High speed rail

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: High speed rail

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:31 am

dogmeat wrote:The reason we're paying that company is because the jackass Doyle made promises that he was not really in a position to carry out.

He was the duly elected Governor. After the election, he still had the legal authority to sign agreements that would have effectively tied Walker's hands. He chose not to. I remember it very well because I was annoyed by it. I can't imagine Walker doing something like that.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:41 pm

gargantua wrote:After the election, he still had the legal authority to sign agreements that would have effectively tied Walker's hands. He chose not to. I remember it very well because I was annoyed by it. I can't imagine Walker doing something like that.

Wait a second, wasn't it a signed contract between the state and Talgo that got us sued? What other agreements could he have signed and declined to?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 pm

dogmeat wrote:The reason we're paying that company is because the jackass Doyle made promises that he was not really in a position to carry out.

Walker campaigned heavily on halting that train project and the majority voted for him. Do you not know that train was never a popular project? Outside of Madison the support was pretty non-existent. The people of Wisconsin didn't want that train. Paying less than $10 million to end that debacle is actually a bargain considering how much that mess was going to cost the state.

The sad news is that Walker isn't paying Talgo cash to settle the suit. He is financing the $9 million via bonds so, in the end, it will cost us about $12 million...sorta like his Sears credit card.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:41 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
gargantua wrote:After the election, he still had the legal authority to sign agreements that would have effectively tied Walker's hands. He chose not to. I remember it very well because I was annoyed by it. I can't imagine Walker doing something like that.

Wait a second, wasn't it a signed contract between the state and Talgo that got us sued? What other agreements could he have signed and declined to?

He could have done the final signoff on the Federal funding, which would have posed a considerable legal problem to undo. Doyle's comment at the time was that the voters had spoken and he would not tie the new governor's hands. The Talgo suit was a byproduct.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:12 pm

I'll tell you this - if you want rail developed in this state - advocate for frack sand or Bakken oil or Edmonton tar oil carriage. That is how you get rail development. If you want passanger rail that might threaten 1 to 2% of ...
Fill in the fucking blank.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Plain Talk: Killing passenger rail just another Scott Walker political ploy

The actual numbers worked out to be much worse than I thought. The details are in the article, but here's the takeaway:
We've spent more than $100 million and the state's capital city is still without a passenger rail connection.

THERE'S your boondoggle, ya short-sighted right-wing dumbfucks.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:11 am

ilikebeans wrote:Plain Talk: Killing passenger rail just another Scott Walker political ploy

The actual numbers worked out to be much worse than I thought. The details are in the article, but here's the takeaway:
We've spent more than $100 million and the state's capital city is still without a passenger rail connection.

THERE'S your boondoggle, ya short-sighted right-wing dumbfucks.

"state's capital" = Madison => that biggish/scary city that has had much of its economic engine humbled - even if it still leads. This isn't politics - this has been about persons fucking with the politics of the people. Although, the people went along. 'Tis sad but true.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue May 24, 2016 11:45 am

Spencer Black: Still shaking my head at Scott Walker's train folly
http://host.madison.com/opinion/column/ ... user-share

"Sometimes a politician does something so dumb that it’s hard to stop shaking your head at the folly. Gov. Scott Walker’s decision to hand back $810 million to the federal government — money that would have built a fast train from Madison to Milwaukee and Chicago — remains one of the most unfortunate and stupid acts in recent Wisconsin history. Not only did Walker deprive Wisconsin of a modern rail system, his ideological rigidity cost our state thousands of jobs and tens of millions of dollars.

I was reminded recently just how foolish and harmful Walker's actions were when I had the chance to ride a fast train in Europe. I was in France visiting my son, who is teaching at his university’s Paris campus. While there, I traveled to southern France by train. A train trip creates 90 percent less pollution than flying.

My destination was farther from Paris than Louisville, Kentucky, is from Madison. Yet I arrived in less than three hours, traveling over 180 miles an hour in total comfort. In a few places, the train paralleled a freeway, and although the cars were driving at their top speed, the train flew by them as if they were standing still. Since I was in France, I sat back with a glass of wine and observed the scene out the window. It was like riding through a painting — small villages of stone houses and ancient churches amidst fields of deep green and vibrant yellow.

Another benefit of the train was convenience. It went from city center to city center — no long drives to and from the airport on the outskirts of town. When I fly, I’m admonished to be at the airport at least an hour before my flight departs. There was a time warning for the train: They urged passengers to be at the station two minutes before departure."

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:43 am

Caltrain acts to keep electrification plan alive
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/arti ... 964012.php

"Caltrain moved to keep its plan to electrify the Peninsula rail service alive Monday by extending the contracts of the contractors who would do the work for four months. The contractors were set to start work Wednesday on the electrification of the system, but the Trump administration temporarily pulled the plug on the project by delaying $647 million in federal funds.

The new agreements, hurriedly reached after the administration’s decision, extends the contractors’ ties to the project to June 30 but could cost Caltrain up to $20 million that it hadn’t anticipated spending."

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 am

Beaver wrote:...but the Trump administration temporarily pulled the plug on the project by delaying $647 million in federal funds.

Huh. It's as if all the bluster about infrastructure spending is just that...bluster.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:05 pm

I'd settle for normal speed rail if it was reliable, unlike Amtrak.

Energy efficiency has to be a consideration. Reducing energy consumption has to be a consideration.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:01 pm

nonyuppie wrote:I'd settle for normal speed rail if it was reliable, unlike Amtrak.

Where Amtrak owns the tracks (i.e., the Northeast Corridor) it's very reliable. Also, the Hiawatha, for some reason -- you could almost set your watch by it. And any train I've ridden within New York State, except for the time there was that unfortunate freight derailment outside Utica. Elsewhere it's reliably late. You get what you fail to invest in, or maintain, or upgrade. Even so, I'd rather take the train than fly to the places I usually (and sometimes unusually) go.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”