Judy Faulkner's Incredible Pledge

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Judy Faulkner's Incredible Pledge

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:44 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:
Ducatista wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:Amen to that!

You're amen-ing that editorial?

I am amening the gist of the Beaver's post, not necessarily every word his post, or every word of every link.

No need to prickle — I was asking, not accusing. The rest of your post made the rest of your opinions clear, I thought. And now you've repeated them, so they're even clearer.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Ducatista wrote:I dunno... I live next to an Epic couple, and work with several Epic spouses. The Epic kids work a lot less than I did in my first few years of agency life, for a LOT more money. And killer airline status.

Meaning they are out of town all the time.

Epic pays well, but when you factor in the hours and the time away from home, it doesn't pay as well PER HOUR as do some lower paying companies.

Realize that the Epic employees are generally way above average. Many of them could've wound up somewhere that pays less total, but pays more per hour. Or, they could've gone to Silicon Valley and made a lot more money in an incredibly expensive place to live.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 am

Really?

Is there a rule that says every couple of years we must all stop and lament the poor exploited Epic children who apparently have no say in the matter even though they and their parents agree that they (and their ilk) are among the smartest human beings alive?

I'll honor them with a moment of silence later today, maybe while I'm visiting my dad at the nursing home. I'll make sure to bring awareness of their plight to the young CNAs in dad's unit who make somewhere in the $12-15/hr range and spend the majority of their shift toileting and changing diapers and lifting dead weight helpless people from awkward back-wrenching positions.

Maybe I can catch "Mary", who the last time I saw her was looking forward to getting off her shift at 11PM so she could drive the 30 miles home and get some sleep before she had to be back at 7AM to cover a shift that's unfilled......because it's a low-paying and often incredibly unpleasant job that goes often unnoticed (and unappreciated) until something bad happens.

I wonder how often Epic employees have to walk the halls spraying Lysol to cover up the smell of human feces? Edit: I just remembered, they could simply go in their private office and shut the door.

Beaver wrote:IT’S BASICALLY JUST IMMORAL TO BE RICH
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/03/ ... to-be-rich

"Here is a simple statement of principle that doesn’t get repeated enough: if you possess billions of dollars, in a world where many people struggle because they do not have much money, you are an immoral person. The same is true if you possess hundreds of millions of dollars, or even millions of dollars. Being extremely wealthy is impossible to justify in a world containing deprivation."

Beaver wrote:Epic's Faulker should use her billions to build affordable housing
http://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/mail ... 14459.html

Oh give me a fucking break A.Q. Smith and Dave St. Amant. The only person who has any right to tell Judy Faulkner how to spend her money is Judy Faulkner.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Faulkner is rich because of a system specifically designed to allow those with more to unjustly take from those with less. So the idea that it's "her money" isn't really true any more than something that's stolen is "owned" by a thief. But then our economic and/or legal system isn't necessarily based on justice anyway.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:51 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Faulkner is rich because of a system specifically designed to allow those with more to unjustly take from those with less. So the idea that it's "her money" isn't really true any more than something that's stolen is "owned" by a thief.

Whose money is it then? And what is the exact amount at which any additional money isn't yours or makes you an immoral person? And where does anyone get the right to make that decision? As long as someone acquires their money legally, I don't see where it's anyone else's business. If it's the result of a corrupt system, try to change the system. Bitching about how much money certain individuals have doesn't change anything.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:03 pm

gargantua wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:Faulkner is rich because of a system specifically designed to allow those with more to unjustly take from those with less. So the idea that it's "her money" isn't really true any more than something that's stolen is "owned" by a thief.

Whose money is it then? And what is the exact amount at which any additional money isn't yours or makes you an immoral person?
That's debatable amongst people who seek a just world.

gargantua wrote:And where does anyone get the right to make that decision?
Where does anyone get the right to make any decision at all? Where did you get the right to criticize my post, for example?

gargantua wrote: As long as someone acquires their money legally, I don't see where it's anyone else's business.
Legal and just are often two completely separate things. If it's wrong to protest against injustice, when is it right to?

gargantua wrote:If it's the result of a corrupt system, try to change the system. Bitching about how much money certain individuals have doesn't change anything.
If my post bothers you, then change the system of how you see them instead of bitching about it.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:58 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Faulkner is rich because of a system specifically designed to allow those with more to unjustly take from those with less. So the idea that it's "her money" isn't really true any more than something that's stolen is "owned" by a thief. But then our economic and/or legal system isn't necessarily based on justice anyway.

Oh bullshit. She is smarter than you, works harder than you, sacrificed more than you and took more risk than you. Don't be a petty jealous little prick, man up and admit it. Given the obstacles she has faced in life, she's inspirational.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Haha! :)

Good one! There's no doubt in my mind she'd be rich either way. But she definitely benefits from a system designed to make her wealthier than what she would be in a just world that pays people fairly for the work they do.

I consider almost everyone to be smarter than I am, except people who support that system. Who would be dumb enough to throw away a bright future and become homeless like I did just because I was depressed and didn't have a family to support me? I should've buckled down and made something more out of it. But I felt obligated to stay home and help my adoptive mother, who my adoptive father mercilessly abused, and paid the price for it.

So you can shove your emotions up your ass where your head is, David.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:52 pm

david cohen wrote:... she's inspirational.
Wha? She's done a TED talk??

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:28 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Haha! :)

Good one! There's no doubt in my mind she'd be rich either way. But she definitely benefits from a system designed to make her wealthier than what she would be in a just world that pays people fairly for the work they do.

I consider almost everyone to be smarter than I am, except people who support that system. Who would be dumb enough to throw away a bright future and become homeless like I did just because I was depressed and didn't have a family to support me? I should've buckled down and made something more out of it. But I felt obligated to stay home and help my adoptive mother, who my adoptive father mercilessly abused, and paid the price for it.

You have been up my ass? Surprise!

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 pm

It's pretty well known that Faulkner is a "differently abled" person, so kindly, instead of fucking me, go fuck yourself pal.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:00 pm

How so is she "differently disabled?"

And seriously, you started the fucking here. Why not set an example and take some responsibility for your own actions first before you pull a reach-around on me?

It's obvious that both you and Wagstaff lurk waiting for a chance to pounce because of the Israel War Crimes thread. I usually don't mind. We all have the right to defend what's precious to us. But it is a curious thing how incurious you are about that whole situation. Your mind is made up.

I'm also very grateful to Professor Wagstaff for noting that I'm not anti-semitic. I will fight so that I never am. I suspect that doesn't matter to him, but that was a great feeling to hear that from him.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:18 pm

david cohen wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:Haha! :) ...

You have been up my ass? Surprise!

How else can anyone reach you? If you have a better way, please fill us in...

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:But she definitely benefits from a system designed to make her wealthier than what she would be in a just world that pays people fairly for the work they do.

And who exactly is deciding how wealthy she, or anyone really, should be allowed to be?

Within her world I'd say people are paid more than fairly. They are well compensated and get to work in one of the most well-appointed corporate environments in the country.

I'll agree that there are plenty of people who are wealthier than they should be. Professional athletes, former politicians, bailed-out bank executives, and the guys in Green Day to name a few, but to lump all rich people together as immoral and not deserving of what they have is as ridiculous as any broad brush generalization that anyone makes.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:24 pm

I probably jumped the gun a bit. That's my programming. After reading more about it, I agree she's better than most, which means she'd probably be even better if the system was geared that way. But like all corporations, she too has to remain competitive, and has to somewhat follow the design that's in place. So it isn't her fault the system is set-up that way, but I think you can lump most corporations into benefiting from it. Because even if they are better than others, the people at the top still have a huge advantage.

I haven't found anything on a disability she has after a couple google searches.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”