Judge Markson Finds Capitol Rules Unconstitutional

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Judge Markson Finds Capitol Rules Unconstitutional

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rabble, are you implying that a teacher from Oconomowoc is less like to be arrested then a teacher from Milwaukee?

It depends on whether or not the teacher signed the Walker recall petition.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Pussy Riot supports Wisconsin protesters

Members of the Moscow-based band Pussy Riot are calling on Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen to dismiss cases against protesters arrested for singing in the Capitol building.

Van Hollen's office remains mum.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Pussy Riot supports Wisconsin protesters

Members of the Moscow-based band Pussy Riot are calling on Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen to dismiss cases against protesters arrested for singing in the Capitol building.

Van Hollen's office remains mum.

Wait, Van Hollen isn't responding to the demands of a moderately talented Russian shock band?

Glad I'm sitting down already.

Seriously if any of the candidates for Attorney General even mention Pussy Riot in the next 6 months I won't even consider voting for them.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:21 pm

I just want to hear Van Hollen to say pussy out loud.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I just want to hear Van Hollen to say pussy out loud.

Don't be silly, he has people for that.

Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby Maggie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Maggie wrote:Who Hired This Cop?

That's a good question. He's got sergent stripes which means he could very likely have been with the capitol police for several years. I guess based on the theory that the governor is responsible for hiring individual police officers, It's fairly likely that Doyle hired him.

Who know Doyle was such an ass.

On a more serious note, who makes a 2:26 long video that effectively ends at the 1:15 mark and leaves the next minute and a half blank?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:03 am

State DOJ files first appeals in Capitol singalong cases

The State is spending good money after bad in an attempt to justify their crackdown on speech they don't like.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:06 pm

The Wisconsin Department of Justice is refusing to comply with a court order.

Jeff Scott Olson is a seasoned Madison civil rights attorney whom you would think has seen it all. But he can still be moved to wonderment at the sheer bureaucratic intransigence of the state in prosecuting singers.

“Heaven to Betsy,” he chuckles while reading the court-ordered cost-benefit analysis on the merits of prosecuting some 450 civil cases against participants of the Solidarity Sing Along. “I suppose this is a little rigid for my taste.”

The state Department of Justice Thursday forked over the document, ordered by Dane County Judge Peter Anderson on Jan. 31. Anderson wanted to know why the state was so bent on prosecuting the cases, essentially tickets to protesters for violating rules at the state Capitol that are no longer in effect.

In the letter Thursday, which really wasn’t a cost-benefit analysis at all, Assistant Deputy Attorney General Daniel Lennington informed the judge that basically, it's none of his business.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:19 pm

It was a moronic order in the first place. Judges are supposed to rule on the legal merits of the case, not on it's cost effectiveness. I'm rather surprised the DoJ didn't appeal the order just on principle. Throw the charges out, fine. But really, the criminal justice system is by it's very nature a money sink, any time the state brings charges money is being thrown down a hole and pissed on.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm

You are quite the apologist for the Walker administration and the GOP controlled DOJ.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Who's apologizing for them? I'm calling someone else's decision moronic. That doesn't preclude me from thinking other's are just as moronic or simply complete fucking assholes. I'm fully capable of thinking lots of people are fuck ups. I know as the quintessential towel boy for the DNC and Unions this has to confuse you, but some of us see both sides doing shit stupid things and are happy to point them out. Calling a Republican like Walker a fucktarded jackhole with the leaderships skills of Corporal Klink doesn't mean I can't also think some judge went off his meds and issued an order that at best is moronic and in actuality is probably a blatantly inappropriate political statement when made from the bench.

It was a moronic order with no basis in law and as a matter of precedent the DOJ should have appealed it.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:17 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It was a moronic order in the first place. Judges are supposed to rule on the legal merits of the case, not on it's cost effectiveness. I'm rather surprised the DoJ didn't appeal the order just on principle. Throw the charges out, fine. But really, the criminal justice system is by it's very nature a money sink, any time the state brings charges money is being thrown down a hole and pissed on.

Actually I disagree. You are right that the judge shouldn't stick his nose into it this way. But this is exactly what precedence is all about. The courts have already tossed one case regarding this. So the DOJ is going to bring 450 more cases that will be dismissed.

Seems like a purposefully waste of time and money so that the judge asks, "Hey do you really want to do this knowing the precedence is to dismiss the charges."

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:18 pm

HawkHead wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:It was a moronic order in the first place. Judges are supposed to rule on the legal merits of the case, not on it's cost effectiveness. I'm rather surprised the DoJ didn't appeal the order just on principle. Throw the charges out, fine. But really, the criminal justice system is by it's very nature a money sink, any time the state brings charges money is being thrown down a hole and pissed on.

Actually I disagree. You are right that the judge shouldn't stick his nose into it this way. But this is exactly what precedence is all about. The courts have already tossed one case regarding this. So the DOJ is going to bring 450 more cases that will be dismissed.

Seems like a purposefully waste of time and money so that the judge asks, "Hey do you really want to do this knowing the precedence is to dismiss the charges."

Also, you must not know Judge Markson. I guess a different Judge ordered the analysis which makes sense knowing Judge Markson.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”