Former Mayor to Landmarks Commission: Drop Dead

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Former Mayor to Landmarks Commission: Drop Dead

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

CapFox wrote:The city council's longest meetings have to do with relatively insignificant developments in a very small downtown neighborhood and they leave the impression that Madison doesn't really want new development.

This is one project we're talking about here. There is development going on everywhere in this town. Have you been downtown lately and looked up. There are fucking cranes everywhere. If you're gonna bash Madison, get your facts straight.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Cranes do that?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm

fennel wrote:Cranes do that?

As they fly :thumbup:

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:20 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:I do hope that Dave C. directly talks to Stu. That could be a useful civic discussion.

Questions for Stu.

Stu, if the overwhelming consensus after the Edgewater Landmark Hotel opens this Fall is that it is visually compatible, what potential influence will that have on the Landmarks Commission? Also, do you have any regrets in relying so heavily on a quatitative analysis when determining visual compatibility?

Swim, I've pretty much given up hoping the former mayor will engage me on this or anything else.

To your questions. I fully expect most Madisonians will think the new Edgewater is a good thing that they're glad was approved. I would doubt, tho, that they would undertake the specific analysis that LC is directed to undertake per the ordinance. The LC relied on a quantitative analysis because we believe the concept of "gross volume" is itself inherently quantitative. (Yes, "compatibility" is qualitative, but the concept that's being measured is gross volulme, not design). It is very likely that several of the procedural and substantive standards in the ordinance will be revised; until they are, however, we are likely to interpret and apply the ordinance as we have done.

I hope that answers your questions. Thanks,S.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 pm

CapFox wrote:Are these the city's biggest problems? Do they even impact a significant percentage of the population? Why aren't the city's biggest brains working on that stuff? Why are they so busy challenging each other to ridiculous arguments about consistent architecture or whatever?

And why are some of you so eager to let them get away with it?

Why are you so interested in rehashing a decision that has already been made? One that affects a rather insignificant percentage of the city's population, I might add, or perhaps even less than that (does Steve Brown even live in Madison?).

Any time you would like to propose one or several solutions to "the city's biggest problems" I'm sure you will get a lively (and perhaps even productive) discussion. I, for one, would be interested in seeing if there is any consensus on what "the city's biggest problems" are -- I know my list has shifted over the years.

On the other hand, if you're only interested in attacking individual officeholders on a personal level or complaining about city "gobbledy-gook" that you clearly haven't even tried to understand, then you will get the reaction you deserve (and want?). You're not the only one who enjoys anonymously tossing around overheated rhetoric, bombast and insults (clever or less so), after all. I'll hand it to Stu and ex-Mayor Dave -- they're actually willing to attach their names to what they say, and (presumably) to take the consequences.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Something snoqueen said back upthread had me thinking about one possible improvement to the process in historic districts. She pointed out that a certain area around Gilman was already kind of a mess.

I don't think we should do away with historic districts, but I would think we could come up with a mechanism for portions of an historic district that are already screwed up. Maybe for more blighted segments, loosen the standards for massing and compatibility that apply to the rest of the district.

I'm not saying don't have standards, just that they could be more rigid than the city at large but less rigid than the majority of the district itself.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm

In that one part of that one district, the economic incentives to fix the older buildings back up to a nice historically correct standard are demonstrably lacking.

I think at one time TIF funds went to fix up blighted areas (their term) that would not get fixed "but for" the use of TIF. That isn't happening now for a variety of reasons.

If changing some wording to allow other uses for the land on which the blighted buildings stand would help, it's worth discussing. I agree any changes should apply only to specific parts of Gilman, because other historic districts are working pretty well and some have distinctly higher property values than similar but non-designated areas.

Maybe what we have here is an example of a partially failed historic district.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”