Wagstaff's Annual "Why Do We Allow This?" Rant

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Wagstaff's Annual "Why Do We Allow This?" Rant

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Man arrested for 6th OWI

Sixth.
It should be literally impossible for anyone to get a sixth OWI and the fact that WI allows that to happen will never cease to amaze me.
One -- OK, sure. We all do dumb shit and we all make mistakes. Pay a fine, serve a little county jail time, court-mandated classes, whatever.
Two? License revoked, either permanently or until you've gone through rehab and been 100% alcohol free for a minimum of a year.
Three!? License permanently revoked; go to prison for a very, very long time. You are obviously a danger to yourself and others. We certainly throw people in jail for long sentences for a lot less.
Four? Not possible. You're in jail. Because you're a complete fucking asshole who deserves to be.

Seriously, can anyone explain to me why we are so lenient about these kinds of repeat offenders? The jackass in the article above hit several parked cars but was unaware he'd even been in an accident -- despite his airbag having deployed! After he regained consciousness. Behind the wheel. In a busy intersection. At 6pm.
Not driving drunk is as easy as simply not driving drunk.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wagstaff's Annual "Why Do We Allow This?" Rant

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 pm

Probably for the same reason that there's no uniform time of day during which it's legal (or illegal) to buy alcohol in Wisconsin.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 pm

You're not going to like this answer, but my theory is that so many people drive under the influence in this state that the combined effect of their passive resistance is enough to keep much meaningful change from occurring. After all, they might get caught themselves some day. But yeah, you really have to be messed up to accrue multiple convictions. At that point, you have a disease that society needs to be protected from.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am

Lots of people drive tipsy. You typically have to be pretty messed up to get caught. And I have to assume that even then most of the really messed up drivers don't get caught.

So if you've got 6 convictions, you're driving drunk a lot.

I think part of the reason we don't get harsher is that its commonly accepted that you "have to" drive everywhere. That we can't even imagine how to get from place to place without driving your own personal vehicle.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Tavern league runs WI. I agree it's a shame. This idiot was driving drunk in the afternoon:

Impaired driver struck multiple cars, arrested for 4th OWI
http://www.channel3000.com/news/officia ... /352477852

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Some friends are getting together for a dinner party next weekend, and I was listening to them make plans. Much drinking is expected. Everybody was laughing and saying "we'll come by Uber!"

I like these people, I hope they have a fine time, and I was glad they were making plans up front for how to get home. If this is the usual today, it's a great improvement over years past.

Of course it also requires a certain amount of money, more than some people feel they have. Not an excuse, just reality.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:25 pm

I want to know why we allow people to stop their "I'm going to listen to all my music alphabetically" threads right before they get to Iron Maiden. I mean, I read through that entire "Hawkwind, part X" review, for the love of Mike.

ttt3
Forum Addict

Postby ttt3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 am

I'm personally hoping driverless cars can help make this a thing of the past.

I can imagine a future where individuals don't own or need to own vehicles any longer, even if you live in the suburbs. Just request an Uber (or similar) when you need to go somewhere. No more parking garages everywhere full of cars taking up space. Cool stuff.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am

ttt3 wrote:I can imagine a future where individuals don't own or need to own vehicles any longer, even if you live in the suburbs.

There are freedoms that are guaranteed by our constitution, and there are other freedoms that people get used to and are loath to give up.

Think about abortion, whose status as a right was approved by the thinnest of margins in 45 or so years ago, and is still controversial. Regardless of how effective and foolproof contraception becomes, there will be many people that argue for that continued freedom.

Then think about how many *more* people are impacted by the freedom to move about when and where they choose; for most of them, many times daily. Even though the right to on demand individual transportation is not guaranteed by the constitution, removal of that freedom is going to be very challenging.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Many other countries have less lenient laws.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Igor wrote:Even though the right to on demand individual transportation is not guaranteed by the constitution, removal of that freedom is going to be very challenging.

It would not be challenging at all to make it cost so much that public transport becomes a viable alternative. As a country, we tend not to do a damn thing about anything till it hits us in the wallet.

All we have to do is stop subsidizing gas prices and pump the money we save into public transport. It can be done, other countries have managed.

In fact I'm quite certain we will end up in that scenario. It'll just take a lot more time than anyone wants. My best guess right now is fifty to a hundred years.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:54 pm

ttt3 wrote:I'm personally hoping driverless cars can help make this a thing of the past.

I can imagine a future where individuals don't own or need to own vehicles any longer, even if you live in the suburbs. Just request an Uber (or similar) when you need to go somewhere. No more parking garages everywhere full of cars taking up space. Cool stuff.

Quite possible, but it will take a while.

Uber's driverless cars are taking longer than expected. Seems to be working OK in Pittsburgh, but not so much in San Fran. An old-time SF resident and Uber driver explained the many problems there. There are so many different traffic laws, and even the regular human Uber drivers who are not long-term SF residents get clobbered by fines, such as $1000 for driving in a bike lane. (He pointed out some Uber drivers doing that), or big fines for picking people up in areas forbidden to Uber.

What really stopped the SF experiment was that the driver less cars couldn't handle bike lanes and bicycles correctly. Not only can that be a $1000 fine, but it could injure or kill a poor bicyclist.

I worry about the long-haul truckers.

That seems to be one of the last remaining decent paying blue collar jobs.

SO many factories are closed. Meat packing jobs are paying about half of what they used to (adjusted for inflation), for a number of reasons, including illegal aliens taking the jobs. Construction jobs are less likely to be unionized, and more likely to be taken by an illegal alien.

At what point are the long haul truckers replace by robots?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Driverless cars probably won't solve the problem, at least in the short term. I expect that whoever sits behind the steering wheel will have a legal responsibility to be able to take over if something goes awry. If you're drunk and things don't work out, it's gonna suck to be you.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:At what point are the long haul truckers replace by robots?

Variants of this question have been asked since even before the first flintknapper saw somebody hammering a knife out of some yellow stuff he found in the river bed. The answer is always "When that point arrives some of them find something else to do and some of them don't."

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Craft beer is killing people. I mean, super high alcohol levels + rail thin paleo-veggie beardos quaffing this stuff = death!

If we just had Miller Lite and Budweiser, the world would be a much safer place.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”