Eliminate Daylight Saving Time?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Eliminate Daylight Saving Time?

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Shorty wrote:But then it's darker in the morning, right? Makes it too hard to get to work on time. I think the only states that don't change clocks are AZ and Ind, two of the most far right States. What does that say?

I once lived in a state that didn't follow daylight saving time.

Governor was a Democrat
Both Senators were Democrats
Congressmen were all Democrats
Democrats controlled both houses of the state legislature
Mayor of the largest city was a Democrat
The state went overwhelmingly for Clinton this election.

What does that say?

It was Hawaii.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm

My neighbor says his kitty gets very confused with the time change. Kitty's tummy knows feeding time.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 pm

I forgot about Hawaii. And Indiana now observes it.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Indiana is split. The area near Chicago goes with Central Time.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Just pick a fucking time and stay with it already. This twice a year switching back and forth is really stupid in my opinion. And yes, me and my animals don't like it.
We are not saving any daylight any time I look at it.
Why to humans have to mess with nature?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:58 pm

I second that. It's the back and forth part that's disruptive, and not in a good way. Pick one and stick with it. I don't care which one.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:24 am

If we're picking one, I would prefer the summer version. One of the reasons I dislike November and December is that the sun sets so damn early. I find it depressing. And we're already on DST 8 months a year.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 am

You might get your wish.

The sun has set on a bid to eliminate daylight saving time in Wisconsin.

Rep. Michael Schraa, of Oshkosh, said Friday that he and Rep. Samantha Kerkman, of Salem, have decided to scrap the measure amid a social media backlash and will push instead to make daylight saving time a permanent fixture in the state.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 am

If you have ever had a kid wait for a school bus before 7 on a winter day you will appreciate standard time more.

OTOH, we are in the eastern part of the time zone. People in western Minnesota get to have later sunsets on the average.

GordonFreeman
Forum Addict

Postby GordonFreeman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Nobody tells me what time to get up or go outside or come inside or go to sleep.

you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:31 am

What do you think about if we just split the difference at the half hour and call it a day? No more switching back and forth, just keep the time at the half hour.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:11 am

My Chinese friends tell me their whole country recently turned itself into one big time zone. 7:00 on the east coast and 7:00 on the western border happen at the same time. This doesn't mean everybody across the country gets up or goes to work simultaneously -- I asked. The people live their lives on a reasonable local schedule calibrated to conditions where they are. The only thing that changed is how the hours are numbered.

Makes it easier to schedule business calls, planes and trains, and other features of modern life that operate across time zones in other parts of the world.

They haven't told me how people like the new arrangement, but having heard other stories about life in modern China I'm guessing that's not a consideration.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:My Chinese friends tell me their whole country recently turned itself into one big time zone. 7:00 on the east coast and 7:00 on the western border happen at the same time. This doesn't mean everybody across the country gets up or goes to work simultaneously—I asked. The people live their lives on a reasonable local schedule calibrated to conditions where they are. ...

Makes it easier to schedule business calls...

How does that make it easier to schedule business calls? It's just as easy to schedule a call with somebody in the Netherlands or San Diego as in Madison if you know their time zone. If, on the other hand, NL or San Diego were in the same zone as Madison but we each started work on whatever a "reasonable local schedule" might be... oof. No thanks.

Pro tip: It can get tricky when you're dealing with more than two time zones, especially if they're far flung. I use this whenever I need to get the UK and Australian offices on the same call.

Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby Aubrey McFate » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:My Chinese friends tell me their whole country recently turned itself into one big time zone. 7:00 on the east coast and 7:00 on the western border happen at the same time. This doesn't mean everybody across the country gets up or goes to work simultaneously -- I asked. The people live their lives on a reasonable local schedule calibrated to conditions where they are. The only thing that changed is how the hours are numbered.

Makes it easier to schedule business calls, planes and trains, and other features of modern life that operate across time zones in other parts of the world.

They haven't told me how people like the new arrangement, but having heard other stories about life in modern China I'm guessing that's not a consideration.

Not that recently. Wikipedia says China switched to a single time zone (from five) in 1949, although the western province of Xianjiang runs two hours behind for practical purposes. Hong Kong and Macau also have a few quirks, in theory if not in practice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_China

Return to “Local Politics & Government”