just make that up?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:55 am

bdog wrote:The FemiNazi strikes back!    Men are evil, white men especially huh?

Self-loathing hysteria isn't a good look for you. (or anyone, really)

I'm a big fan of men as gender. As individuals, it's a mixed sack for sure.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:02 am

bdog wrote:I don't see anything about Althouse wanting to ban Obama.

Three conservative UW professors, including Althouse and poli sci's Donald Downs, wanted Obama off campus because his visit would cost the university money and Obama's rally would be of a (liberal) political nature. Big news back in the day.

Obama did speak on the library mall. I attended.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:10 am

Ducatista wrote:
bdog wrote:The FemiNazi strikes back!    Men are evil, white men especially huh?

Self-loathing hysteria isn't a good look for you. (or anyone, really)

I'm a big fan of men as gender. As individuals, it's a mixed sack for sure.

Right back at ya. Question is, why do you want to dumb it down?

This was a good thread. And then you bust in with the mind reading crap.

Gar asked for examples; did I say anything about trigger warnings? Nope. I brought up flag burning and racist graffiti.

Take a deep breath, we're not all loser men living in our parent's basement.

And I'm sure you exercise excellent personal hygiene.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:13 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
bdog wrote:I don't see anything about Althouse wanting to ban Obama.

Three conservative UW professors, including Althouse and poli sci's Donald Downs, wanted Obama off campus because his visit would cost the university money and Obama's rally would be of a (liberal) political nature. Big news back in the day.y

Obama did speak on the library mall. I attended.

Well THAT I remember. Hardly a call for a ban.

You should read the Isthmus article, Downs figures prominently.

I really do miss Schabow. I hope he didn't die.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 am

They wanted Obama banned from speaking on campus. Quibble over the term if you must. Should I have said disinvited or prevented from speaking on campus instead?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 am

bdog, I have no idea what your responses to me are even trying for. So *shrug* play through.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:44 am

Ducatista wrote:bdog, I have no idea what your responses to me are even trying for. So *shrug* play through.

Sometimes take a deep breath just means take a deep breath.

“Practicing regular, mindful breathing can be calming and energizing and can even help with stress-related health problems ranging from panic attacks to digestive disorders.”
Andrew Weil, M.D.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum Addict

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 pm

gargantua wrote:So, you want to give bigots (the Devil), the benefit of the law. I understand it. Actually, I'm kind of conflicted about it. Thing is, I don't hear about progressives burning crosses or using racial epithets. Got any equivalent behavior by Progressives, and I'll listen. And shouting down conservative viewpoints on a campus is wrong, but arguing about ideas is not the same as attacking someone for who they are. Is it permissible for some UW students to say that African American students don't belong because they're inherently inferior? Want to protect that speech?

Could this be what you mean, Garg, by "equivalent behavior by Progressives?" Granted this case stemmed from the burning of the American flag by lefties at the 1984 Republican National Convention in Dallas, and wow, that sure was a while back, "but still..."
http://time.com/3907444/flag-supreme-court-history/

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:39 am

The state lege is very concerned about Free Speech issues at the UW. And they've come up with a brilliant idea to protect Free Speech - harsh punishment for protesters.
"The worst part of it is this incredible litany of categories, most of which, as I say, are clearly unconstitutionally vague or imprecise or undefined," said Robert O'Neil, professor emeritus of law at the University of Virginia, where he specialized in the First Amendment law.

O’Neil is also a former University of Wisconsin System president.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”